Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dracula_Playfield_Fuse.png
WildFyre_Playfield_Fuse.png
Stars_Playfield_Fuse.png
IMG_20210214_084105 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a stern Wild Fyre that repeatedly blows the playfield fuse after about ten times actuating any coil connected to it. It controls bumpers, outhole, slings, and resets. If I watch the fuse while actuating coils, I can watch the metal slowly bend with each hit until it pops. I have the correct 1/4A slow blow in there.

Here is what I have done to try to resolve it.
I used a new Altek SDB that I had to test if it was the board. Still blew the fuse.

I replaced all coil diodes, and checked ohms on all coils. Coils check out.

I disconnected the pull wires from all coils, and then connected individual coils back. No matter which coil I connect back, it still blows the fuse after a few hits.

I've also scoured for a short associated with any of the coils, but can't find anything. Though I'm starting to suspect this more and more could be the problem.

Anyone have any other ideas for me?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinfert:

I have the correct 1/4A slow blow in there.

1/4 amp slow blow fuse is the wrong type, the playfield solenoid fuse should be a 1 amp slow blow fuse.
Be sure to use a slow blow fuse that is the coil type, the slow blow fuses with the small blob in the middle of the fuse wire break down quicker on repeated current surges.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

1/4 amp slow blow fuse is the wrong type, the playfield solenoid fuse should be a 1 amp slow blow fuse.
Be sure to use a slow blow fuse that is the coil type, the slow blow fuses with the small blob in the middle of the fuse wire break down quicker on repeated current surges.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 1/4A. Attached is a photo from the playfield. Where do you see that it's supposed to be 1A?

IMG_20210214_084105 (resized).jpgIMG_20210214_084105 (resized).jpg
#4 3 years ago

Ha! That label is for the fuse protecting cabinet chimes in their earlier games, not the playfield fuse. Someone at Stern's made a production line boo boo and stapled the wrong label there!

The Wild Fyre schematic doesn't list the fuse rating, however the Stars schematic (came out before Wild Fyre) and Dracula schematic (came out after Wild Fyre) show it as 1 amp. It's the same fuse spec for nearly every other Stern and Bally using that same architecture.

Stars_Playfield_Fuse.pngStars_Playfield_Fuse.png
WildFyre_Playfield_Fuse.pngWildFyre_Playfield_Fuse.png
Dracula_Playfield_Fuse.pngDracula_Playfield_Fuse.png

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Ha! That label is for the fuse protecting cabinet chimes in their earlier games, not the playfield fuse. Someone at Stern's made a production line boo boo and stapled the wrong label there!
The Wild Fyre schematic doesn't list the fuse rating, however the Stars schematic (came out before Wild Fyre) and Dracula schematic (came out after Wild Fyre) show it as 1 amp. It's the same fuse spec for nearly every other Stern and Bally using that same architecture.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That worked! Thanks for the excellent advice. Here I thought I was just following directions from the manufacturer! Now it seems that I am having the unrelated problem that my flippers won't work, and the flipper relay isn't engaging. Repinned connectors to no avail. This game is full of fun surprises!

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinfert:

Here I thought I was just following directions from the manufacturer!

You can print the proper fuse label if you want - see the Fuse Label 1A Slo-Blo download link here:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Stern%20Electronics.htm

Quoted from Pinfert:

I am having the unrelated problem that my flippers won't work, and the flipper relay isn't engaging. Repinned connectors to no avail. This game is full of fun surprises!

Do you need help with this or are you ok to sort it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wild-fyre-blowing-playfield-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.