Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 698 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will a looming recession impact your NIB pinball purchases?”

• Yes. I'm canceling or holding off on orders I would have made. 121 votes
      34%
    • No. Keep them coming! 117 votes
      33%
    • I couldn't afford the games before the recession. 121 votes
      34%

(359 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    loser.gif
    IMG_4146.gif
    IMG_0515 (resized).png
    241747A3-023C-47C0-9230-5ABF8E9D3DAB (resized).jpeg
    1C233C4C-5489-4531-A2B8-7BAE75E21E10 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-16 8.10.24 PM (resized).png
    IMG_6599.gif
    IMG_20231216_190741.gif
    ch (1) (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider habo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm praying for a recession on Pinside recession threads but that seems to be pretty unrealistic.
    I don't think I've ever seen this many recession posts on online pinball forums. Like...even when we were actually IN a recession - rather than just people oddly praying we would have one - nobody posted on RGP about recessions as much.
    So what gives? Why are recession threads so popular these days? If we actually enter one, will there be fewer recession threads? Is there something about the "looming" that has us addicted to these?

I just hope it doesn't affect my ability to buy a manly theme or affect my manliness

#15 1 year ago

annnnd Triggered

3 weeks later
    #78 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Also gotta factor in that these job numbers are well.... contrived and total bullshit
    So much of our economy is gig workers and people who jump from job to job or have 3 jobs.
    Counting as a job someone who leaves Dunkin Donuts to work at Starbucks is job creation? Same person probably changes jobs again next month..
    Corp layoffs are coming and I can you tell most business are not hiring right now.

I'm not certain the numbers are "contrived". A business has to register workers with the IRS/Social security number to take taxes etc. That's how I believe these numbers are reported.

2 months later
    #97 1 year ago

NIB games right now are just too expensive anymore period for me anywise. Even the secondary pin market for newer games is nuts and has been for a while. I'd rather buy new windows for my house to save on heating/cooling or something right now however, I'm a hypocrite in buying a newer game recently so don't listen to me

The markets, economy etc...

I know people are worried right now with inflation and looming recession but my finance guy came over the other night for our semi annual meeting to discuss what's going on with the economy. There was good news and not great news but not terrible news. I'm no roadmap to explaining finance but this is how I understood things. As far as recessions go the economy right now is not technically in a recession. In a recession, there is high unemployment which there isn't right now. We cant fill all the jobs available. The "weirdness" all things of the economy and markets can be chalked up to pandemic related - supply chains, China not producing goods etc. Coming out of the pandemic, people have money are are spending. To counteract this the Fed has been raising interest rates to curb inflation. People where still spending so they kept raising. Its touchy with raising the rates to dial in inflation. Too much will throw you into a recession. Its like Goldie Locks and the 3 Bears. The Fed is going to raise rates again probably 2 more times before next year. We are probably going to have a recession though. Historically, recessions don't last that long - about 6 months. The "Great Recession" of 2008 last about 18 months. People that are panicking and pulling money out of the markets or making big changes to their 401k's are probably going to loose more money in end. Last week the market took a dive -800 points and finished up 300. People that day trade have to be loosing their minds. When the market is like it is its better to buy than to sell if you can and have your portfolio diversified. Compound interest is a good thing.

The not so bad news if you look at years that finished negative vs positive since the 1920s there have been more positive by a long shot. When looking at the longest run of years where the economy has finished negative consecutively its been about 3-4 years in a row. That's not typical though. When the market is down one year it rebounds positively. I don't have a big book of market numbers like my finance guy but I did find something to show. Even after the worst years in the US market it has rebounded significantly. The point is, although it absolutely sucks right now this is temporary so don't look at your portfolio I don’t know what’s going to happen for the remainder of 2022.

It wouldn’t surprise me if things got worse. It wouldn’t surprise me if things got better.
    This might sound like a cop-out but I’m long humility right now because things are so confusing.
    There’s nothing you can do about the losses we’ve already experienced. It’s a sunk cost at this point.
    The important thing to remember is the lower stocks go the higher your expected returns are going out into the future.
    Lower stock prices are a good thing for long-term investors.

