Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 698 posts
  • 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Will a looming recession impact your NIB pinball purchases?”

• Yes. I'm canceling or holding off on orders I would have made. 121 votes
      34%
    • No. Keep them coming! 117 votes
      33%
    • I couldn't afford the games before the recession. 121 votes
      34%

(359 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    loser.gif
    IMG_4146.gif
    IMG_0515 (resized).png
    241747A3-023C-47C0-9230-5ABF8E9D3DAB (resized).jpeg
    1C233C4C-5489-4531-A2B8-7BAE75E21E10 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-12-16 8.10.24 PM (resized).png
    IMG_6599.gif
    IMG_20231216_190741.gif
    ch (1) (resized).png
    There are 698 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

No offense, but your finance guy is just saying this so you give him more money to add to the portfolio...We are in a recession, 2 quarters of negative GDP growth is a recession.
    I run a recruiting agency in biotech, we are in a deep recession; jobs numbers don't reflect because majority of job openings are low paying jobs...6 figure plus job market is shit right now, worst since winter of 09'
    Save your $$, we won't come out of this until Q2 of 23' IMO

He shouldn't stick to his plan because we won't come out of this until Q2 of 2023?? That's not a long time. Even if his savings timeline is something as short as 5 years, not continuing with his plan would be foolish because there is an additional down year expected. That's a tiny blip on his savings roadmap. Trying to have more cash on hand for a year might be good advice for a trader, but doesn't really make sense if you are saving for 5, 10, 15, 20+ years down the road. That's how some people missed the beginning of the biggest bull market ever in history after 2008. The real concern is if this takes decade+ to recover, like Japan in the 90s-00s after their 80s boom. Coming out of this in 2023 is very optimistic for somebody getting into a recession definition debate.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

No offense, but your finance guy is just saying this so you give him more money to add to the portfolio...We are in a recession, 2 quarters of negative GDP growth is a recession.
    I run a recruiting agency in biotech, we are in a deep recession; jobs numbers don't reflect because majority of job openings are low paying jobs...6 figure plus job market is shit right now, worst since winter of 09'
    Save your $$, we won't come out of this until Q2 of 23' IMO

Q2 23 is very optimistic. It takes around 16 months without federal reserve hikes for things to mostly recover. Many people are also about to get their property taxes which will all be inflated based on last year's housing market which has already collapsed.

I might still buy a NIB game if there is something I like under 9K but with the new prices that is not likely, and they are just not worth the current asking price. I believe the pinball manufacturers have screwed themselves trying to price out the secondary market. They chose a very volatile time to go all in and get as much as they think they can. After Bond who is paying 13K for an LE? I wanted that game and passed on my LE spot because of the price increase. I can afford it, but I can't justify it.

#103 1 year ago

I work in construction, land development, and planning. Recessions are slow lumbering giants in this industry, the start lags behind other sectors and then much slower to recover later.

My anecdotal experience is seeing a night and day difference in terms of fewer new projects being funded, reduced scopes, more phasing, cancelling concept work, and shrugging of shoulders when it comes to trying to make a cost estimate valid for longer than a couple months

It’s still basically impossible to get reliable unskilled laborers in the numbers my sub contractors need. That’s been an issue all year. But for the skilled labor? We went from having some positions in engineering, planning, and IT opened for months with only mild interest to getting the pick of the litter. (And I’m reading these resumes of career professionals who are getting laid off or see the writing on the wall at their firm…)

2023 is going to be rough

#104 1 year ago

I was looking at pinballs.com the other day and I've noticed their list of in stock games has grown a lot. They price gouge, but for a while, like everyone else, they couldn't keep much in stock. Now they have a lot of games in stock and apparently not moving. Seems to be a leading indicator of a market crash in the hobby.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I was looking at pinballs.com the other day and I've noticed their list of in stock games has grown a lot. They price gouge, but for a while, like everyone else, they couldn't keep much in stock. Now they have a lot of games in stock and apparently not moving. Seems to be a leading indicator of a market crash in the hobby.

