MPU-100a.jpg
IMG_1175 (resized).JPG
IMG_1176 (resized).JPG
IMG_1164 (resized).JPG
IMG_1170 (resized).JPG
IMG_1161 (resized).JPG
IMG_1166 (resized).JPG
IMG_2508 (resized).JPG
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

What would cause the feature lights on my Stern Wild Fyre to flicker? I have a good solid 5.4 volts at the lights on the playfield. When I connect a test light to the 5.4 volt line and ground I don't get the flicker.

See the video - the test light doesn't flicker but the lights in the background are flickering.

The rectifier board is new and all new connectors and headers on all the boards including the light driver board. I swapped the driver board with a known good game (Bally 8 Ball) and it still flickers.

Could a shorted or bad bulb be causing this?

Thanks

Bob

#2 6 years ago

Anyone have an idea?

#3 6 years ago

I've disconnected all the feed lines to the feature lights - 5.4 volt line to the back-box and the 5.4 volt line to the playfield. Then I put the game in light test mode. When I connect my test light to the feed line and to ground I get a solid on light. When I connect to any line going to the driver board I get a flickering test light.

Because I get the flicker on the original board and the 8 Ball board and the only light in use is the test light I'm thinking a bad connector to the driver board.

Any idea what connector to look at?

Thanks

Bob

#4 6 years ago

Something else I just noticed - when I turn it on it boots up and plays it's little tune and goes into attract mode. Then after a couple of seconds it boots up again. Sometimes even a third time. Then it's fine and everything works. Could this be related?

Could something on the MPU be causing the flickering feature lights?

Bob

#5 6 years ago

Other than the flickering, are the lamps otherwise operating correctly during attract/gameplay?

Grab a piece of wire. Connect one side to TP3 on the lamp board and carefully connect the other side to the middle "gate" pin of SCR Q14 on the lamp board. This will manually switch on Q14 and activate the 2k bonus lamp. Does the lamp flicker?

The feature lamps are updated at a rate of 120 times per second. This is too fast for the human eye to detect, and on top of that incandescent lamps have a very slow response time. So we see them as just being ON.

This update rate of 120 times per second is hard fixed to the frequency of your mains wall power (60Hz) times 2 - i.e. it can't be changed.

You mention the game is restarting a few times. This might be indicative of it crashing and rebooting and is important to note because it could mean the display interrupt generator circuit on the MPU board is running too fast reducing the games ability to update the lamps and also causing the crashes.

Does your multi-meter have the ability to measure frequency?
If yes, on the MPU board what frequencies do you measure at:
a) U10, pin 18 of the 6821 PIA chip
b) U11, pin 40 of the 6821 PIA chip

If your multi-meter can't measure frequency, swap the MPU board with one of your other Stern games and see if the lamps still flicker.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks Quench, Glad you stopped by.

Other than flickering (and a couple of lamps out) all the lamps seem to be functioning correctly - attract and gameplay.

I don't think the problem is with the driver board - I have the same problem after I switched it with a driver board from my 8 Ball.

I have 4 meters but I don't think any of them measure frequency. Maybe I need to get one - What would you suggest?

I was about to go down to the shop to swap the MPU with the 8 ball.

I'll let you know what I find.

Bob

#7 6 years ago

For now, swap the MPU board with your 8 Ball - leave the the Stern SB100 sound board disconnected.
Don't bother changing the ROMs. Just make sure all drop targets are up. Lamps and solenoids will activate at the wrong time because of the 8 Ball ROMs, but your only concern is to see if the lamps still flicker.

#8 6 years ago

I'm in the shop - I switched the MPU's. The 8 Ball MPU booted - just one time. Not twice like the other board.

The lamps came on (some are still disconnected) but they don't flicker.

Looks like the problem is on the MPU.

#9 6 years ago

I suspect it's the display interrupt generator circuit which is based on the 555 timer chip at U12 on the MPU board that's running too fast.
None of your meters have a "Hz" setting?

