Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

leds_pkg_1.jpg
led 2 (resized).PNG
led (resized).PNG
IMG_1127 (resized).JPG
IMG_1130 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

When I turn it on I get a loud sound like a bullet ricochet and a slight flicker then nothing. But it boots up and plays fine. Everything seems to work.

I thought if the LED on the MPU is bad the game won't boot.

Should I replace the LED?

Thanks

Bob

#2 6 years ago

Sounds like the credit knocker is firing off for some reason.

Yes, replace the LED. If it still doesn't blink there's some other components to look at.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks Cody,

The credit knocker on this game is the old coil knocker - don't think that's the sound. I made a video of the boot up. As soon as I flip the switch it makes that sound. And notice the LED doesn't blink.

Could the LED be bad and it still boots?

Thanks

Bob

#4 6 years ago

Yes the game will boot without the LED working. I would try swapping U10 and U11 before performing surgery on your board.

#5 6 years ago

Connect a wire from TP6 on the MPU board to ground. The LED should come on. Does it?

#6 6 years ago

A little scary to touch a test point to ground but after a close look at the schematic I decided to give it a try. The LED did not come on. I tested it after the game was booted and in attract mode. I think it's dead.

I checked my parts drawer and I don't have a 5 MM LED. I do have a few 3 MM LEDs. Will that work?

Thanks

Bob

#7 6 years ago

Yep, a 3mm LED will work.

TP6 on the MPU board is not a voltage supply test point, rather it's there to allow you to connect to certain components on the circuit boards to give you a light indicator for diagnosing component/circuit functionality. Nobody bothers with it because we all use a multi-meter/logic probe instead.

#8 6 years ago

I put in a new 3 MM LED. I re-installed the board and only connected J4 to test. I got a loud buzz from the speaker and no flash. I don't think it booted. I pulled the board again and put it on the bench test. 5 volts at TP5 and 12 volts at TP2. No LED flash.

The LED is # HLMP1700 from GPE:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HLMP1700

Not sure I installed it correctly. Someone scratched a "+" on the back of the board so I installed the long lead into that hole. (looking at it from the top side the "+" is on the right.)

Now I got a real problem.

Bob

IMG_1130 (resized).JPGIMG_1130 (resized).JPG

IMG_1127 (resized).JPGIMG_1127 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

The sound it makes when turning...mine does the same thing. I looked it up when I first bought it and apparently it is normal. I've even seen soundboard mods to stop it, but it doesn't really bother me. Someone said that Stern said that was a 'feature' to alert an owner someone was tinkering with a game. Ha, don't think so...

#10 6 years ago

Thanks mb,

Good to know it's normal.

Now if I can only get the LED thing working.

Bob

#11 6 years ago

I been looking over the schematics and the LED. The LED has a long lead (anode +) - (the short lead is the cathode -) Because someone scratched a "+" on the board that's where I stuck to long lead. According to the schematic the anode should connect to the R29. Looks like mine is connected to Q2. I think I have it installed backwards.

Can someone look at the photos and verify this?

Bob

led (resized).PNGled (resized).PNG

led 2 (resized).PNGled 2 (resized).PNG

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

According to the schematic the anode should connect to the R29. Looks like mine is connected to Q2.

This is correct. Yours is installed backwards.

#13 6 years ago

The flat side of the LED should face the right side of the MPU board.
leds_pkg_1.jpgleds_pkg_1.jpg

#14 6 years ago

Thanks guys,

My LED doesn't have a flat side - neither did the old LED. But I installed a new one with the cathode (short lead) to the right and it works fine now. What screwed me up was someone scratched a "+" on the back side of board and it was on the wrong side.

The new LED flashes very bright during boot up but it stays on after boot up. Not as bright as the flashes but it's lit. I'm guessing it's because it's a smaller LED.

Thanks again.

Bob

#15 6 years ago

Remaining on faintly is normal.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wild-fyre-no-led-flashes-but-it-boots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.