I’ve been in this hobby (and business for a time) off and on for 20 years and never heard of this site. Maybe it’s my selective attention span for not knowing of them but if we know they gouge how can we also say they are a leading indicator of the hobby?

Prices aside that’s like driving by a car dealership trying to get a pulse on the car collector/ hobbies.

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I’ve been in this hobby (and business for a time) off and on for 20 years and never heard of this site. Maybe it’s my selective attention span for not knowing of them but if we know they gouge how can we also say they are a leading indicator of the hobby?
    Prices aside that’s like driving by a car dealership trying to get a pulse on the car collector/ hobbies.

It's another storefront for Automated. They are a well-known distributor.

I'm just going by my own observations of seeing their list of in stock games go from very short to fairly long in the last few months. It seems like you didn't have inventory for a while because everything was sold before it was even manufactured. Now they have a growing inventory of games that aren't going out the door. Some of it is slightly older titles they're trying to charge a huge premium for, but some of the games are current games at or close to MSRP that are piling up.

Here's their current list:
    -Attack from Mars CE - $12,500
    -Cactus Canyon SE - $8,000
    -Guns N' Roses LE - $11,000-Free topper, deluxe banner, $99 shipping
    -Jurassic Park Home Pin - $4,999
    -Led Zeppelin Pro - $6,699- Free Shipping
    -Led Zeppelin Premium-$8,899 - Free Shipping
    -Mandalorian Pro - $6,699 - Free Shipping
    -Mandalorian Premium-$8,899 - Free Shipping
    -Monster Bash CE - $12,500-LAST ONE
    -Rush Pro-$6,699 - Free Shipping
    -Rush Premium-$8,899 - Free Shipping
    -Star Wars Pin-Movie Art (1)-$4,999-Free Shipping
    -Star Wars Pin-Comic Art- $4,999-Free Shipping
    -Star Wars Premium-$8,999
    -Star Wars Pro - $6,699
    -The Beatles Gold - $8,999
    -TMNT Premium - $8,899 - Free Shipping
    -Toy Story 4 LE - $12,000
    -Toy Story 4 CE - $15,000
    -Willy Wonka LE - $12,000

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

pinballs.com is "Automated Services." (EDIT: was posted 2 seconds after Seenev above )

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

We are in a recession, 2 quarters of negative GDP growth is a recession.

Quoted from seenev:

We met the technical definition of a recession a while ago.

Wacky Fact: There's no hard and fast definition of a recession (anymore). It used to be two consecutive quarters of negative growth, now it's sort of a black magic touchy feely metric. I'm not a fan of this. I'll take the standard (until a few years ago) definition that you're referring to any day. In the end though, it's a just a label.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Wacky Fact: There's no hard and fast definition of a recession (anymore). It used to be two consecutive quarters of negative growth, now it's sort of a black magic touchy feely metric. I'm not a fan of this. I'll take the standard (until a few years ago) definition that you're referring to any day. In the end though, it's a just a label.

This. According to the old definitions we hit recession in like June or July.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

This. According to the old definitions we hit recession in like June or July.

Yeah, Q1 and Q2 were down so the end of June marked the start of the recession. Having said that, oddly the numbers will keep getting revised. There have been recessions that have ended before they were even officially declared recessions.

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

Wacky Fact: There's no hard and fast definition of a recession (anymore).

According to who?

#112 1 year ago

All logic is out the window! Who knows when people will feel the affect. The government pumping money into the economy is such a dangerous concept plus incentivizing people to not pay back loans throws all we logically know out the window. I thought in 2019 things were looking unstable. I have no idea what to think now. I’m going to keep my head down and keep working!

I operate games so I’ll continue to buy however ROI in the last few years are getting worse and worse. If price increases continue and distributors keep increasing their margins it will absolutely slow down my growth.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

According to who?

