Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1098 (resized).JPG
sb1 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I got my Wild Fyre all working great now. The only thing I don't like is the annoying sound when I turn it on.

Quoted from mbwalker:

The sound it makes when turning...mine does the same thing. I looked it up when I first bought it and apparently it is normal. I've even seen soundboard mods to stop it, but it doesn't really bother me. Someone said that Stern said that was a 'feature' to alert an owner someone was tinkering with a game.

Is there an easy way to get rid of that sound?

Thanks

Bob

#3 6 years ago

I found a photo of the board before I re-installed it. I'm guessing it's a rev A because the sticker says "A".

I also found this service bulletin but I'm not sure it's related to the sound on startup.

And I found an old post from Pinside that is related but the OP never said he fixed the problem.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-stern-god-awful-screech-on-power-up

Bob

sb1 (resized).PNGsb1 (resized).PNG

IMG_1098 (resized).JPGIMG_1098 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

I didn't want to remove the board until I was ready to do the mod. So I checked my inventory first. Sure enough, I don't have a 3.3uF capacitor or 47K resistor. Nothing even close. So I ordered the resistor from GPE but he doesn't have a 3.3uF cap - but I understand 4.7uF will work. I ordered that instead. Unfortunately, he's on vacation so it'll be a few weeks before I get my parts.

I'll let you know when the parts arrive. Meanwhile maybe I'll just mess with the oscilloscope and that old MPU. Maybe I'll learn something.

Thanks

Bob

#7 6 years ago

Closest electronics store is on the other side of St. Louis. About 40 miles one way. If it was keeping the game from playing I would make the trip but it's just an annoying sound on start up. I can live with that for a while.

Besides, I think I have a Williams Black-Out coming this week. That will keep me busy (and happy) for a while.

Bob

1 week later
#9 6 years ago

The same bulletin is listed on the Dracula game. Wild Fyre was made in 10/78 - Dracula was made in 1/79.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wild-fyre-sound-on-start-up?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.