Screenshot-2022-05-20-222418.pngScreenshot-2022-05-20-222418.png

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Another indicator of economic crash: The cargo ports in Los Angeles are now cleared up due to a severe reduction in imports. If you weren't paying attention earlier this year, the ports were so jammed up that ships were waiting off the coast for weeks to get a chance to unload their cargo. Now there's no wait.

A report last week noted water levels of the Mississippi river were so low the last few years that its affecting Cargo ports in Louisiana. Billions of dollars of goods come through those ports and without enough water its grounding the ships.

https://www.fox8live.com/2022/10/06/major-port-coast-guard-closely-monitor-mississippi-river-levels/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/24/weather/weather-rain-mississippi-river-severe-storms-wxn/index.html

2 weeks later
    #157 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Those META layoffs hitting hard. Ouch.

People have been leaving the human sesspool known as Facebook/Meta in droves for other platforms. Not so much of the loom/doom of the economy but going all in on virtual reality and rebranding to Meta hasn't been successful. iOS privacy update, called App Tracking Transparency, undermined Facebook’s ability to target users with ads, costing the company billions and dealing with the continued fallout of the Cambridge Analytica isn't helping. Sorry for the topic post.

#162 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I'm seeing a lot of people on slack discussing the layoffs at META, Twitter, and other companies and there's clearly alarm in people's tone.
    The inflation report was better than expected but still nearly 4 times the normal rate.
    LOL at Disney with the double whammy of a terrible earnings report and then seeing their political adversaries win on an unprecedented level in Florida. Disney is a huge mess and they created it themselves.

None of these were due to looming economy but their owners mismanaging their companies. Meta expanded too quickly and spent billions in their virtual reality. Musk was begging advertisers yesterday to stay. They're leaving because of his nutty actions in the past week since he took over. Random layoffs/rehires and political tweets when he said Twitter should be neutral. He then mocks fleeing users by tweeting a meme with Nazi soldier.

2 weeks later
    #226 1 year ago
    6AF3177F-669E-4F87-9483-2665B4C98702.gif6AF3177F-669E-4F87-9483-2665B4C98702.gif
    1 month later
    10 months later
    #571 4 months ago

Since the end of October my retirement portfolio made over $130K back from being down half that.

#605 4 months ago

The market just closed at the highest level ever 37000. It’s reacting to the fed saying they don’t see the need to raise interest rates any more as inflation is cooling to 3.1% They’ll slowly lower interest rates next year which is good news. Gas is down to 2020 levels with the US is producing more. This is lowering prices with shipping goods. Housing still sucks but part of the problem is wealthy companies buying up all the housing. They just introduced a bill to stop this. Consumer confidence is up also. Job growth is up again with unemployment down to 3.7 below 4% for 27 straight months. Unions are stronger getting double digit wage increases for nearly 900000 workers.

Things are looming the right direction.

#617 4 months ago

If I posted a bunch of links or graphs it wouldn’t make any difference. I’m shocked people use eggs and feelings to fact check. People see what the want to see. Alright, one link. Oil production is up. Natural gas is up.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MCRFPUS2&f=M

#648 4 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Verifiable facts are the best kind of facts

Indubitably!

#661 4 months ago

Prices shot up on everything during Covid which affected the supply chain and workforce. Significant weather events and war doesn't help. Consumer habits dramatically changed and going back to a hybrid of what it was before the pandemic. Good news - oil is world commodity and is cheaper which should translate to shipping goods, food etc cheaper. The market is as strong as its ever been. Inflation is cooling finally. The Fed isn't raising interest rates any more which will ease interest rates. Hard to believe this all happened in just a 3-4 year time span.

Best advice is don't have a big "nut" in life. Don't owe anyone money or buy things on credit.

What this has to do with tacos, eggs or EM pins I don't know.

#663 4 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Corporate greed made sure it stayed that way too.

Agreed!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider habo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-a-looming-recession-impact-your-nib-pinball-purchases?tu=habo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.