The National Bureau of Economic Research. Instead of using easily measured metrics in a specific timeframe, they moved to:
    "a significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and that lasts more than a few months"

as measured by

"depth, diffusion, and duration"

That's some fuzzy definition there. I'd love to know what prompted the change. Again, it's just a label but it'd be nice to know what the hell it specifically means.

https://www.nber.org/research/business-cycle-dating/business-cycle-dating-procedure-frequently-asked-questions

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

The National Bureau of Economic Research. Instead of using easily measured metrics in a specific timeframe, they moved to:
    "a significant decline in economic activity that is spread across the economy and that lasts more than a few months"
    as measured by
    "depth, diffusion, and duration"
    That's some fuzzy definition there. I'd love to know what prompted the change. Again, it's just a label but it'd be nice to know what the hell it specifically means.
    https://www.nber.org/research/business-cycle-dating/business-cycle-dating-procedure-frequently-asked-questions

They changed it because it was inconvenient for the powers that be.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

The CEO of my company was talking about the economic landscape today and how they had to substantially change their plans mid-year because of the recession. Our company was hiring even after everyone else had stopped, but that's over now. Now we're in the "forget about raises and bonuses and consider yourself lucky if you get to keep your job" period. I'm reading between the lines, but it sounds bad. Some friends of mine at my former company were just laid off as well.
    If I'm lucky and get to keep my job, maybe I can pick up a game or two after the market crashes.

Hopefully you keep your job and the market doesn't crash,or someone might be picking up a couple of your games.

#116 1 year ago

Another indicator of economic crash: The cargo ports in Los Angeles are now cleared up due to a severe reduction in imports. If you weren't paying attention earlier this year, the ports were so jammed up that ships were waiting off the coast for weeks to get a chance to unload their cargo. Now there's no wait.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Another indicator of economic crash: The cargo ports in Los Angeles are now cleared up due to a severe reduction in imports. If you weren't paying attention earlier this year, the ports were so jammed up that ships were waiting off the coast for weeks to get a chance to unload their cargo. Now there's no wait.

A report last week noted water levels of the Mississippi river were so low the last few years that its affecting Cargo ports in Louisiana. Billions of dollars of goods come through those ports and without enough water its grounding the ships.

https://www.fox8live.com/2022/10/06/major-port-coast-guard-closely-monitor-mississippi-river-levels/

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/24/weather/weather-rain-mississippi-river-severe-storms-wxn/index.html

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

A report last week noted water levels of the Mississippi river were so low the last few years that its affecting Cargo ports in Louisiana. Billions of dollars of goods come through those ports and without enough water its grounding the ships.
    https://www.fox8live.com/2022/10/06/major-port-coast-guard-closely-monitor-mississippi-river-levels/

Shipping has gotten a lot more complicated in the last few years. California had such restrictive regulations on truckers and port workers amidst covid that some manufacturers started changing their shipping routes to go through other states and bypass California altogether. There was also an issue with thieves breaking into shipping containers that were just sitting in the shipping yards in California for weeks on end. California is the most convenient channel for shipping from China, so it had to get really bad for other options to start looking good.

#120 1 year ago

I'm never buying a NIB pin again. Ever. But it's not because of any recession. Which we are 100% in at the moment.

I saw the opportunity to jump ship this spring from my private sector employer and moved to a public sector one. Locking in a government job was the right move for me.

The FED needs to pump the Federal effective rate to 5% immediately. The sooner we can cool demand and get inflation under control, the better.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I'm never buying a NIB pin again. Ever.

Looking at gnr and TS4 prices on the secondary market, I think there's going to be lots of deals in the near future... Even on Stern games. If you look at games like Jurassic Park premium, they're nowhere near the $9700 stern will be charging going forward. GZ demand will fall off soon enough. Save your money for now. Winter is coming.

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Save your money for now. Winter is coming.

Are you saying we are in for some kind of a bubble-bursting?

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Looking at gnr and TS4 prices on the secondary market

I consider those bad examples. They aren’t great games. So the secondary market was bound to fall.

Quoted from seenev:

GZ demand will fall off soon enough.

It already is falling. Even though Stern has been behind, they’ve been making games. They are getting to the point where everyone that wanted one has one. Demand always drops when you hit that saturation point.

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I consider those bad examples. They aren’t great games. So the secondary market was bound to fall.

It already is falling. Even though Stern has been behind, they’ve been making games. They are getting to the point where everyone that wanted one has one. Demand always drops when you hit that saturation point.

I agree with this. I was finally able to lock down a gz prem and distributor wanted 9k. I've never paid full MSRP for a Stern machine so I bailed. They made tons and once the panic selling starts, I'll be there to scoop one up for 7500. All modded out.

#125 1 year ago

My favorite part of every bubble burst thread is where folks start to indulge their lustful fantasies about what they’ll do when the market and economy totally collapses yet we are all still buying pinball machines and yet they are somehow all suddenly dirt cheap.

“And I’m gonna buy an Addams, fully restored and tastefully modded, for $4,000! And I’m gonna get a sweet GZ LE for $7,000…oh it’s gonna be so sweet!”

You gotta dream big, I get it!

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

They changed it because it was inconvenient for the powers that be.

I know there's a current narrative floating around about who those "powers that be" are. For what it's worth, the NBER changed the definition mid-2020.

Quoted from DaveH:

You're making it sound like pin prices DO go down at some point, but I know that's wrong because everyone says so

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from arcyallen:

I know there's a current narrative floating around about who those "powers that be" are. For what it's worth, the NBER changed the definition mid-2020.

You're making it sound like pin prices DO go down at some point, but I know that's wrong because everyone says so

Two quarters of negative gdp growth has been the traditional definition of a recession forever. This is the first "recession" I can recall where the administration actually argues semantics to try to avoid the label. Personally, I don't know why NBER should get to redefine a term that was universally understood and agreed upon regardless of when they changed the definition. I couldn't find a date for the change, but regardless, it's a silly idea to say that we can't call it a recession until some board of guys decides that's what it is.

"Recession" or not, the economy is in the toilet.

#128 1 year ago

I'm not going to be able to buy that Magic Girl now

#129 1 year ago

OK so the economy has totally collapsed, is in the toilet, and we are in the midst of a paradigm-shifting recession that is destroying our country as we speak.

When do the pinball prices drop? I'm eager to scoop 'em up!

#130 1 year ago

Wow it's been downright pleasant for several weeks. It's too bad we have to get back to "normal." Well it was nice while it lasted, but some people just can't let their lame-ass personal crusades die. Wait, I need to stick with my trademark style guide.

Final shouting single sentence paragraph with an exclamation mark!

#131 1 year ago

Ha, time for a serouis post. If it happens it will be a slow process. More pins for sale than buyers and eventual people drop their prices. If it gets desperate people will sell for way less than they thought setting a new price for everyone else. Opposite of Banning.

Edit to add: Those hoping to pickup the good deals probably aren't buying due to other obligations.

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OK so the economy has totally collapsed, is in the toilet, and we are in the midst of a paradigm-shifting recession that is destroying our country as we speak.

You'll never know till the mystical powers that be wave their magic wands duh.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I haven't played GnR. Is it not good? The way everyone reacted early on you'd think it's a top ten game. I'm not a huge GnR fan so I didn't really get caught up in the hype, but I assumed part of the reason for the drop in value is the fact that they cranked out so many and people are just trying to sell them at the same time... Combined with economic factors... But it's not the same as TS4 where you had a lot of disappointment from day 1. Quite the opposite.

