Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 698 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will a looming recession impact your NIB pinball purchases?”

• Yes. I'm canceling or holding off on orders I would have made. 121 votes
      34%
    • No. Keep them coming! 117 votes
      33%
    • I couldn't afford the games before the recession. 121 votes
      34%

(359 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    loser.gif
    IMG_4146.gif
    IMG_0515 (resized).png
    241747A3-023C-47C0-9230-5ABF8E9D3DAB (resized).jpeg
    1C233C4C-5489-4531-A2B8-7BAE75E21E10 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-16 8.10.24 PM (resized).png
    IMG_6599.gif
    IMG_20231216_190741.gif
    ch (1) (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 1 year ago

I'm praying for a recession on Pinside recession threads but that seems to be pretty unrealistic.

I don't think I've ever seen this many recession posts on online pinball forums. Like...even when we were actually IN a recession - rather than just people oddly praying we would have one - nobody posted on RGP about recessions as much.

So what gives? Why are recession threads so popular these days? If we actually enter one, will there be fewer recession threads? Is there something about the "looming" that has us addicted to these?

#21 1 year ago

I know when I think "mature," I think "Acedanger!"

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You are such a <Removed by moderation>

I can only imagine what this said but I imagine I'll see you next Tuesday!

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Absolutely this. Assuming I keep my job, etc.

You know what they say...a recession is when your neighbor has to sell his pins. A depression is when YOU have to sell your pins!

3 weeks later
    #75 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There doesn't appear to be a recession looming when over 500,000 jobs were added for July.
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coming-up-u-s-jobs-report-for-july-11659701564

Fuck. That’s so disappointing.

We have a lot of people here rooting for a recession.

2 months later
    #122 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Save your money for now. Winter is coming.

Are you saying we are in for some kind of a bubble-bursting?

#125 1 year ago

My favorite part of every bubble burst thread is where folks start to indulge their lustful fantasies about what they’ll do when the market and economy totally collapses yet we are all still buying pinball machines and yet they are somehow all suddenly dirt cheap.

“And I’m gonna buy an Addams, fully restored and tastefully modded, for $4,000! And I’m gonna get a sweet GZ LE for $7,000…oh it’s gonna be so sweet!”

You gotta dream big, I get it!

#129 1 year ago

OK so the economy has totally collapsed, is in the toilet, and we are in the midst of a paradigm-shifting recession that is destroying our country as we speak.

When do the pinball prices drop? I'm eager to scoop 'em up!

#144 1 year ago

Looming looming looming, keep that recession looming...looming looming looming...Pinside!!!

1 week later
    #154 1 year ago

This recession has been looming so long it's practically a quilt!

#158 1 year ago

Damn. Well I guess the recession will be looming for another two years now. So much looming.

Just keep us updated and frightened please!

#163 1 year ago

Musk is an absolute moron and paid $44 billion for a sinking ship that he has no idea how to fix.

His sweeping changes so far are all hilariously bad and he’s gonna lose all his money. It’s almost like what would happen if Pinside took charge of Stern.

The old twitter gang are laughing all the way to the bank. It’s like someone who is on the hook for a Halloween deposit spot and somehow finds someone dumb enough to buy it for well over face value.

Has nothing to do with the economy just a rich douchebag’s folly.

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

DOW up 1,000 points today. What recession?

Economic recovery is looming

#171 1 year ago

People who worship Elon Musk are morons.

Why is everybody always looking to some rich douche bag to give their life meaning? I really don’t get it.

You don’t need them!

#173 1 year ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

All this looming has me wondering if we will see people asking to borrow Escaleras again trying to clean out their grandparent’s basement. I do miss those rants where we all agreed.

Speaking of looming, check this thing out. Must be 100 years old

Under a bunch of crap in my shop.

5775E29B-ED9B-4678-AF9B-3266466564D8 (resized).jpeg5775E29B-ED9B-4678-AF9B-3266466564D8 (resized).jpeg
    #176 1 year ago
    Quoted from MonsieurCS:

a brilliant tactician no doubt[quoted image]

LMAO!

Dusnt matter which isle your living on, its a fiasco! That’s some bull crap their!!

#178 1 year ago
    Quoted from woody76:

right, and these pinside idiots are saying he is going to go broke. LOL.

Is it like a requirement that all your rich heroes drive businesses into bankruptcy? Why is that an attractive quality?

Disaster seems to be looming for twitter!

#185 1 year ago

Not sure what you mean by that, but it appears Pennsylvania shares the same kind of American values I do. So you and are pretty similar, based on that.

Regardless, next time you are in New York, I’d be happy to enjoy some crudite with you! No reason geographical differences should tear us apart!

Pinside summit looming?

2 weeks later
    #229 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Is there any denying at this point that the NIB pinball market has collapsed except for a few titles? I propose a new term: "Holding the box." It's like "holding the bag" but with NIB games that flippers can't sell without taking losses.

I do believe this man is hysterical!

Breathe into this paper bag sir!

#233 1 year ago

Jive vs. jibe:

What say you?

Is an answer to this age old question looming?

I’m a jibe guy myself.

#248 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Is this really what you think their job was?

It’s just the kind of well-considered, nuanced opinions we’ve come to expect from the never ending looming recession thread.

Sadly, some of which we’ll have to do without for a while; RIP twinturbo’s dumb pronoun twitter meme.

The recession: long May it loom!

#257 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Come to think of it. That doesn't jibe or that didn't jibe well are fairly common sayings.

Right. But people keep using
    “Jive” instead in that context and I think they are nuts! My use of that word is pretty much limited to airplane! References or calling someone a jive Turkey.

#259 1 year ago
    Quoted from twinturb089:

But now many shows like archy bunker, welcome back kotter, married with children , etc. like taboo

Those shows are all still currently on TV, you jive turkey!

#285 1 year ago

Gas prices continue to plummet, and still more good economic news.

Just doesn’t jibe with the “looming” scaremongering!

7F0CEB7E-55E0-48C7-8B15-194A6637377C (resized).jpeg7F0CEB7E-55E0-48C7-8B15-194A6637377C (resized).jpeg
    #288 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Yall just Jive Talking

Actually the record labels were misprinted.

Song is actually called “Jibe Talkin”

#300 1 year ago
    Quoted from twinturb089:

Private debt 21 +trillion
    gov debt 20 + trillion
    unfunded liabilities 200 + trillion
    "Biblical " is the correct term for what's coming.

You’ve got me absolutely terrified!!!

How can I prepare and protect myself in the short time we have left as a civilized society?

Stock up on gold? Convert all of my cash into canned goods and firearms?
    Buy a bunch of MyPillows?

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

You guys are scaring the shit out of us but not offering any solutions! HELP US!

#303 1 year ago
    Quoted from twinturb089:

Sounds like you already have some of it covered....... all sounds good, except being in one of the most populated cities in the country.

Are you suggesting I move to Walnutport?!

Will you welcome myself and 8 million of my friends as we seek safer confines and economic security?

Walnutport. Has such a nice friendly ring to it!

#311 1 year ago

Funny you should say that!

My neighborhood has recently become infested by rednecks from the sticks!!! They are ruining everything here with their constant jugband playing and smelly moonshine stills, and they watch Dukes of Hazzard reruns at high volume late into the night in a noisy attempt to woo their cousins!!!

No worries. All are welcome here!

2 weeks later
    #329 1 year ago

God this thread is pathetic.

“Ok i know I’ve been predicting a pinball bubble burst for 5 months with no luck…but now that a distro has sent out some Christmas sausage to their best customers I MUST FINALLY BE RIGHT!

Right? Guys?

#331 1 year ago

Everybody knows free Christmas sausage is a leading economic indicator of a looming recession.

#344 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

The only pin I was planning on buying was EHOH. When I reserved my spot, it was $8700. Now that it's finally being built and they want $10,500 I'm out
    They are pushing it too far. I really wanted that pin too

Have you considered a holiday sausage selection?

Far cheaper!

#354 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

Recession, no but a possible $75,000 hospital bill will. I'm sure glad I have health insurance, or I'd be looking at $95,000. Value based health insurance, what a scam.

Sorry dude, please start your own “Will looming medical expenses halt your NIB purchases?” Thread.

This one is STRICTLY looming recession-related, with an exemption for the effect free processed meat holiday gifts may have on NIB buys. Thanks!

3 weeks later
    #380 1 year ago

I love how if anybody here loses $1,500 on a TS4 they are idiots, but when an overrated rich douchebag loses hundreds billions making terrible decisions and destroying his cornerstone brand, he's still a genius who is still "owning."

Make up your minds, loomers!

2 weeks later
    #390 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:Tesla stock has been skyrocketing the last few weeks. All the doom and gloom on Tesla disappeared as soon as they announced earnings and more government subsidies.

This excellent news - along with record low unemployment, and a stark absence of free sausage being mailed out by pinball distributors - would seem to indicate a robust, healthy economy, right?

The looming is over! We made it folks!

#445 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Whoa! Lots of comments missing, did pinside fix the economy overnight?

Nope! Just a bunch of people who are trying to blame "the economy" for Disney laying off 7,000 workers despite being the same people claiming for the past 2 years that it's a "go woke, go broke" situation.

Make up your minds, loomers!

#449 1 year ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

"folks" in the first statement generalized that more than Vino was still going out to eat, taking vacations or worse - buying pinball machines.
    My response was in-kind. I'm not the only one who's cranked back on spending.

That's a shame. Hope things improve for you!

#453 1 year ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Let's recenter this to Pin pricing discussion using basic economics.

Keep in mind that nearly 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck...The average American consumer has not curtailed their spending habits, which potentially sets up a nightmare scenario coming out of a supply chain bottleneck that we have never seen before (broader economy).

That's interesting if true, but keep in mind that well over 80 % of Americans don't own nor will they ever own a pinball machine.

The "average American consumer" doesn't really factor in to pinball pricing looming recession economics discussion, so it's not going to affect pricing. Falling pin prices -as usual - just don't seem to be looming, despite the wishes, dreams, and fantasies here.

Remember a recession is when your neighbor can't afford to buy NIB pins. A depression is when YOU can't afford to buy NIB pins.

#461 1 year ago

Shocker!!

The “looming thread” was an insincere political troll job all along.

I just can’t believe it.

5 months later
    #504 9 months ago

Happy 1 year anniversary to the "looming recession" thread!

As the recession continues to loom, is the dark cloud looming over all our heads continuing to loom over your looming NIB pinball purchases?

3 months later
    #508 6 months ago

Economic Growth Looming!:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-67229919

The US economy grew faster than expected in the third quarter of the year, helped by a tight jobs market and consumer spending.

The economy expanded at an annual rate of 4.9% in the July to September period, according to the government's first estimate.

It marked the biggest rise seen since the last three months of 2021.

Consumers spent a lot despite the Federal Reserve trying to clamp down on spending with higher interest rates.

Analysts expected that the economy would grow by 4.5% in the third quarter of this year.

But a strong jobs market meant that consumers were able to ask for bigger pay packets and keep spending on concerts, movies or holidays over the summer.

Consumer spending, which accounts for more than two-thirds of economic activity in the US, was the main driver behind the rise.

The latest figure is a big spike from the 2.1% growth seen in the three months to July.

In a statement, the US Bureau of Economic Analysis said the increase reflects "accelerations in consumer spending, private inventory investment, and federal government spending" among other factors.

#511 6 months ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Cox Automotive, a leading auto organization, predicts that 1.5 million cars will be repossessed this year – 300,000 more than in 2022.

Hey as long as they don't come for our pinball machines we are in good shape!

Thank God pinball machines aren't cars!

#513 6 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Must be a result of the booming economy.

Ever notice how "booming" rhymes with "looming?"

It really makes ya think!

#518 6 months ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Yes,I want people to keep buying NIB so I can Buy used after they go down 20 % ish.I have bought all the NIB I care to.
    example Foo Fighters with tax 14,500 NIB
    today same Machine 10 or 12 k with a couple hundred plays

Yeah but what about the 5 months of fun you've had on that game since you bought it?

Can't put a price on that!!! (well I guess you can...$3-4k?)

1 week later
    #543 5 months ago

We are also coming into the crucial “free meat holiday season.”

If you’ll remember, a year ago, we were gripped with looming recession fever as a result of a pinball distributor sending out smoked sausage - UNSOLICITED! - to long time customers. As the OP pointed out, free smoked processed meat from pinball sellers is one of the leading indicators of complete economic collapse.

So keep your eyes open and your mailboxes greased! Fingers crossed we don’t see a similar distribution of savory holiday composite high fat protein again, I don’t think my heart can take it!!! (In any number of ways)

1 month later
    #574 4 months ago

I love how whenever anybody points towards high employment, exploding stock market, falling gas prices, in fact any and all economic indicators showing things are picking up the same people always say...

Yeah...HAVE YOU BOUGHT EGGS LATELY?!?!?!

Yeah I have, and they were 3 bucks. Who gives a shit? Seems cheap to me.

Look, we all know how this works. When you are happy with who is running things, everything is awesome. When you aren't, the complete and utter destruction of everything we hold dear is LOOMING and there's nothing we can do about it except for throwing the bums out!

This thread was always about that bullshit and not reality and that hasn't changed in over a year. All I know is it's December and if pinball distributors are sending out free sausage again we'll know THE END IS TRULY LOOMING!!!

#607 4 months ago
    Quoted from the9gman:

this is an interesting fact ...wife has about 30 chickens so we don't buy eggs and haven't since before the pandemic and yes eggs did go up but feedstock also went up during that time but eggs came down but the feed has not... so is there an over abundance of chicken layers at this point ?.....Gordon Geeko ....Greed is good ......Capitolism is great ....but unchecked capitolism is really bad .....we used to enforce monopoly laws and that kept things in check, but not anymore

Yeah but I'm sure your chickens' wages are skyrocketing, and even then, it's hard to find hens willing to pop out some eggs.

Nobody wants to work any more!!!

#647 4 months ago

Verifiable facts are the best kind of facts

#698 4 months ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I'll tell my boss at review time, they must not have seen the data last year.

Sounds like a boss problem not an economy problem.

Stand up for yourself bro! You've earned it.

Looming raises for all of us!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-a-looming-recession-impact-your-nib-pinball-purchases?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.