(Topic ID: 77253)

Wife: You can buy another pinball machine if...

By ShinyBall

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by lol_implied
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pf-big_show-3.jpg
    gweem.jpg
    DSC09894.JPG

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Wondering what kind of conditions the rest of you guys that have a wife (or significant other) have to deal with in order to get another machine. In my case it was, "if you sell one of your Harleys!" ( Ain't happening). I'll have to find another way. But, it got me thinking, there has to be some interesting stories out there.

#2 5 years ago

She says I can only buy NIB, thats the 1 stipulation I must abide by...

DSC09894.JPG

#3 5 years ago

Asking forgiveness rather than permission has worked for me so far...

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

In my case it was, "if you sell one of your Harleys!" ( Ain't happening).

She said: "either it goes, or I go"....sure am gonna miss her.

#5 5 years ago

Not a problem at all for me, she only ask : "when will you buy the next one ?" or "which one are you looking for ?"

I'm probably lucky

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Piparoo:

Asking forgiveness rather than permission has worked for me so far...

This has also worked for me in the past. Now she says No More! So back to the beginning.

#7 5 years ago

My wife rarely complains about my pin purchases, just the amount of space. She's dying for a Walking Dead pin (no pun intended). But it usually ends up buying a cruise for her when I get a new pin. BTW, Centerflank can your wife talk to my wife???

#8 5 years ago

Oh my gawd Center.....

NIB Gloryhole?

#9 5 years ago

My wife recently said, "If you want another pinball machine, you need to sell one first." However, she isn't anti pinball, she is just trying to force me to realize we are out of space for new machines at this point.

#10 5 years ago

Here's a tip: Don't let your wife watch "Special When Lit"

#11 5 years ago

I think someone may have been a bit overly generous when sizing that glory hole ...

#12 5 years ago

Gobblehole!

#13 5 years ago

Mine usually puts in a big Nordstroms order to get back at me. But mostly it's just a space issue. Otherwise she wouldn't care.

#14 5 years ago

My wife literally just decided to re-do our master bedroom in direct retaliation to my pinball hobby.

#15 5 years ago

I do what I want!!!

And no, I'm not married :-p

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

DSC09894.JPG 186 KB

This is my new favorite Pinball related photo. KUDOS to the wife for this one!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

DSC09894.JPG 186 KB

I think this is called a "mystery hole".

#18 5 years ago

I have a better photo but I can't share the unedited version for fear of getting the ban hammer...

My wife only has the stipulation that she is allowed to play all the games. She loves pinball. She is hot, smart, and loves pins >>> YES, I pretty much hit the jackpot (aside from the majority of my pin $$$ giong to her education the past 4 years). Hopefully in another year or so I will have me a hot sugga moma!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from daley:

My wife recently said, "If you want another pinball machine, you need to sell one first." However, she isn't anti pinball, she is just trying to force me to realize we are out of space for new machines at this point.

^ This. Right now I am in the process of selling two machines I really like to make room. I think the point is perfectly valid. You have to ask yourself if you would be as tolerant if your spouse took on a hobby this expensive and this space consuming. I'm not sure I would be.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I think someone may have been a bit overly generous when sizing that glory hole ...

Blasphemy, send yourself a ban vote.

#21 5 years ago

For every pinball machine I buy my wife gets a new puppy. We're getting our 5th dog this year thanks to MMR.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

I think this is called a "mystery hole".

You think it's going to award 500,000 points, but nope - it's a penis instead.

#23 5 years ago

My stipulation:

"As long as TFTC doesn't leave, you can get whatever you want provided you have the cash to buy it."

So yeah, sky's the limit for me . Of course, the same reciprocation goes for her - she can buy what she wants so as long as she has the cash for it.

Before we got married, 2 or 3 major ground rules were set. One was: "If it goes over $99.99, we need to stop and talk about it."

That was something we both brought to the table and both agreed was an excellent rule. It has always steered us away from trouble, and it gives both of us mutual respect.

T3 is coming next week (per Michelle Bianchi), and then pins 3 and 4 are being scoped out. Come on MM14, start those fire sales!!!

#24 5 years ago

No conditions for me thankfully. space is my only constraint. my wife had never played pinball until i bought my first one
    about 16 years ago and she was pretty much hooked. we have had many different machines since then and she has her favorites. one of them is whitewater which i bought her for on one of our wedding anniversaries. It was a surprise gift and was quite a chore hiding it and sneaking it into the house the night before.

#26 5 years ago

Wife says, as long as the money is there for food and bills. I can fill my new 20X40 garage/ playroom! as long as we remain mortgage free, LOL.

#27 5 years ago

Wife: You can buy another pinball machine if...you get a divorce attorney.

LOL - but then again she stated NO pinball machines a few years back. I have one now...so who knows...

#28 5 years ago

My wife has always been cool with my hobbies. I definitely married the right woman, for many reasons.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Well, its for the pool cleaning guy....

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My wife has always been cool with my hobbies. I definitely married the right woman, for many reasons.

Going forward, I'll never get into another long term serious relationship with a woman who isn't on board with my hobbies. You're lucky!

#31 5 years ago

Have to sell one first.

I once tried to push past that restriction. It did not go well. I will not be trying that again any time soon.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

For every pinball machine I buy my wife gets a new puppy. We're getting our 5th dog this year thanks to MMR.

