Wild Wild West vari-target assembly

By otto454z

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of restoring a 1969 Gottlieb "Wild Wild West" pinball machine and was wondering if I could get your help.

The machine's left vari-target assembly has significant friction, and does not return to its neutral position when the solenoid holding the return spring is triggered. The friction seems to be in the vari-target assembly's shaft, which is pressed together, so I am not sure that it is repairable given my tools. As such, the easiest way for me to fix the problem would probably be to buy a new vari-target assembly.

Unfortunately, I do not have a manual for this machine. Could anyone provide a part number for which vari-target assembly this machine uses? I found 3 different vari-target assemblies on Marco Specialties, but none of them are listed to be compatible with this machine on their website, so I am not sure which one to buy.

Alternatively, does anyone know if a PDF of a manual for this machine is available somewhere online? I have not been able to find anything through Google...

Thank you for your help!

#2 8 years ago

Scroll down to Vari-Target section and see if that helps you out.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#roto

#3 8 years ago

No manual. Gottlieb didn't do manuals in 1969

#4 8 years ago

@Cash_Riprock - Wow, this is a great reference! Thank you very much for passing this along. Based on this information, it looks like there is a good chance that the '69 Wild Wild West machine uses the MA-237 assembly from Marco Specialties. I think I will go ahead and order one to give it a shot! I will post an update here once I verify whether or not it works. Thanks!

@EMsInKC - Thanks for the info. That is a bummer, but good to know so that I can stop trying to find one online, haha. The pinrepair website above seems to be pretty comprehensive, so that is at least a good starting point. Thanks!

#5 8 years ago

Another bit of info on YouTube here that might help.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from otto454z:

@Cash_Riprock - Wow, this is a great reference! Thank you very much for passing this along. Based on this information, it looks like there is a good chance that the '69 Wild Wild West machine uses the MA-237 assembly from Marco Specialties. I think I will go ahead and order one to give it a shot! I will post an update here once I verify whether or not it works. Thanks!
@EMsInKC - Thanks for the info. That is a bummer, but good to know so that I can stop trying to find one online, haha. The pinrepair website above seems to be pretty comprehensive, so that is at least a good starting point. Thanks!

You're quite welcome. Clay is responsible for that site along w/other contributors.

Are you sure you can't adjust it so that it works?

#7 8 years ago

@tuffano: Thanks! This is a great video! I think he addresses the exact issue I am having at 3:55! I will give this a shot!

@Cash_Riprock: The issue seems to be caused by the shaft at the bottom of the lever arm, which acts as the pivot point for the vari-target. When the solenoid fires to release the vari-target ratchet, the lever arm does not move at all. Adjusting the spring to increase the tension on the lever arm does not help -- even with the greatest tension setting, the lever arm does not move.

The machine is actually at my parent's house, so I am currently operating from memory, but I will try again the next time I have access to it now that I have this documentation & video reference. I'll report back once I give it a try!

Thanks for your continued help everyone!

1 month later
#8 8 years ago

I was finally able to take a look at the machine and am happy to report that the issue is fixed!

I disassembled the vari-target assembly as shown in the video and was surprised to find that the shaft around which the vari-target rotates was actually clean. The problem seemed to have been that the previous owner was a little overambitious in tightening the lock-nut that held the vari-target to the mounting bracket underneath the play field, which was causing a lot of friction. Loosening the lock nut fixed the problem right up!

Thanks again for your help!

#9 8 years ago

Excellent!!! Once you sit there and watch, work, watch, work, then take plenty of pictures because you've built up enough nerve to finally take it apart, EM assembly's end up being so simple in their complexity.....beautiful engineering and design...floors me every time.

#10 8 years ago

Congrats on the fix...and posting back an update. Enjoy your game!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wild-wild-west-vari-target-assembly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.