#10 6 years ago

I re-connected the remaining feature lights - they don't all work in attract but seem to all work in test mode AND they don't flicker.

I picked up a cheap meter a while back (because it has a loud beep for continuity test). It has an "F" mode. Don't know what it's for - never used it.

IMG_1135 (resized).JPGIMG_1135 (resized).JPG

IMG_1136 (resized).JPGIMG_1136 (resized).JPG

#11 6 years ago

The "F" on your meter is for checking capacitors. "F" stands for Farads.
Let's try checking the components that set the timing of the 555 timer chip at U12 with no power to the MPU board.

Set the meter to Ω resistance mode on the 200k scale (around 10 o' clock on the dial).
Resistor R21 on the MPU board above U12 should measure 36k ohms across both pins
Set the meter to Ω resistance mode on the 20k scale
Resistor R22 on the MPU board above U12 should measure 4.7k ohms across both pins
Set the meter to Ω resistance mode on the 2k scale
Resistor R23 on the MPU board below U12 should measure 1k ohms across both pins

Now set your meter to F capacitance mode on the 200n scale (around 5 o' clock on the dial).
What do you measure across capacitor C16 (the big green capacitor under U12)?
What do you measure across capacitor C17 to the right of U12?

[EDIT] Actually to measure capacitors with that meter requires the loose capacitor to be inserted into the socket area on the meter marked "Cx". Try running some jumper wires from that Cx socket to the capacitors on the board to see if you get any readings.
Technically you should disconnect the capacitors to properly measure them but let's see what you read anyway.
Where I say "measure across" I mean one meter lead on one component leg, other meter lead on the other component leg.

#12 6 years ago

That cheap meter doesn't want to read ohms. So I used my Radio Shack meter. (but it don't have "F" or "Hz")
R21 = 36.45
R22 = 4.79
R23 = .998

I'll try to hook up something to use the "Cx" on the cheap meter.

Be right back

#13 6 years ago

Resistor readings look good.
If the problem is in this area of the circuit, the big green capacitor is the likely suspect.

#14 6 years ago

I don't think it likes Cx mode either (but it's good for a loud beep when I'm testing continuity).

I turned the meter to "F" and got 32.8 with nothing connected. Then I connected jumpers to C17 and still got 32.8 - see photo.

Then I turned the meter off and tryed again - this time all I get is 1. - connected or not.

I may have a new C16 and C17 (I'll check tomorrow).

Anything else I can check - Ed is on vacation till next week and I don't have a new 555.

IMG_1140 (resized).JPGIMG_1140 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

I just checked and I do have a new C16 - It's much smaller - part number cpr-0.1 uf - 250 V-J from GPE.

Tomorrow I'll change it and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Quench.

Bob

#16 6 years ago

Is the new C16 also a green polyester type? If it's an orange ceramic disc type like C17 it will not be stable but still worth a try to at least see if the old C16 is the problem.

I see the board has had some work done to it - is that person able to check it; i.e. measure the frequency out of the 555?

#17 6 years ago

This is what I I have:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CPR-0.1uF-250V-J

When I worked on my friends Meteor I noticed the C16 was cracked and I replaced it (I got two from GPE).

I don't know who worked on it before. But his name was Bill - he signed it on the back.

What would be a decent meter with frequency for a novice like me?

Capture aa (resized).PNGCapture aa (resized).PNG

#18 6 years ago

That polyester capacitor from G-P-E is fine.

I'm not in the US so can't say where you can locally get a meter with frequency counter - maybe someone else can chime in. Essentially they will have a "Hz" setting for measuring frequency.

By the way when you remove the old C16, stick it in the Cx socket of your meter and see what it reads.

#19 6 years ago

I replaced the C16. No change. Lights still flicker. When it booted it stayed on for some time then re-booted. After the second boot I counted and it took about 20 seconds and re-booted again.