That was a absolute great idea! My GSH is turning 13 this year, and the wife has been hinting that we should start thinking about getting a pup. I just said to her, "what if I get you a new gsh puppy..would that work instead of selling one of my harleys?" She responded with, "I want 2 then"..... Done deal!
    The only problem with this is, I can only do this once, we have a city ordinance that a household can only have 3 dogs. So I will have to come up with something else down the road for the next one.
    But for now, yippee! ( I want the new pups too..but no need to tell her)

Thank-you

#33 5 years ago

she gets diamonds or a vacation. I prefer vacation that way I win twice.

#34 5 years ago

My girlfriend told me I can buy a ColorDMD after I buy new patio furniture lol

#35 5 years ago

City ordinance of 3 dogs?!? My city's limit is 7, and we have 8. And I have 7 pins. Sounds like I need another pin to even things up....

#36 5 years ago

My wife isnt anti pinball but she grumbled a bit then i purchased her a $10k desk for the so she got over it then when running out of spaced she inquired how many more we were getting IDK i said max it out until we get a bigger place. but since its now making us a bit of money with restorations and paying for itself she dont mind pinball at all anymore even though she dont play.

#37 5 years ago

No conditions here, it's my hobby and she loves playing. She drove with me the other night to pick up a new dart machine because she wanted to check out the arcade warehouse I bought it from.

#38 5 years ago

Anyone got advice how to broach the subject?

#39 5 years ago

No conditions, she supports my hobby, but she couldn't couldn't care less about it personally. So the smart thing to do is to keep your wife happy if you're going to pour a ton of money into something. I just had all the windows in the house redone, I'm feeling covered for a bit.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Anyone got advice how to broach the subject?

Are we still talking about glory holes?

#41 5 years ago

Perhaps a good question to ask is, "How did I get myself into a position in a relationship where I feel I need to ask permission?" -- and get that situation resolved.

Don't get me wrong, it's often important to "work with your partner" on things, it's just that "asking permission" is one of many possible approaches to working things out (not one of my favorites) ... If you feel like it's your only option, I'd look into on creating more options.

-mof

#42 5 years ago

Well in the end if it came down to it i could just remind the wife hey pinball is better than the booze, cocain and other shit i used to spend all my money on years ago lol.

#43 5 years ago

and if you can't take MOF's advice then I typically start the conversation with my face buried inbetween her legs...

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Perhaps a good question to ask is, "How did I get myself into a position in a relationship where I feel I need to ask permission?" -- and get that situation resolved.
    Don't get me wrong, it's often important to "work with your partner" on things, it's just that "asking permission" is one of many possible approaches to working things out (not one of my favorites) ... If you feel like it's your only option, I'd look into on creating more options.
    -mof

well, when you are talking about spending 8k to 10k..I think both need to agree..at least in my household.

#45 5 years ago

I think as long as she gets her vacations and things get updated around the house I'll be okay.

I have a lot of space in the basement......but she doesn't seem to agree. Luckily she spends almost no time in the basement.

#46 5 years ago

Hope I never get to the point where I hit this stage. I realize some people pool all their money together, but not around here. My money, her money, our money... and if I'm paying for it with my money, then I'll buy what I want, when I want.

#47 5 years ago

I've got a lock on it. Every time I sell a pin, wifey gets the first $100. If I replace the pin with two or three more she knows that's just another two or three hundred in her pocket someday.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

well, when you are talking about spending 8k to 10k..I think both need to agree..at least in my household.

I would agree with that sentiment 100%.

(I should say up front that in our family, the hobby money is separate, and the living space is mutually funded/shared/enjoyed.)

In general, I just prefer a different approach than 'asking for permission' to reach agreement on any subject with my GF. In short, I ask her opinion to see if she thinks doing X is a wise decision. She considers it thoughtfully from a few angles, and gives me her honest opinion -- I don't always like what I hear, but her considerations always help me make my decision. I just put the shoe on the other foot and think -- Hey, I appreciate being asked questions about her tougher decisions to make (she makes most of them alone, and doesn't need any outside input), and so I try to include her in the process of making mine when I can.

As a teenager, I asked my parents frequently for permission, since they were in power at that time. It would be out of character for me and my GF if were asking each other for permission on stuff. For us, that might feel more like a hostage crisis standoff -- a power struggle. Every family is different.

-mof

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

-mof

You know, I've known several people that take this approach, and for some reason, most of them seem to end up divorced. I don't think it's so much a question of "asking permission" as much as it is respecting the views of your partner, especially when that partner is an equal when it come to bringing home the $$$. I don't want her spending money on something that I might consider frivilous without at least discussing it with me. I think it's only fair that it works both ways.

Years ago, I had a friend that I used to go to the dog track with and we'd bet together. One day we hit a bunch of races and left with over a grand each in our pockets. I said, "Man, I sure wish I didn't have to say how much we won here today" and he says, "Don't say anything, just put it in your effing shoe." I said, that's one reason you're no longer married-you put it in your shoe once too often.

#50 5 years ago

For those with more money and space than you know what to do with, congratulations. More power to you. You go out and buy whatever you want. I've told my husband many a time if we hit the lottery, he can do whatever he wants with the money. (As will I. ) But until then, since we have limited space and money, we run things past each other for big purchases. And sadly, I'm the one that seems to want the more expensive things (pins) than he does (XBoxOne, PS4.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Mod Co.
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.00
    $ 10.95
    € 8.40
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 11.95
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 20.90
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Haus
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 23.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside