You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

52a9db5f7da42a33f17488eda6ea7dc9aefce4cd (resized).jpg
20191107_223137 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello!
Im kinda giving up now, and am eternally grateful for some help. I bought a special force, rebuilt both flippers. I replaced all flipper parts, adjusted eos, checked that there is smooth nice manual movement of the plunger link into the coil etc. I feel i have done all checks on sticky flippers.

But as soon as i hold the right flipper button more than a second it sticks, in cradled position. If i push gently it goes down, i also tested turning of the machine in that position and ut does not drop so its mechanical, not electrical.

See attached photos and videos of topside and manual movement of the flipper.

Any help greatly appreciated!

This is how it looks topside:

And this is me releasing the flipper mech manually from stuck position ,pushing the flipper link and its not sticking:

This photo is how it looks under pf when its stuck:

20191107_223137 (resized).jpg20191107_223137 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

A couple things to check.
Has the coil overheated and damaged the coil sleeve?
Is the return spring weak?
Is the metal shaft smooth or is it burred?

When I rebuild flippers I usually replace the coils, sleeves, and springs.

#3 4 years ago

Be sure you have a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper ( not back and forth ) so the pawl isn't binding below the playfield.

See red arrow - is the EOS barely sticking on the rubber on the pawl ?

LTG : )

52a9db5f7da42a33f17488eda6ea7dc9aefce4cd (resized).jpg52a9db5f7da42a33f17488eda6ea7dc9aefce4cd (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

A couple things to check.
Has the coil overheated and damaged the coil sleeve?
Is the return spring weak?
Is the metal shaft smooth or is it burred?
When I rebuild flippers I usually replace the coils, sleeves, and springs.

Coil sleeve is brand new.
The return spring does not seem slacker than the other side, but can always cutting it a little.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be sure you have a tiny bit of up and down play on the flipper ( not back and forth ) so the pawl isn't binding below the playfield.
See red arrow - is the EOS barely sticking on the rubber on the pawl ?
LTG : )[quoted image]

It has some up / down play on the flipper

Yeah i guess its touching only abit but it is enough to make a gap closing in on the stroke... sjould not that be sufficient?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

its touching only abit but it is enough to make a gap closing in on the stroke... sjould not that be sufficient?

When it's stuck up, push the leaf blade away, if it snaps back, you know if the end of the blade is hooking the black rubber.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When it's stuck up, push the leaf blade away, if it snaps back, you know if the end of the blade is hooking the black rubber.

Ah you mean there might be something , lets just call it dirt, making the blade stick on the black rubber?

It seems like black tape put around metal. I could potentially also just unwind the tape and remove it, would that be a problem with short, metal og eos switch?

#8 4 years ago

Also, if its the case.... why is it not sticking when pushing the plunger into the coil manually? Ref the video i posted.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Ah you mean there might be something , lets just call it dirt, making the blade stick on the black rubber?

I'd call it EOS leaf blade isn't long enough and poking into the black rubber.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

why is it not sticking when pushing the plunger into the coil manually?

Because the coil pulls it in differently than your finger.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd call it EOS leaf blade isn't long enough and poking into the black rubber.

Aah i see. What would be the best way to fix it, if it is the case? May bending the angle abit, help?

I will check it closer, tomorrow

#12 4 years ago

The end of stroke blade should be longer it shouldn't be at the end like that. The black stuff is usually a piece of heat shrink tubing put on the pawl and heat shrunk down it's supposed to reduce wear on the end of stroke switch. Not strictly needed.

I hate those Bally cascaded switches with the plastic lifter, I use either custom built blades using parts from pinball resource or Williams' 03-7811 Hi voltage contact switches for everything flipper related (it helps that I bought a ton of those on clearance from someone for 50¢ each).

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The end of stroke blade should be longer it shouldn't be at the end like that. The black stuff is usually a piece of heat shrink tubing put on the pawl and heat shrunk down it's supposed to reduce wear on the end of stroke switch. Not strictly needed.
I hate those Bally cascaded switches with the plastic lifter, I use either custom built blades using parts from pinball resource or Williams' 03-7811 Hi voltage contact switches for everything flipper related (it helps that I bought a ton of those on clearance from someone for 50¢ each).

Djeez why are peoole selling too short leaf switches in rebuild kits for that machine... :/

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I use either custom built blades using parts

+1

By now I've purchased so many different switches, and always save the parts, it's a given to just make the proper switches.

Still a bummer when you try and buy something that should work but doesn't.

#15 4 years ago

So LTG was spot on, nice catch! The leaf somehow stuck into the rubber and got stuck. Quick fix: put a tape arounfmd the edge of switch, working perfectly

Thanks! marked as solved!

#16 4 years ago

Ain't it nice when it is something easy?
I had the exact same issue on one of my last two projects, just could not recall which one to find pictures.
Glad you got it sorted out!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Ain't it nice when it is something easy?
I had the exact same issue on one of my last two projects, just could not recall which one to find pictures.
Glad you got it sorted out!

Thanks, i was so close to selling the machine, its like having 99 problems and not wanting a simple rebuild to be part of those hehe.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wierd-sticky-flipper-after-rebuild-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.