Then I tried it again. First boot it stayed on for about 50 seconds - then re-booted. Stayed on for about 10 seconds - then re-booted. Stayed on for about 20 seconds - then re-booted. Then I started a game. I played the entire game and it stayed on (still had flickering lights). About 20 seconds after the game ended it re-booted again.

I ordered a new 555 timer but it'll be a week or so before I can get it. (GPE is closed for the holidays)

I couldn't try the old C16 in the Cx socket because one leg broke off when I removed it. But I did try the new one before I installed it. The new one just read "1". The only reason I use that meter is for the loud tone on continuity test.

I looked at the meter from China. Several things wrong there - I don't do well on Ebay, it'll take a few weeks to arrive, and the display looks small (hard for these old eyes to see). On the other hand the Kline meter is local and I could get it tomorrow. My only concern is if it will measure the frequency's I need for Pinball games.

Bob

#20 6 years ago

Are you seeing any other abnormal behavior, like does the game seem slow to respond?
Are there any stuck switches showing up in switch test mode?
If you disconnect the SB100 sound board, does it make any difference to the rebooting/lamp flickering?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

On the other hand the Kline meter is local and I could get it tomorrow. My only concern is if it will measure the frequency's I need for Pinball games.

Kline specs here:
https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/d8/d877cc18-53db-4489-b9f5-501af860a1e3.pdf

The Kline MM400 measures up to 50kHz - useless.
The Kline MM600 measures up to 500kHz - better but still not enough in my mind for the layout.

You should be able to find something that will measure many MHz. Try looking specifically for frequency counters.

I'm getting a feeling the 555 timer circuit may not be the issue though - depends on your response to post #20

#22 6 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JQ4O2U/ref=asc_df_B000JQ4O2U5320959

Solid DMM for the price. Very functional and big display. It is one of the meters I use all the time. Only problems I have with it are annoyances like slow auto ranging and the auto power off after a few minutes.

Make sure all your connectors are good. Try with the switches unplugged. A switch return shorted to ground, like at the coin door, can make the lamps act up when the PIA changes over to do the lamps. Try back out and re sit socketed chips. Try new PIA.

#23 6 years ago

Thanks guys - I thought you'd all be out celebrating the new year. I guess we're getting older.

The only time it seems slow to respond is when the ball drops into the "collect bonus" hole. One time it stuck there. But usually it works fine. I thought it was just a dirty switch.

Now it's booting so often that it's hard to get into test mode - it re-boots as soon as I press the test button. One time I got all the way to switch test and noticed "0" in the display before it re-booted. I don't think any switches are stuck. They all seem to work during game play.

What is strange (to me) is it don't re-boot during game play. It will play the entire game - when the game ends then it will re-boot.

After I changed C16 and installed the board I didn't connect the sound board. (too difficult to plug in and I figured I would be removing the board again anyway.) So, no, the sound board connected makes no difference.

I have been having problems lately installing new connectors but I was very careful when I installed these. (not saying I didn't mess up though).

You said "try with the switches unplugged" - That would be J2 and J3?

I hate re-setting chips but I'll try that.

I'd like to try new PIA's but I'm out (used the last ones on the Magic game) and GPE is still out of stock (has been for a long time). The only other place I can find them is Marco and he's stupid expensive on chips.

Thanks for the input on the meter - Andrew, I think I saw you using that meter on a video (long time ago). I wasn't sure which one it was - My Radio Shack is slow on auto ranging also so that don't bother me. And I need the auto-off because I always forget to turn stuff off. Does it work well for frequencies? Does it measure MHz?

Thanks guys for helping tonight - hope you all have a great New Year.

Bob

#24 6 years ago

You said "try with the switches unplugged" - That would be J2 and J3?

Correct. Remove connectors J2 and J3 off the MPU board and see if there's any change to the lamps flickering.

Try carefully swapping the two PIA chips at U10 and U11 around and see if the symptoms change.

