Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Twilight1
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Fiberglass_Thermal_Bypass0159-DFs (resized).jpg
    20190524_134251.jpg
    20190522_162520.jpg
    20190522_162617.jpg
    20190522_162644.jpg
    20190521_184714.jpg
    20190521_123415.jpg
    20190521_123355.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irobot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

the wood nailed to the floor should be pressure treated

do not put up batt insulation and a vapor barrier. that is obsolete technology, leads to mold

instead, use 2" eps foam and no vapor barrier, with fire breaks at the ceiling

i would not install the bathroom. a basement is not a good living space, there is no need to put a bedroom down there either.

just make it a recreation area and call it good

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I don’t know where you live, but here in Ontario it’s quite common to have a bedroom and bathroom in the basement.
    I’d recommend a mold blocking paint like this, it’s not cheap, but works
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/zinsser-watertite-mold-and-mildew-paint-3-7l/1000739188

Most people don't realize that concrete is porous. A basement can evaporate 20 gallons of water a day into the air through the concrete.

If you put up batt insulation and a vapor barrier, you keep the hot air from inside the house from condensing on the concrete, but you trap the vapor moving through the wall into the insulation.

There is no paint in the world that can keep water from gassing into your basement, because the water has a pressure head.

there are a whole lot of "sick" basements out there full of mold.

batt insulation is NOT YOUR FRIEND in your basement.

I'm a civil engineer, I researched this extensively before I did my basement. I recommend you doing the same. Look up XPS insulation. It's semi-porous and works way way better.

Just trying to help.
    Fiberglass_Thermal_Bypass0159-DFs (resized).jpgFiberglass_Thermal_Bypass0159-DFs (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider irobot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wife-said-sell-basement-renovation-gamesroom-?tu=irobot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.