New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274090)

Width of DE Backboxes?

By DakotaMike

89 days ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 89 days ago by DakotaMike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200729_152014 (resized).jpg

#1 89 days ago

Could anyone do me a favor and tell me what the width of late 80's / early 90's Data East backboxes is? I've read several different numbers online, and was hoping for a real-world reality check. I'm supposed to be picking up a Phantom of the Opera on Saturday, and need to figure out which doors I'm gonna have to take off to get it to my game room.

I've read 27.75 inches, but I wasn't sure if that was for later DE like JP and LAH, or if that also included 80's stuff like Time Machine and Phantom.

Thanks in advance!

#2 89 days ago

28" sounds about right , I am not at home right now or I could measure one for you. They are certainly wider than most other games , I had to remove doors to get them into my house as well.

#3 89 days ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Could anyone do me a favor and tell me what the width of late 80's / early 90's Data East backboxes is? I've read several different numbers online, and was hoping for a real-world reality check. I'm supposed to be picking up a Phantom of the Opera on Saturday, and need to figure out which doors I'm gonna have to take off to get it to my game room.
    I've read 27.75 inches, but I wasn't sure if that was for later DE like JP and LAH, or if that also included 80's stuff like Time Machine and Phantom.
    Thanks in advance!

30"-31" cab width for the early ones, 27" for the later I think but I'm working off memory. I'll check when I get off work.

#4 89 days ago

Robocop back box measures 30 1/4" from outside edge to outside edge.

Cab measures 52" long X 22" wide.

#5 89 days ago

Jurassic Park is 27.75”

#6 89 days ago

So my memory isn't too bad!

#7 89 days ago

I appreciate all the responses. It seems likely that Phantom's backbox is probably the same width as Robocop. I wonder when they switched over to narrow backboxes? Maybe when they brought in the DMDs?

#8 89 days ago

Rocky & Bullwinkle is 27.75”

#9 89 days ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

I appreciate all the responses. It seems likely that Phantom's backbox is probably the same width as Robocop. I wonder when they switched over to narrow backboxes? Maybe when they brought in the DMDs?

See attached, a touch under 30.5"

20200729_152014 (resized).jpg
    #10 89 days ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

See attached, a touch under 30.5"[quoted image]

Thanks very much. That's what I was afraid of! This means that I'll get to go in through my front door (which is the easiest route to my gameroom), but I'll have to disconnect the backbox hinges and rotate the head to get through one of my doorways. Hopefully that won't be too hard.

#11 89 days ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

but I'll have to disconnect the backbox hinges and rotate the head to get through one of my doorways. Hopefully that won't be too hard.

I'm sorry. There are so many cables in the back box that I dread the day I have to pull my Robocop back box.

#12 89 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm sorry. There are so many cables in the back box that I dread the day I have to pull my Robocop back box.

Well, I'm hoping to not have to actually take the head completely off, just a rotation and then re-attachment. It's what I had to do with my Black Knight, which also had a 30" backbox. But with BK, it wasn't hinged so that was one less step to do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 7.00
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 17.00
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Whitewater pinball mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 109.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 199.95
    Playfields
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 19.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside