Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by djpug
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

All the specials on my Williams Lucky Strike award credit, which isn't all that exciting when all the games are free anyway. So I modified it to award 1000 points on a special. Simple really. I just added a jumper wire from the add replay coil to the 1000 score unit coil. It works great except for one issue - It also works in reverse. When it resets to start a game and every time you score 1000 points, it knocks and adds a credit.

So I thought OK. If I add a diode between the jumper it should only work one way, since a diode is supposed to work like a valve. But I think I am missing something. The diode does nothing regardless of direction. Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

#2 1 year ago

Diodes are to change ac to dc in either a half wave or full wave bridge. And diodes are used in dc circuits , a single diode in a ac circuit shouldn’t do anything.

#3 1 year ago

So is there a simple way to do this with multiple diodes or bridge rectifiers?
I'm thinking a bridge rectifier to convert to DC then a diode to block reverse flow?
Or might there be something simpler.

#4 1 year ago

Do you have the schematic? I’d look at energizing the 1000 point relay through the special relay instead. Need the schematic to see how to do it.

#5 1 year ago

Without knowing what it’s called, look for a rollover special when lit relay. This relay might have more than 1 make/break switch on it. With a small bit of paper, slip paper in the normally closed part of the switch. Rollovers will no longer work when you find the right switch. The normally open part of that switch connects to the replay add coil. Unsolder the replay add wire, tape and set aside. The unsoldered lug is your jumper connection spot and the other end will connect to the 1000 point score reel coil.
This jumper should not cause any interference.
Replays will not be added during scoring because a switch on the 100 point relay is not closed.

#6 1 year ago

If you want it to score 1000, you should jump to the 1000 point relay instead of the 1000 point score reel coil. That will ensure that you get all the proper byproducts of scoring 1000. And if you don't want it to score a credit, disconnect it from the Add Credit Unit coil (or from the Add Credit relay, if there is such a relay.) By the way, is there a relay devoted to awarding a Special? If so, just make that relay do what you want it to do.

As pinballdaveh points out, this game uses AC. If you try to do anything with diodes, you'll just keep digging a deeper hole. When, if ever, do you want to add credits?
.................David Marston

#7 1 year ago

Instead of changing the game’s wiring, maybe reconsider the value of credits. Because what is winning 1000 points—when you think about it practically? A stepper increases by one, and you hear a chime. What happens when you win a special? A stepper goes up by one, but you hear the knocker.

Think of the the credit unit as a counter for how many times you “beat” the game according to the rules designed by its maker. They’re a completely different kind of “point”, but one that is arguably the most valuable.

#8 1 year ago

If the machine doesn’t have a shot for 1000 points, it probably doesn’t have a 1000 point relay. All 1000’s scores are carryovers.

#9 1 year ago

Yes, The machine doesn't have a 1000 point relay. It carries over from the 100 relay through the ninth position switch. It also doesn't have a dedicated special relay. One special is scored by advancing the spare unit three times and one turns on through a step unit position when you get ten strikes.

I'm sure if I was on my last dime in 1965 and I was playing this game, my exclusive goal would be to get a free game. Even if I only score 900 points, I'd feel like I won because I could play again for free. But the home environment is completely different and all my games are set to free play. So I like to feel like I can win something "during" the game. This game especially, was designed with the goal of completing one of two different sequences to win specials which, in this case, were free games. All I'm doing is changing what kind of Special you receive. Since it is a 4 digit game 1000 points is a significant score worthy of being a special. Later Williams games had an adjustment jack where this was called "novelty" mode. A similar version of this game 1975's Triple Strike had an adjustment jack for specials - Credit, Extra Ball or Novelty. I'd actually prefer an extra ball but this is the next best thing and I prefer it to just seeing a little number advance on the credit unit (which it still does), and I still get the knock to show I won a special.

I've added a relay and switch between the 10c relay and the reset relay. This allows the switch to open while resetting so that the credit unit and knocker don't activate on reset. It still knocks at 1000 points during a game but there is no dedicated sound for 1000 points so I don't mind it telling me each time I've totaled an additional 1000 points as well as each time I've earned a special.

Even without doing that (if it still knocked on reset). I would never go back to the way it was. It's just so much more fun this way.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from djpug:

I've added a relay...

OK, this is moving in the right direction, which I define as "the way the designers would have done it back then." Consider adding another relay for the Special award. One of the switches could activate the knocker. Another could step up whatever stepper or score reel you prefer.
.................David Marston

#11 1 year ago

I've done something similar on a couple of my Williams single player games where the only special was a credit, It does make the winning of a special seem more important and more exciting in a home environment.

Here's the best way to do it if you want it to knock only when winning a special.

You need a relay with a single normally open switch. Connect the coil on this relay directly to the coil on the Credit Unit Step-up. So a credit will now fire this new relay. Now connect one wire of the normally open switch to your 1000 point score reel, then connect the other side of the switch to the same lug of the credit unit coil where you originally attached your jumper wire.

This allows the connection from your 1000 point coil to the credit unit to remain open most of the time, blocking the credit unit from firing with every 1000 scored. When a credit is added by winning a special, the new switch closes along with the credit coil which completes the circuit, pulses the 1000 reel and activates the knocker.

There's probably no room to attach the relay on the back of the backboard. You can just mount it on the inside edge or inside top of the backbox.

#12 1 year ago

Excellent edednedy. I removed my relay and wired it up in the backbox per your instructions. Now, it doesn't knock or award a credit when resetting or when advancing each 1000 points. It does award a credit, knocks, and adds 1000 points when winning a special. Perfect. Just what I wanted.

Thank You! Thank You!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-a-diode-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.