IMG_20170221_224139773 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170128_164742402 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170128_164724187 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170128_164827299 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160319_153602304 (resized).jpg
15975269_10158165743610327_3938851731885052814_o (resized).jpg
DSC05686 (resized).JPG
20170124_205940 (resized).jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The bally widebodies all look great. But...
Embryon kinda sucks.
Paragon kinda sucks.
Future Spa kinda sucks.

Man, you are a ray of sunshine on this site.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Not seeing it. The quality of the source files for TZ don't change. I have heard that the DCS version exists, but not in the wild. Pity Williams did not get the DCS board done in time for TZ's release.

Pinsound has re-orchestrated files available.

#53 7 years ago

Just finished this Future Spa. Fantastic artwork. Gameplay is slow and sort of difficult. It looks nice and it's fun enough to play more than once. No MB though.

20170124_205940 (resized).jpg20170124_205940 (resized).jpg

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

So those of you familiar with Paragon and Embryon what do you think between those two?

Up until recently our local arcade had both on route, side by side. I was always partial to Embryon. I loved the art and game play. They just pulled it off the floor because it had a bunch of repeat issues popping up. I thought it was more engaging than Paragon which was a lot of stop and go due to the two kickouts at the top as well as the chicane lane which needs to do a 180 in order to travel.

Now that Paragon is by itself, I tried it a few weeks ago again. Thought it was ok. A lot going on, but still very stop and go. Then we played in league this week and the player who chose the game started talking about the objectives a bit more. I really started to enjoy it. Plus it has inline drops. I was able to save two balls out of the Lair and overall had some decent scores. Not a bad game at all and will be playing it again this weekend.

I'd personally still go Embryon, but Paragon is a very, very decent replacement.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Man, you are a ray of sunshine on this site.

I call 'em like I see 'em bro!

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I Appreciate all the responses. I'm going to have to do some research in ipdb and you tube. Believe it or not, I've never played TZ or IJ always wanted to, the games have somehow eluded me. I am still partial to the early as due to art. So those of you familiar with Paragon and Embryon what do you think between those two? And then put space invaders in the mix. Something about the infinity back last that I love.

Embryon plays and feels like nothing else on the planet and gets major kudos for its uniqueness and ballsiness (released in 1981 when widebodies were otherwise chronically out of fashion, in order to use up a backlog of parts and displays). Paragon however is by far the more instantly accessible of the two games to play.

Space Invaders is a triumph of style over substance that looks like far more than it actually offers. Good, but really dated. Much of the field is only indirectly accessible to the player, the spinner shot to the top of the field is abysmal, and the game as a whole is a piece of absolute piss to roll over on a good day with a fully-working machine - it actually plays better when it's NOT performing in peak condition.

#57 7 years ago

Has anybody on here played or got a Hot Doggin'?

#58 7 years ago

IJ all day for me. My first pinball machine that I bought
20 years ago and still enjoy it.

#59 7 years ago

The Bally widebodies are all fun machines imo. Not everyone appreciates the early ss games, but if you do, they are all fun. Embryon is the only Bally widebody with multi-ball. Williams Stellar Wars is a good machine too. Stern Big Game is excellent.

As for 90s widebodies, Road Show is fun and under-rated. Twilight Zone, IJ, and ST:TNG are some of the best of the era although maybe a bit higher-maintenance than some other machines.

#60 7 years ago

Heighway...buy a standard at 6k and then you can do a 5 min swap to a new game every time they release one for 4k. Full Throttle, Alien, and reportedly 2-3 more licenses in the works.

#61 7 years ago

Here's my vote-

DSC05686 (resized).JPGDSC05686 (resized).JPG

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Bang for the buck...Road Show
Best game...Indiana Jones

Totally agree and I've owned most of the Superpins

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The bally widebodies all look great. But...
Embryon kinda sucks. The rules make absolutely no sense (I played this game about 20 times at a tournament and still can't make heads or tails of it), there's a pointless and almost impossible to get 2-ball multiball, and it has more of everybody's least favorite feature - the captive ball - than almost any other game I can think of. Slow, ponderous machine and its best asset is the bizarre theme and artwork.
Paragon kinda sucks. It's huge for the sake of being huge, and like all Bally widebodies has a bunch of crap that you don't need. Why is there a twistee ball path on the right side? Why is there the "beast's lair?" Why are there two kickout holes? None of these things make the game any fun. They are there Cause you needed that stuff to make the game a widebody.
Space Invaders kinda sucks. It's a huge, slow machine with almost nothing to shoot at. Swing and a miss Bally. Cool artwork - they were sued (or at least bothered by) Alien artist Geiger so they gave him a machine or two. I think that was the settlement! Times were different back then for sure.
Future Spa kinda sucks. It's another widebody where the best thing about it - tap passing and the stand up drops - are part of a much better, non-widebody game Harlem Globetrotters. There are a like 5 outlanes (if you get the skill shot there are only 4!), and the game is way too wide to create a fun, fast controllable flow. The width of the game takes the power and flow out of the spinner shots and it's tough to get the ball back up top into the lanes. Again, great, weird artwork that will simply blow you mind. It's a total Logan's Run health club orgy.

I think it's just safe to say that you don't like older wide bodies. Any wide body is not going to play as fast as a standard, just the way it is. All of them when in good shape and setup hard can still play pretty fast though. I like Embryon because it has challenging things to accomplish and a very different layout. I love the unique double captive ball in the middle because its fun to pound (no pun intended, or is there.....) and it's extremely dangerous. I also love the flip save as it's unique and just fun to do. The multiball is an incredible challenge to get to. For tournament play the scoring is definitely a little wonky so I can see it as not being the best tourney game. Just to play at home its pretty darn fun though. I have a love hate relationship with Paragon. Love the art, love the difficulty, just don't get that same feeling of joy from it that I do from Fathom or Embryon though.

