(Topic ID: 192709)

Wild Card, Relay Bank Reset Inconsistent

By KingofKoopas

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

So I got my 1977 Williams Wildcard mostly up and running. However the problem is the relay bank that's reset by the giant 115v solenoid is resetting inconstantly. When the machine is start up it resets properly. However when the 8 cards are sunk the bank is supposed to reset completely. The solenoid fires, but some of the relays don't reset. I've noticed blue sparks on the relays that don't reset, but I can't find anything in the schematics that might provide a hint as to how that would relate.

However, if I put the machine in the service position and trip all the relays, the bank resets perfectly every time. When I put it on the prop bar or back down into it's normal position the inconstant reset behavior comes back.

I had a similar issue with my gottlieb which I fixed by moving the reset coil further away, but I can't see any way to do this on a Williams. The blue sparks are also confusing me.

If anyone needs pictures I'll do my best to oblige.

#2 6 years ago

Ok so quick update, I guess I was getting lucky cause it's now happening even with the playfield up. I've noticed that it's only happening on 3 relays in particular right now. I shot a quick video with my phone to demonstrate the blue sparks I'm seeing.

These never happen during re-start, and it always resets properly when starting a new game. I'm starting to suspect a short somewhere on the actual reset frame or something, as you can see at times the sparks go all up along the bank. I'm going to start looking tomorrow, but I'm still open to input if anyone else has an idea. I've followed the schematics, and I can't figure out a waythat the relays that aren't resetting are getting power. (If they are)

Also not shown is that if the relays are all manually reset, and the bank reset relay is triggered, those 3 relays tend to unlatch.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from KingofKoopas:

I've followed the schematics, and I can't figure out a waythat the relays that aren't resetting are getting power. (If they are)

Easy to test that - unsolder one wire from the coil, or temporarily remove the coil from the bank.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Easy to test that - unsolder one wire from the coil, or temporarily remove the coil from the bank.

Good idea, I'll keep that in mind next time though as I think I have it solved.

I found one or two switches that were touching the metal arm that locks the relay. It was throwing me for a loop as they only touch when the reset coil is fired. I put some masking tape in-between the switches and the lock and it seems to be resetting properly mid-game now. Since I don't see a way to adjust the arms, I'll just tighten the switch stacks (again) and add some electrical tape as insulation to them.

It's amazing what a good nights sleep can do. I was looking for over an hour last night with no luck. 5 minutes after I wake up I find this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wild-card-relay-bank-reset-inconsistent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.