30C87148-AE75-4C0E-83C0-761126ADCC4E (resized).jpeg
IMG_7657 (resized).JPG
IMG_7592 (resized).JPG
th (resized).jpg
IMG_0913 (resized).jpg
41cJWHSC1sL._SY400_ (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
61+h+CoQ6+L._SL1200_ (resized).jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

Great idea and thread - ordering some now to try

#52 4 years ago

I use Gosund plugs from Amazon. 4 for $25 on sale fairly regularly. I then setup routines in Amazon Alexa App and left instructions for the kids.

30C87148-AE75-4C0E-83C0-761126ADCC4E (resized).jpeg30C87148-AE75-4C0E-83C0-761126ADCC4E (resized).jpegA129A369-42FA-45C2-9CA6-563A09C4F66B (resized).jpegA129A369-42FA-45C2-9CA6-563A09C4F66B (resized).jpeg
#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

This guy makes decent mounts. They aren't as nice as the $180 one I have upstairs, but they also aren't $180.
https://www.makesbymike.com/

Thank you! I just ordered that!

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I use Gosund plugs from Amazon. 4 for $25 on sale fairly regularly. I then setup routines in Amazon Alexa App and left instructions for the kids.[quoted image][quoted image]

Hmmm, I tried to set that same scene up and it doesn’t work for me. Any tips?

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

It's not a scene... it's under routines. But first, make sure you've enabled the "smart home skills" for the device you want Alexa to interact with if you haven't already done that.

Then, once Alexa can control the device(s), go to the Routines page in your Alexa app and hit the + and then start following the setup. "When this happens"... choose Voice and then type your command like "let's play pinball".

Then you can go through and add actions to turn on your switches. Add delays or voice responses with the "say" function. Have fun and let us know if you get it working.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

I first setup the plugs in the smart life app and named them accordingly.

While still in the smart life app I created 2 scenes. One to turn the games on and one to run them off. I added 2 second pauses between each game to now blow breakers in my house.

Then in Alexa app I added the smart life skill and scanned for devices. I then setup the routines to use the scenes from smart life app.

Pictures should make it clear.

066AE79F-56D1-4F36-8B17-DFFF5B45F9A2 (resized).png066AE79F-56D1-4F36-8B17-DFFF5B45F9A2 (resized).pngEDCA6AB7-3BE9-4D71-ADA4-1497FDB5EB0C (resized).pngEDCA6AB7-3BE9-4D71-ADA4-1497FDB5EB0C (resized).png1269401E-FBC9-44F2-880D-CA21BAE5303F (resized).png1269401E-FBC9-44F2-880D-CA21BAE5303F (resized).png
1 month later
#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I use Gosund plugs from Amazon. 4 for $25 on sale fairly regularly. I then setup routines in Amazon Alexa App and left instructions for the kids.[quoted image][quoted image]

They do make power strips now as well

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/geeni-surge-smart-wi-fi-6-outlet-surge-protector-strip-white/6306487.p?skuId=6306487

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#58 4 years ago

My last CE Smart Plug just went, had it on my AC/DC Pro a single pin is more than they can handle. I switched to the receptacles and they are working great. Take a little more effort because you have to replace the actual plug but way better.

#59 4 years ago

But then I don’t get the tentacle effect I have now, or the APC brand surge protector rated to 1600 Joules.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

My last CE Smart Plug just went, had it on my AC/DC Pro a single pin is more than they can handle. I switched to the receptacles and they are working great. Take a little more effort because you have to replace the actual plug but way better.

A little late since you upgraded anyway, but this could have worked too...

DonDon - I'd be a little leary of the Best Buy plug mentioned. It is rated for 10A, but it doesn't address power factor (i.e. the relationship between current and voltage). Sorry - a little geeky, but it does affect current capability. Probably fine tho for one pin.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-power-switch-for-heavy-duty-appliances-zen15
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

A little late since you upgraded anyway, but this could have worked too...
DonDon - I'd be a little leary of the Best Buy plug mentioned. It is rated for 10A, but it doesn't address power factor (i.e. the relationship between current and voltage). Sorry - a little geeky, but it does affect current capability. Probably fine tho for one pin.
https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-power-switch-for-heavy-duty-appliances-zen15
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I use the ZEN25 for my machines. I have 9 of them and haven’t had any issues. They are a little “chatty” and bog down the network, so you need to make some adjustments to their reporting frequency.

Keep in mind, that the Zooz line is Zwave and everyone here is discussing WiFi.

#62 4 years ago

...Keep in mind, that the Zooz line is Zwave and everyone here is discussing WiFi.

Good point, I read right past that!

I think the newer of Alexa versions support Z-wave, but it might be thru an external device (e.g. Samsung SmartThings which I use, etc.). Not necessarily built it. Ditto for Zigbee.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Good point, I read right past that!
I think the newer of Alexa versions support Z-wave, but it might be thru an external device (e.g. Samsung SmartThings which I use, etc.). Not necessarily built it. Ditto for Zigbee.

Alexa needs a Zwave controller.

#64 4 years ago

Alexa needs a Zwave controller.

I tend to agree. I read a while ago that the Echo Plus might have one (actually, I think it was Zigbee), but not sure if I trust the posting... I doubt if the Echo Dots would have either, given the low price point.

Anyways, didn't mean to sidetrack the OP w/Z-wave.

#65 4 years ago

Anyone here use Google?? I know they are working on supporting z wave directly, my boyfriend uses lifx bulbs that use wifi but don't require a hub like Phillips hue

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wifi-enabled-smart-plugs/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.