By the way if the game reboots when you press the coin door test switch, it could be caused by SW33 on the MPU board being closed. So check that SW33 switch with your meter and verify that it's operating properly.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

#25 6 years ago

It's 4 AM and I can't sleep with this problem in my head. Yesterday I changed the MPU with the 8 Ball and it booted fine and the lights didn't flicker. So I don't think it's the connectors or switches are bad (but I will dis-connect them anyway and try.) I'm beginning to think PIA's are the culprit. Maybe I'll switch them with the 8 Ball. Seems a lot of them are going bad lately. I need to get a handful somewhere.

Tomorrow I'll try again (in the afternoon) I gotta get some sheep.

Bob

#26 6 years ago

I pulled off J2 and J3 - First thing I noticed was it don't re-boot anymore. But the lights still flicker. Actually I thought the lights would all be off with the connectors off.

Then I tried the self test but that don't work with the connectors removed.

Next I'll try switching PIA's with the 8 Ball.

#27 6 years ago

I pulled off J2 and J3 - First thing I noticed was it don't re-boot anymore. But the lights still flicker. Actually I thought the lights would all be off with the connectors off.

J2 is the connector for the playfield switches.
J3 is the connector for the cabinet switches.

Disconnect one at a time to see which is causing the reboots. Most likely related to slam tilt somehow.

Lamps signals come off the MPU board on connector J1.

#28 6 years ago

I switched the PIA's with the 8 Ball. I also checked the SW 33 and it checked OK.

Put the board back in with only J1 and J4 connected. It booted then booted again. After 20 seconds it booted a third time. Lights still flicker.

I guess the old PIA's were OK.

What else could be the problem? Could the 555 be causing this?

I gotta get a frequency meter.

#29 6 years ago

Swap the 6800 CPU at U9 from the 8 Ball MPU board.

#30 6 years ago

I just swapped U9's. No change but it did stay on longer before it re-booted.

I took some photos - maybe you can see something I'm missing.

IMG_1157 (resized).JPGIMG_1157 (resized).JPG

IMG_1148 (resized).JPGIMG_1148 (resized).JPG

IMG_1143 (resized).JPGIMG_1143 (resized).JPG

IMG_1147 (resized).JPGIMG_1147 (resized).JPG

IMG_1145 (resized).JPGIMG_1145 (resized).JPG

IMG_1146 (resized).JPGIMG_1146 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

back of board:

IMG_1149 (resized).JPGIMG_1149 (resized).JPG

IMG_1151 (resized).JPGIMG_1151 (resized).JPG

IMG_1154 (resized).JPGIMG_1154 (resized).JPG

IMG_1152 (resized).JPGIMG_1152 (resized).JPG

IMG_1153 (resized).JPGIMG_1153 (resized).JPG

#32 6 years ago

Hmm, I don't see anything particularly obvious in the pics.

I think it is worth trying this Stern MPU board in the 8 Ball machine to see what happens.
Does the 8 Ball MPU board have original mask ROMs? Can you post a picture of them?

#33 6 years ago

I gave up for tonight. The temperature outside is 2*F and it's a little chilly in my shop. Tomorrow I try the Stern MPU in the 8 ball and see how it works.

Actually the Stern MPU appears to be in better condition than the 8 ball.

When I switched IC's I looked over the sockets and they looked in good condition.

One thing I haven't changed is the C17. Do you think it's worth changing? I have one in stock but it's axial - not disc. But it is 0.01 uF - 100 V. Ceramic.

Tomorrow I'll order the 555 from GPE and probably the meter barakandl suggested.

Anything else you think I might need?

8 Ball Photos:

IMG_0870 (resized).JPGIMG_0870 (resized).JPG

IMG_0871 (resized).JPGIMG_0871 (resized).JPG

IMG_0872 (resized).JPGIMG_0872 (resized).JPG

IMG_0874 (resized).JPGIMG_0874 (resized).JPG

IMG_0873 (resized).JPGIMG_0873 (resized).JPG

#34 6 years ago

You can try just disconnecting one leg of C17 and see if it makes any difference.
I think the meter Andrew mentioned does up to 200kHz. So long as it's capable of measuring logic frequencies (DC), you will find out if the 555 timer circuit is running at proper speed or not (around 320Hz).

