(Topic ID: 45092)

WIFI enabled pins with worldwide linked high scores?

By starbase

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by atwong
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

How come know one has pulled this off yet? Seems like a simple way to increase our hobbies popularity. As much as it would sicken me to have to look at fellow pinsiders destroying my scores it would be nice to have a world record database updated when you log in. You log out score is logged, you log in you are updated on top 5 world scores. You could have a separate local score table and than the internet linked scores separate. Seems like a better use of a wifi/internet enabled pin than trying to pull off some sort of multiplayer 2 player vs between games.

Yes I know pinball is a bit stone aged in it's lack of technology update but how long will we wait to see trickle down of tech like this in all pins, probably never, would be cool though you must admit.

#2 11 years ago

Pinball by definition is a social game. Inner linking of games through wi fi with your friends around the country is only a matter of time. You could have a four player game and watch your friends game from across the country on the LCD screen while it was his turn with his score reflecting on your machine.

I think this is coming in the next few years. JJP has talked about it. The Predator boys even someone talked about it (not the LCD screen but using wi fi).

#3 11 years ago

Quetzal Nemo will do this. Pin to be delivered this year.
http://quetzalpinball.com/
"Set up the wifi connection and you will be able to upload your high scores to Internet, download new updates or new rules"

#4 11 years ago

JJP seems the closest hardware wise to slap a wireless card into there game and popping a little antena out the back. Connect to your network and click the "OK to link scores" option and with a little software ingenuity I believe this possible.

My guess is the real reason this is not being a reality is all the people that would try and cheat the system, but really if you put a sensor in for the glass being on or off this might be to easy to cheat and we end up with champions at hitting switches with the glass off.

#5 11 years ago

Yes I am waiting for pinball to evolve and add new things. Skit pinball has some neat features on tracking shots and unlocking codes based on certain things completed.

#6 11 years ago

Perhaps if they made a live stream requirement for each competition as you played this would eliminate some of the potential for cheating.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Perhaps if they made a live stream requirement for each competition as you played this would eliminate some of the potential for cheating.

Watch the live stream on your own games LCD screen while the other player is playing. The two machines could communicate to make sure both are on the same rules. You could even install an extra speaker just for trash talking or encouragement (as the case may be) from the other player. Endless possibilities.

#8 11 years ago

Would think there would be too many machine variants to consider to even think of having universal high scores.

3 years later
#9 7 years ago

So someone figured out to get data from the Stern motherboard using Raspberry Pi. He's currently using the integration to auto tweet scores. I can see that this could be easily enhanced so that there is a REST interface to pull a whole bunch of data more than just scores and a web based console to control wifi and social media integration. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/auto-tweeting-high-scores

Anyhow back on topic, you can then use twitter as the database and just query against that data. That way scores are optional.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wifi-enabled-pins-with-worldwide-linked-high-scores and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.