Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 698 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will a looming recession impact your NIB pinball purchases?”

• Yes. I'm canceling or holding off on orders I would have made. 121 votes
      34%
    • No. Keep them coming! 117 votes
      33%
    • I couldn't afford the games before the recession. 121 votes
      34%

(359 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    loser.gif
    IMG_4146.gif
    IMG_0515 (resized).png
    241747A3-023C-47C0-9230-5ABF8E9D3DAB (resized).jpeg
    1C233C4C-5489-4531-A2B8-7BAE75E21E10 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-16 8.10.24 PM (resized).png
    IMG_6599.gif
    IMG_20231216_190741.gif
    ch (1) (resized).png
    There are 698 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
    #1 1 year ago

Seems like economic news and discourse is using the R word frequently now, with a recession pretty much expected by all. Will this impact your NIB purchases in the next year?

#2 1 year ago

No impact. An addict always finds a way.

#3 1 year ago

If the recession impacts pinball pricing, this is definitely NOT the time to stop buying. Haha. Save up your cash now, and buy lots when prices are down.

#4 1 year ago

Solution - don't watch the news. The headlines are ridiculous

#5 1 year ago

It hurts looking at my portfolio for sure, but as Long as Im employed and business is decent ill be a buyer. At this point im out of space anyways so need to sell a pin to fit one. So i guess it doesnt matter unless I cant sell a pin due to market softness

#6 1 year ago

Been reading looming recession headlines for better part of two years. With the fed cranking rates and subsequent market reactions paired with inflation, job loss, etc, are we already not in one? But to quote insight75 addicts always find a way!

#7 1 year ago

I'm praying for a recession on Pinside recession threads but that seems to be pretty unrealistic.

I don't think I've ever seen this many recession posts on online pinball forums. Like...even when we were actually IN a recession - rather than just people oddly praying we would have one - nobody posted on RGP about recessions as much.

So what gives? Why are recession threads so popular these days? If we actually enter one, will there be fewer recession threads? Is there something about the "looming" that has us addicted to these?

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm praying for a recession on Pinside recession threads but that seems to be pretty unrealistic.
    I don't think I've ever seen this many recession posts on online pinball forums. Like...even when we were actually IN a recession - rather than just people oddly praying we would have one - nobody posted on RGP about recessions as much.
    So what gives? Why are recession threads so popular these days? If we actually enter one, will there be fewer recession threads? Is there something about the "looming" that has us addicted to these?

I just hope it doesn't affect my ability to buy a manly theme or affect my manliness

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from BWT67:

Been reading looming recession headlines for better part of two years. With the fed cranking rates and subsequent market reactions paired with inflation, job loss, etc, are we already not in one? But to quote insight75 addicts always find a way!

Small recession in 2023 has always been the talk in my meetings at work. Then the big dog (worse than 08-09) around 2030.

#10 1 year ago

We've probably been in a recession for months. This will be a mild one, probably normal after 10 years of growth, and nothing like 08 - 09.

#11 1 year ago

Been asking the same question on my car forum.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Solution - don't watch the news. The headlines are ridiculous

How do you know that if you don't watch the news?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If the recession impacts pinball pricing, this is definitely NOT the time to stop buying. Haha. Save up your cash now, and buy lots when prices are down.

Who said anything about pricing?

#15 1 year ago

annnnd Triggered

#16 1 year ago

LOL! What are some examples of MATURE titles? So not a Toy Story fan I take it?

#17 1 year ago

Jesus its leaching into other threads now haha.

#18 1 year ago

A recession probably won't impact my NIB buying. I don't buy them that often. When I do, it will be a games that I have already played and liked enough to get it.

They really only put out GREAT games every few years. And in between they put out "filler" games. Even without a recession I wasn't going to buy the filler games. For my money, I want a Godzilla or a Deadpool (own them both). Spectacular games that are a blast to play. I just won't pay the same for a mediocre game that can't earn its space in my house.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Small recession in 2023 has always been the talk in my meetings at work. Then the big dog (worse than 08-09) around 2030.

Same, working in FinTech, thats all I hear all day long. The "R" word.

#20 1 year ago

Out of nearly 200 machines, I've only bought 3 NIB. My gameroom is full, so something has to go for something to come in. It's just a merry go round of more or less the same dollar amount cycling at this point, so nothing out of my pocket, or not much over. So, assuming the used pins don't take a huge nose dive, if there was a theme/game I really wanted, I doubt it would have much impact on my decision.

#21 1 year ago

I know when I think "mature," I think "Acedanger!"

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I know when I think "mature," I think "Acedanger!"

You are such a <Removed by moderation>

#23 1 year ago

8DF4B4F5-440A-4E2B-9AF4-89B741294FFD (resized).jpeg8DF4B4F5-440A-4E2B-9AF4-89B741294FFD (resized).jpeg

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

How do you know that if you don't watch the news?

Because the YouTube algorithm thinks I care so I get to scroll past all of them. 'absolutely massive' 'i warned you' 'people going to lose everything's 'the everything bubble JUST POPPED' it's a little much just for clicks and eyeballs

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

You are such a <Removed by moderation>

I can only imagine what this said but I imagine I'll see you next Tuesday!

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Because the YouTube algorithm thinks I care so I get to scroll past all of them. 'absolutely massive' 'i warned you' 'people going to lose everything's 'the everything bubble JUST POPPED' it's a little much just for clicks and eyeballs

You should watch more dog videos.

#27 1 year ago

Deleted because now it makes no sense.

#28 1 year ago

Long story short, nope. But this is HIGHLY individualistic...

Jeff

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can only imagine what this said but I imagine I'll see you next Tuesday!

Actually it was a joke. I'm one of the people that likes you. I chuckle sometimes when a newb rolls in with their first game and takes a swat at you.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Absolutely this. Assuming I keep my job, etc.

#31 1 year ago

I purchased my first NIB in 2020. Been saving up since then for another one. I spent some of the money along the way (bought a damn onewheel) but mostly been saving side money as much as I can. TBH I'm very worried that I'll need that money elsewhere or even if I don't, that it would be foolish to blow it on a pinball machine if things do start getting much tighter. Kind of a big bummer....

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Absolutely this. Assuming I keep my job, etc.

You know what they say...a recession is when your neighbor has to sell his pins. A depression is when YOU have to sell your pins!

#33 1 year ago

NIB have got to a level they don't represent value for money anymore.

Think I am going to collect a few eighties pins instead.

#34 1 year ago

I have a hunch a lot of people forget what a "bad recession" feels like as we've had so many "good times" for over a decade. I don't know if one's coming - no one ever does - but when the stuff hits the fan people will be tighter with their money. I'm not changing my habits much today, but if the stock market dropped by half and I had an extra $7k to use, I'd be hard pressed to buy a NIB pin vs investing it.

The fear of a recession will likely not cause much behavioral change here. As they say, economists have predicted 5 of the last 3 recessions.
    The effects of an actual recession likely will.

#35 1 year ago

I'll take the recession, if that's what it takes to curb the massive inflation. Inflation's impact never goes away.

#36 1 year ago

Yes, it will impact my NIB purchases. I'm purchasing even more of them!

#37 1 year ago

When I see my investment reports each month no way would I allocate big money towards another machine. Price of copper just went more in the tank than it has been. It’s not when the recession will actually hit ( we’re already in the beginning phases) but how long and bad it will be.

#38 1 year ago

I barely noticed the 2008 recession in my personal and professional life, and I'm hoping the same thing will happen this time too. If it does then I'm hoping to capitalize on maybe some cheaper tables since I imagine people who are impacted will likely want to sell their toys to pay for stuff they actually need. Even if this doesn't happen I'll still buy pins even if the economy is going up in flames...assuming I still can.

#39 1 year ago

I was priced out a while ago, recession or no recession. Tough to justify NIB now days.

Maybe in the future but I think Dead Pool my be my last NIB without some crazy game coming out.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wiggles:

I barely noticed the 2008 recession in my personal and professional life, and I'm hoping the same thing will happen this time too. If it does then I'm hoping to capitalize on maybe some cheaper tables since I imagine people who are impacted will likely want to sell their toys to pay for stuff they actually need. Even if this doesn't happen I'll still buy pins even if the economy is going up in flames...assuming I still can.

You do not even own a pinball machine, But you will still buy them

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wyoming-pinheads?tu=Wiggles

#41 1 year ago

The last recession was caused by banks/insurance companies being fundamentally broken, and not having enough money to pay their obligations. This time around it feels more like a market correction after booming growth during covid, combined with supply chain issues increasing prices thus lowering sales. Companies are positioned/motivated to get out of the “slump” more so than in 2008 which was truly a panic after banking collapse.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from BWT67:

addicts always find a way!

Yeah, to discuss pinball pricing bubbles and recessions.

I may be addicted, I’m here reading!

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

You do not even own a pinball machine, But you will still buy them
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wyoming-pinheads?tu=Wiggles

I don't see any issue with what I said. My intention to buy a pin is unchanged even if we do end up in another recession. I never claimed to have bought or owned one prior.

#44 1 year ago

Cool kids do not just collect NIB LE's
    A wall of LCD screens leaves me cold

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Cool kids do not just collect NIB LE's
    A wall of LCD screens leaves me cold

People like what they like. Some people would walk right past your collection, others would be in heaven. YMMV.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from GPS:

When I see my investment reports each month no way would I allocate big money towards another machine. Price of copper just went more in the tank than it has been. It’s not when the recession will actually hit ( we’re already in the beginning phases) but how long and bad it will be.

TIME TO BUY COPPER!

Seriously, I worked for an auto parts manufacturer that makes wiring harnesses for the Big 3 (and many more), we followed copper prices like hawks. When some people are going broke, others are making fortunes.

1 week later
    #47 1 year ago

Well... We're officially in a recession. Good luck to all.

There are 698 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-a-looming-recession-impact-your-nib-pinball-purchases?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.