(Topic ID: 225743)

Wild Card - Bonus issues, mainly. My first EM.

By misterschu

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Wild Card 5000 point bonus (resized).jpg
Switch blade lifters (resized).jpg
20180926_182634 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180926-183138_Drive (resized).jpg
Wild Card 10 pt relay (resized).jpg
wild card manual-compressed.pdf (PDF preview)
wild card schematics.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Recently picked up my first EM, Williams Wild Card from 1977. I've uploaded the schematic and manual here since they're not currently on IPDB (Uploading new items seems to be disabled?).

Here are the issues I've noticed:

1. Right sling shot doesn't score points or ring chime.
2. The lower switch on right slingshot changes the lit match number in the backbox. Both switches in the left slingshot change the lit match number.
3. Increments of 10000 score in Bonus, but 5000s do not (i.e. 10k or 20k will score, 5k, 15k or 25k will not).
4. Double Bonus doesn't score any Bonus.
5. The Left and Right eject holes intermittently do not spot an Acey or Ducey. While testing this, there was also a point where the switch did not seem to register at all (the ball was not ejected and no points, Aceys or Duceys awarded.)

So far all I have done to address was clean the contacts on the bonus unit with q tip and alcohol.

Would appreciate any guidance as I am a complete noob on EMs. I do own both a multimeter and a soldering iron, and am capable with both.

Thank you in advance!

For learning's sake I'll write my inclinations below (now that I'm sitting down to write and think):

1. For the right slingshot, I'll need to trace the Green-Black wire to the 10 point relay and make sure there's proper continuity.
2. The match problem is confusing for me. I would have imagined it's a short, but the last page of the schematic seems to show the 10 Point Relay connects Match Unit. So, maybe this is proper functionality?
3. Something to do with the X relay?
4. Same as above?
5. Stumped.

wild card manual-compressed.pdfwild card manual-compressed.pdfwild card schematics.pdfwild card schematics.pdf
#3 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The way your kickers work is:
- the two switches on either side of the kicker directly fire the kicker solenoid between them (last two coils at the bottom of the schematic).
- under each of the two kicker arms is a switch that should close when the kicker fires, which should in turn fire the 10 point relay (18-19 C on your schematic).
- the 10 point relay does all the heavy lifting (points, chimes, match unit, etc.) as shown in the manual:
[quoted image]
So you need to figure out which of these isn't working. Start with the four kicking rubber switches and make sure that all four reliably fire the kickers. Then check that the kickers always fire the 10 point relay. Narrowing down where the problem is will identify which switches aren't working.
Your problems could be as simple as dirty contacts but you'll likely need something with a little more oomph than just alcohol and a swab. What you need to remove likely will require a mild mechanical abrasion. Start with a dollar bill or business card. If that doesn't work, try a flexstone or very fine (1000+) sand paper. Use the least aggressive thing that will do the job.
/Mark

Thanks Mark, was able to fix the chime issue with some adjustments. The right kicker switches needed some cleaning as did the chime switch at the 10 point relay.

Any ideas about the bonus issues? I'm really not sure where to look here. I don't understand how the bonus count works.

#4 5 years ago

I started looking at the score motor after looking at some other tech threads. Mine seems to be missing some of the spacers/pins on the right-most switch stack. I guess I'll have to find replacements. What are these pieces called?

According to the schematic this is the impulse cam.

20180926_182634 (resized).jpg20180926_182634 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180926-183138_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180926-183138_Drive (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

How should the bonus work? Does it award 5000 points at a time, then take one step down, then award another 5000 points until it reaches zero? And how does your bonus work? For example if you're at a 15000 point bonus and the ball drains, do you get no bonus, or do you get nothing until it steps down to 10000?

Thanks for your response.

If bonus is at 5k you get 0, 15k you get 10k, 25k you get 20k. I'll have to look at how 5k is awarded (you mean how does the score motor run when a 5k switch is hit, right?) The 10k/20k etc in bonus is awarded by the 10k relay

I'll look into the lifters in the morning

#8 5 years ago

Got a 3d printed spacer/lifter the other night, popped it in and the game is working perfectly now. Thanks for your help MarkG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wild-card-bonus-issues-mainly-my-first-em?tu=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.