(Topic ID: 293218)

Will a new coil fix my rattling gate mech?

By rockwell

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by rockwell
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210411_182022837 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I know the outlane gate coil on Globetrotters is notoriously noisy, mine certainly is. I was tinkering with the mech, trying to dull the sound but so far no luck. Will replacing the coil have any affect? Figure it's worth a shot, but wanted to see if anyone here has any other tips for quieting that fella down. Thanks!

PXL_20210411_182022837 (resized).jpgPXL_20210411_182022837 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

It might. On EMs the usual way to fix this is to sand the top of the coil and the area on the plate it contacts to be flat again

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It might. On EMs the usual way to fix this is to sand the top of the coil and the area on the plate it contacts to be flat again

Hmm, interesting. I can give this a shot.

#4 2 years ago

Adjust the return leaf spring there as light as you can get away for it to work reliably and not tighter than that, too. A relay will usually buzz more the less return tension there is on it.

#5 2 years ago

I thought the buzz was a “feature”

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Adjust the return leaf spring there as light as you can get away for it to work reliably and not tighter than that, too. A relay will usually buzz more the less return tension there is on it.

I'll look at that as well. Thanks for the tip.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

I thought the buzz was a “feature”

I mean it is nice to have a little environmental din while I play, as opposed to dead silence. Maybe if they could make the rattle sound like crowd noise or a nice little tune

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-a-new-coil-fix-my-rattling-gate-mech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.