Fun fact: I went to the pinball hall of fame in Vegas shortly after GnR was released and asked if they had the game there. They told me they weren't buying it because of the playfield issues. I dunno if they ever got one but they were a hard no for a while.

#134 1 year ago

Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 7.49.33 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-10-24 at 7.49.33 PM (resized).png

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Two quarters of negative gdp growth has been the traditional definition of a recession forever. This is the first "recession" I can recall where the administration actually argues semantics to try to avoid the label. Personally, I don't know why NBER should get to redefine a term that was universally understood and agreed upon regardless of when they changed the definition. I couldn't find a date for the change, but regardless, it's a silly idea to say that we can't call it a recession until some board of guys decides that's what it is.
    "Recession" or not, the economy is in the toilet.

Once the “other Party” is the majority in Congress, the media will gleefully start calling it a “recession”. …ad nauseum.

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People seem to think NIB games losing a little value is the market just imploding. I guess they were not around when this was pretty much the norm for all but a few games when released. There was a huge supply vs demand shortage leading up to and during covid and everyone went crazy and completely forgot about before then apparently.

What everyone needs to do is cash out their retirement plans right now when its low, take the huge early draw penalty, and invest it all into pinball toppers. Why buy games away, the toppers are where the fun is.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

I haven't played GnR. Is it not good?

Well of course, like a lot of subjects, that is totally based on opinion. Someone else may think it is the greatest game ever made. Personally, I find it boring. It is a pretty game, but it lacks something in the substance department.

I do always try to account for the fact that I just don't like it. And I'm able to distinguish between games I like, vs great games. There are quite a few games I consider great that I just don't enjoy playing.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation. Don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Quoted from Gribbs:

Once the “other Party” is the majority in Congress, the media will gleefully start calling it a “recession”. …ad nauseum.

Are we doing this?

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

I'm not sure it matters. Recessions are defined retroactively so even if they do that, it will still be applied to previous quarters. Whether or not most people are smart enough to understand that is another matter though...

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

Well, least we would stop putting lipstick on a pig saying the economy is "strong as hell" *goes back to licking ice cream and chomping on the cone*

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Are we doing this?

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #141 1 year ago
    Quoted from CryHavoc:

Wow it's been downright pleasant for several weeks. It's too bad we have to get back to "normal." Well it was nice while it lasted, but some people just can't let their lame-ass personal crusades die. Wait, I need to stick with my trademark style guide.
    Final shouting single sentence paragraph with an exclamation mark!

Forum handle checks out...

#142 1 year ago

The economy is not in the toilet (yet) and far from it. Two consecutive quarters of mildly negative growth with a 3.5% unemployment rate (which is pretty much considered full employment). We actually need a recession to tackle the real beast - inflation. Growth and low inflation is the optimal place to be and we have just had that for quite a stretch. The powers that be need to tackle inflation and that is going to hurt a few but help most.

#143 1 year ago

GDP is positive! But remember... We can't say it's not a recession until NBER says so!

But honestly.... I'm relieved. I can't wait to tell my colleagues who were laid off that everything is OK after all.

#144 1 year ago

Looming looming looming, keep that recession looming...looming looming looming...Pinside!!!

#145 1 year ago

Historical trends would indicate a recession if the Phillies win the World Series.

So........go Astros?

20221027_075658.jpg20221027_075658.jpg

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Historical trends would indicate a recession if the Phillies win the World Series.
    So........go Astros?
    [quoted image]

Bah, gonna be a red October for the Phillies!

BTW, we're already in a recession.

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

So........go Astros?
    [quoted image]

What's the Farmers Almanac say?

1 week later
    #149 1 year ago

Interest rates went up again this week. They're not going to stop either. The outlook isn't good.

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from seenev:

Interest rates went up again this week. They're not going to stop either. The outlook isn't good.

Are you kidding? My savings are looking healthier than ever! Keep rising me 'ol fella.

There are 698 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-a-looming-recession-impact-your-nib-pinball-purchases/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.