I just ordered one of these Zotek ZT102 meters locally to add to the toy collection:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3244LO

It will measure frequencies up to 9.999MHz - hopefully it will measure DC logic frequencies (not just AC). Will let you know when it gets here. The cheaper $13.99 ZT101 meter listed also measures frequency but just lacks temperature measurement.

Since you're working on solid state machines now, at some point it might help to have a logic probe.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terrybs-guide-to-logic-probes

The 8 Ball MPU board has the same type of ROMs as your Wild Fyre meaning you can directly swap the ROMs between the two MPU boards without having to change any ROM configuration wire jumpers.

But first, just plug the Wild Fyre MPU board as is into the 8 Ball machine and see what happens.

I think the key here is going to be finding out why the MPU board is rebooting which could be related to the lamp flickering. Can you detail again what conditions seem to cause and not cause the reboots?

When you power on the machine, try tapping the MPU board in different areas including on socketed chips to see if it causes any reboots - just to check if there's some bad connection on the board. Wiggle the J1 and J4 connectors a little too.

#35 6 years ago

I just ordered the Mastech. Hopefully it'll be here soon. Let me know how you like the Zotek. That's a good price. I thought about getting both.

I have a logic probe - same one as Terry's. I'm not real good at using it yet but I'm learning.

I put the Stern MPU into the 8 Ball (with Wild Fyre ROM's). It booted then after a couple of minutes it booted again. Then again. The 8 Ball light driver board is in the Stern so I couldn't tell if the lights flicker - but I suspect they would.

I have the MPU on the bench right now so I think I'll change the C17 next. I'm sure the problem is on the board. If C17 don't fix it the only thing left would be the 555. I'll order one tonight when Ed is back. What else could cause this problem?

I'll let you know if a new C17 helps.

Bob

#36 6 years ago

Do the easy stuff first.
Swap the 8 Ball ROMs onto this Stern board, and also the RAM at U7 and the NVRAM at U8. Put the lamp board back in the 8 Ball machine aswell as this Stern board and see what happens.

When you remove the NVRAM at U8, have a good look at the condition of the socket to make sure it hasn't suffered from previous battery corrosion.

#37 6 years ago

I replaced the C17 - didn't help.

Parts and meter are ordered - but probably won't be here till next week. I feel I'm in the dark without measuring the 555.

The NVRAMs are both new - and I have spares.

I can change out the ROM's, RAM, and NVRAM but if they were faulty wouldn't that keep it from booting?

Previously you said "I'm getting a feeling the 555 timer circuit may not be the issue". Why don't you think it's the problem? We've changed almost everything else.

I have a good 12 volt power supply that I connect to an old solenoid driver board for bench testing MPUs. (5 volts and 12 volts) (Works really good). I also have a 25 volt DC transformer to connect to TP3 to get the seventh flash. If I connected all that up to the MPU could it replicate the re-booting problem?

Pb1010022 (resized).JPGPb1010022 (resized).JPG

IMG_2508 (resized).JPGIMG_2508 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago

The original ROM chips look kinda beat. Tarnish can build up on the legs which I imagine is not very conductive.

A faulty chip or its socket connection could make your symptom.

#39 6 years ago

^^^ +1

Previously you said "I'm getting a feeling the 555 timer circuit may not be the issue". Why don't you think it's the problem? We've changed almost everything else.

If the 555 timer was running too fast, I'd expect to be seeing other issues. Apart from the reboots, you mention the game seems to otherwise play normally. Measuring output pin 3 on the 555 timer is still worth doing so we know if it's in or out of range. The timer is still a suspect but less so.

I can change out the ROM's, RAM, and NVRAM but if they were faulty wouldn't that keep it from booting?

Please do so - we have to eliminate all easy possibilities. Changing the ROMs makes the board run a different software set - it may or may not reveal something. RAM and NVRAM can pass the poweron tests but if they are borderline they may fail once the game is up and running - again we have to eliminate these as a possible cause.
As barakandl just mentioned the sockets could be dubious with chips that have tarnished pins.

I have another small suspicion on the reboots. You mentioned the game is rebooting at startup in attract mode, but you can play a full game without any reboots, then it will reboot after the end of a game in attract mode. You also mentioned the game doesn't reboot when you disconnected J2 and J3 from the MPU board.
I'm wondering if this is being caused by a switch matrix issue that is causing the game to see the slam switch as active (Slam will cause a software reset) when the ball is in the outhole.
Coincidentally the Outhole switch is on the same row as the Slam switch in the matrix.
With J2 and J3 connected to the MPU board, can you please remove the ball from the Outhole, power the machine up and tell us if the game still does the rebooting in attract mode.
After you've done this, please disconnect J2 then J3 off the MPU board one at a time to see which switch harness is causing the reboots.

#40 6 years ago

I didn't get a chance to get to the shop today (other errands to do). Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I must have mislead you about J2 and J3. The game does re-boot with J2 and J3 disconnected. As a mater of fact they haven't been connected since I was asked to remove them several attempts ago. (Back when I noticed I still have the flicker even when they are disconnected). Maybe when I replaced the PIA's I didn't leave it on long enough to re-boot.

Something I noticed when I looked closely at the photos above. Pins 23 and 24 of U2 appear to have solder on them. I wonder if they have been repaired? Also there is a small chip in the top of U6.

My next step will be to switch ROM's with the 8 Ball. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks you all for sticking with me on this - it's been a tough one. Hopefully we'll resolve this soon.

Bob

#41 6 years ago

p23 and p24 should not have continuity

I just noticed something on your board. R11 looks a bit toasty.

Can you confirm that the crappy little circuit that drops 12v to 5v for the 5101 RAM at U8 is OK? U8 P22 (top left) should be close to +5v. This would also effect the reset voltage (cpu p40). If R11 is burnt the cpu *may* reset and the 5101 *may* work if it can suck enough power out of the other pins.

Another thing with the 5101, check the /OD pin for pulsing. It should be pulsing like the R/W pin. I have seen a board with a dead gate (4049 i think it is) on the OD pin of the 5101 that caused some interesting problems.

#42 6 years ago

The two pins on U2 have been repaired. See photo.

I switched the ROMs from the 8 Ball. I also replaced the NVRAM with another new one that I have.

Before I re-installed the board I checked R11 - My cheap meter shows 85.5 ohms. In real life R11 don't look burnt. It's just a brown resistor.

I also inspected the sockets at U2 and U6. The U2 socket has been replaced before. I've never seen this type of socket before. Do you think it needs to be replaced?

Then I re-installed the board - Lights still flicker and it took about 2 minutes before it started re-booting. The it re-boots about every 30 seconds.

I now have the Stern board in with 8 Ball ROM's, PIA's, CPU and a new NVRAM. The only thing not 8 Ball is U7. I'll switch that next.

Can the test's on U8 be performed on the bench?

Bob

IMG_1166 (resized).JPGIMG_1166 (resized).JPG

IMG_1161 (resized).JPGIMG_1161 (resized).JPG

IMG_1170 (resized).JPGIMG_1170 (resized).JPG

IMG_1164 (resized).JPGIMG_1164 (resized).JPG

#43 6 years ago

I just switched U7 with the 8 Ball - exact same results as last time. Now all socket'ed chips are from the 8 Ball.

IMG_1176 (resized).JPGIMG_1176 (resized).JPG

IMG_1175 (resized).JPGIMG_1175 (resized).JPG

#44 6 years ago

Ok, you've got a complex problem with this board. Normally I'm using an oscilloscope but you don't have that luxury.

Set all the 32 MPU dip switches to OFF. They are actually part of the switch matrix. Lets make sure they aren't causing some phantom slam switch.

