Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Driftless
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I was wondering if anyone had some best practices for extending my wifi network router to better reach the pins on the upstairs of my house. The connection is poor and often I can connect with GZ Pro in one room but not DP in another. As a preface my router is old I bet I have had this one for 10 years and I have rural Iowa internet that is a whopping 1 Meg. Yes I know it is painful! If you have any tips or specific routers you use that would be great. If I need a router and a booster that is something I would consider also. Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Maybe switch to a mesh network like orbi or eero

#3 1 year ago

Mesh network for sure. I use google home wifi and it works very well. I use 3 access points for a 2700 square foot house and it’s plenty. Even gets good reception outside in the backyard.

But your main issue is your limited internet. No amount of equipment is going to make your situation much better unfortunately. I would just keep doing usb updates if I were you.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Mesh network for sure. I use google home wifi and it works very well. I use 3 access points for a 2700 square foot house and it’s plenty. Even gets good reception outside in the backyard.
    But your main issue is your limited internet. No amount of equipment is going to make your situation much better unfortunately. I would just keep doing usb updates if I were you.

Thanks for the tips I will look into options for a mesh network I would like to run the achievements if I could get it to run consistently. Currently, I usually take my computer somewhere with faster internet to download new updates it almost always fails for me otherwise on these 6-7 gig files, and that is through the computer never tried it through the pin. It is kind of like 1998 around here so that is a bit of a challenge. Does anyone have any ideas how much internet it takes to run IC achievements?

#5 1 year ago

Not much internet at all is needed to actually use the platform. Are you sure no other options are available to you for internet? Cell service okay where you are? Hot spot from your carrier might be better.

#6 1 year ago

I find TP Link routers have a better range than a lot of others. If your router is 10 years old it probably needs pitching anyway.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not much internet at all is needed to actually use the platform. Are you sure no other options are available to you for internet? Cell service okay where you are? Hot spot from your carrier might be better.

Yeah unfortunately that is it for internet options unless I went satellite internet. I don’t have cell phone service at my house I have to use Wi-Fi assist on my iPhone. I have the ability to hot spot my phone but not an option for those reasons and lack of coverage. I think I will look into the mesh network thanks for the input.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

I find TP Link routers have a better range than a lot of others. If your router is 10 years old it probably needs pitching anyway.

Thanks I will look into that also much appreciated

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from aaron6920:

Yeah unfortunately that is it for internet options unless I went satellite internet. I don’t have cell phone service at my house I have to use Wi-Fi assist on my iPhone. I have the ability to hot spot my phone but not an option for those reasons and lack of coverage. I think I will look into the mesh network thanks for the input.

I guess my point is if you’re getting 1 Meg down at best, doesn’t matter how good your wifi coverage is at home. You’re still gonna have issues. Sound like satellite might be best for what you’re trying to do. But you could always return the mesh network right away if it doesn’t work.

1 week later
    3 months later
    #11 1 year ago

Does MabelTel service Dorchester? We have a house just east of Hesper and MabelTel pulled fiber to our house in a former alfalfa field on a gravel road with three other houses on about a three mile stretch. Hooked it up to a Google mesh network and have great signal throughout the house. We've got Ubiquiti Unifi WAPs at the office and they're rock solid.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wifi-router-extending-tips-for-insider and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.