If you power up the board then connect pin 40 (reset pin) of the CPU at U9 to test point TP5 (which is 5V power), does the board still do the rebooting? This test essentially bypasses the reset circuit after powerup. Be careful not to accidentally short pin 40 to pin 39 at the CPU while the other end of the jumper wire is connected to TP5. Pin 39 of the CPU is ground.

One way or another, can you then get both your 8 Ball and Wild Fyre machines back up and running. Grab your logic probe, connect the black lead to the lamp board at TP1 (Ground) and the red lead to TP2 (5V). Put the probe on pin 1 of any of the four 4514 logic chips on the lamp board. You should see exactly the same indication on your logic probe on both machines. Do you? This is a signal from the MPU board to the lamp board that strobes lamp select data to the lamp board.

Do you have an EPROM programmer? I can write/modify code for test.

#45 6 years ago

Getting the 8 Ball back up won't be easy. The light driver board is still in the Wild Fyre - The MPU is on the bench with no chips in it. All the 8 Ball chips are in the Wild Fyre. But I can probe the 4514 chips in the Wild Fyre. I'll do that when I get back to the shop along with turning off all the dip switches.

If that doesn't work I think I'll connect my bench tester to perform the CPU and the 5101 tests. Hopefully I can replicate the re-booting problem on the bench.

We have guests coming this evening so I doubt I'll get any shop time.

#46 6 years ago

Back in the shop now. I moved all dip switches to off. Same results re-booting after a minute and still flickering lights.

I connected my logic probe to the light driver board (on this board TP1 is 5 volts and TP2 is ground). I got a bright LO and a dim HI. Occasionally I'd get a pulse but not consistent. I tried set on TTL and CMOS. same results. I tried on two different chips. Same results.

I just tested again and got the same results. The pulse will flash a couple of times then stop - then flash a few more times then stop. Very strange.

Does this tell you anything?

The new 555 arrived today but no meter yet.

Bob

#47 6 years ago

Looks like 4514 pin 1 is connected to J4 pin 13 (strobe 1). And that goes to J1 pin 11 (strobe 1) on the MPU. I probed the connector window on the MPU and get LO and pulse. Then I went back to LDA J4 - pin 13 and got the same. Then I re-checked 4514 pin and now I get LO and a constant pulse. Maybe my probe wasn't making good contact before.

So now 4514 IS showing LO and pulse.

Bob

#48 6 years ago

I connected my logic probe to the light driver board (on this board TP1 is 5 volts and TP2 is ground).

Wow, you're right. The tan colored Stern lamp board I looked at has TP1 and TP2 incorrectly reversed!

Do you have any other early Bally/Stern to compare the logic probe activity on that lamp strobe signal? The LO and pulse activity is about right, but it would be good to confirm identical behavior on another game. Problem here is we don't know how fast it's pulsing - it should be around 120Hz.

Did you get a chance to try connecting the reset line to 5V after powerup to see if the reboots stop (mentioned in post#44)? Below are other locations of the reset signal that might be easier/safer for you to access.

Reset signal at R139Reset signal at R139
Reset signal at viaReset signal at via

#49 6 years ago

I feel much safer connecting to R139 rather than pin 40.

My plan is to connect a jumper to R139, then power up and boot. Then connect the other end of the jumper to TP5. We'll see if that stops the re-booting.

Bob

#50 6 years ago

I connected a jumper to R139, turned it on and waited for it to boot up. Then connected the other end to TP5. Waited about 1 minute and it re-booted. Then about 10 seconds later it booted again. Then about another minute it booted again.

By the way I looked at the original Wild Fyre LDA and TP1 seems to go to ground. The board in the game is from 8 Ball (Bally). On there TP2 is ground.

The only games I have at this time are the 8 Ball and Wild Fyre. I wish Amazon would hurry and deliver my meter.

I think tomorrow I'll hook it up to my test bench.

I now have new 555's. Do you think I should replace the old one?

Bob

IMG_1182 (resized).JPGIMG_1182 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 69.00
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wild-fyre-feature-lights-flicker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.