Different strokes for different folks.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Any wide body is not going to play as fast as a standard, just the way it is.

Full Throttle is lightning fast and flowing...but I agree in general. Hobbit seemed super floaty to me. STTNG a little less so. I haven't played IJ enough to say. TZ has a more closed in feel.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I think it's just safe to say that you don't like older wide bodies.

Not an understatement

but I think I pointed out my reasons it's not just a blind hatred.

#66 7 years ago

I'll have to agree most of the early SS wide body's are not the fasted game out there but like them for different reasons. I like to collect in threes. So far I have Williams Scorpion, Stellar Wars and Laser Ball. Ballys: Paragon and Space Invaders. Still need an Embryon.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Has anybody on here played or got a Hot Doggin'?

I've had mine about 1.5 years. Slowly rebuilding it while keeping it in decent playing condition. I personally love the thing. I owned a space invaders, but frankly it was incredibly boring to play. Essentially its a stretched out SBM. It definitely relied on the artwork. I've played paragon a bunch, but i'm not super crazy about it, even though it does have some really nice shots, it's simply not my cup of tea.

I haven't had a chance to play embryon or future spa so I can't compare. But honestly, hotdoggin is really fun. The game play is somewhat quick, and I think the shots are very well laid out. My biggest beef with the game though, is the bonus hold. You can't turn it off. For a half decent player, it's pretty easy to roll consistently. It would probably be a really good candidate for the 7 digit display conversion.

I actually got my LED order in today to finish off the conversion. With the blues and whites, the cool white led's really make the game pop.

15975269_10158165743610327_3938851731885052814_o (resized).jpg15975269_10158165743610327_3938851731885052814_o (resized).jpg

#68 7 years ago

Have I mentioned how great black hole is yet? BLACK HOLE!

IMG_20160319_153602304 (resized).jpgIMG_20160319_153602304 (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago

The Bally widebodies are classics more so in terms of the art than the gameplay. Embryon, Paragon and Future Spa being the best. Hot Doggin' was ok but definitely not on par artwise. Space Invader is cool looking but easy like its skinny bro Silverball Mania.

If you want fast and unique play out of a early SS, then you need a #Black Hole, Volcano, Devil's Dare or #Mars God of War. Each one plays and shoots differently, you didn't see the playfield layout rehashes with Gottlieb in this era.

#70 7 years ago

I'm always going to say TZ no matter what the question is. The issue with some of the BALLY wides is can they really hold your interest for years. For me games like Paragons are classics and I would love to own one. Embryon isn't bad but long term no thanks. Then you have games liek Space Invaders which are totally useless. Future spa...uff no thanks.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Have I mentioned how great black hole is yet? BLACK HOLE!

You should change your avatar

Best Bang for your buck SS - Black Hole. Best Bang DMD - JD

Money no object - Indiana Jone followed by STTNG (also a bargain) and then TZ (which I don't really care for). Hobbit is cool but too easy for ownership - IMHO.

#72 7 years ago

Thank you for all you reviews and views on the world of Widebody Pinball. I have enjoyed reading your options. I also want to thank fellow pinhead for offering to allow me to play your TZ. You guys are not all half bad....then again I don't know you all....lol

Thanks again

Lem

I still look forward to more input, just wanted to say thanks....

#73 7 years ago

Hercules.

LTG : )

#74 7 years ago

Like someone else said :

Bang for Buck- Roadshow
Tons of cash- TZ

RS is tons of fun, if you don't mind country music it a fun as hell game.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Like someone else said :
Bang for Buck- Roadshow
Tons of cash- TZ
RS is tons of fun, if you don't mind country music it a fun as hell game.

Rs is around 3k and u can get a decent tz for 2k more(5k).... tz to me is one of the better bang for buck pins if you consider all it has to offer and its the top ranked pin ever made overall....

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Rs is around 3k and u can get a decent tz for 2k more(5k).... tz to me is one of the better bang for buck pins if you consider all it has to offer and its the top ranked pin ever made overall....

You make a good point. I keep forgetting RS isn't a $2000 pin anymore, and TZ has settled into the low $5K price point for several years now.
RS is still a great game, with a space theme , or sci fi movie theme it would be top 25 game IMHO.
JP

#77 7 years ago

Gimme my fat girlfren Genie all day (and night). Pascal board, hot coils in flippers and pops, jacked way up in the back, fresh rubber, nice wax, generous tilt. MMMM... good lovin'.
And yer in under a grand.

#78 7 years ago

Wow. I don't understand the disdain for Space Invaders. It is a great competition game. Do you go for high risk-high points or try to build up the red invader super bonus and try to multiply it in the horseshoe without it sending it SDTM?

The pressure mounts--but wait! The siren! Pick off the mother ship target, quick! Oh rats, just missed it...and it rebounded all they over straight into the left outlane! Lost by 250 points!!

Yes, SI certainly has it's place. Sure, you can roll it every few games if you're good. But can you roll it when you're playing against someone?

#79 7 years ago

Space Invaders for sure!! Best backglass action of the era. Great game sounds and lots to shoot for.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The Eclectic Gamers Podcast just covered that this week!
https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/
Here is their list and poll: -- 2017 Modern Widebody Tournament-Round 1 Voting:
https://goo.gl/forms/Y87yxEbIuMD8riDA3
Love my TZ. Nobody mentioned STNG or GNR??

Round 2 voting is active, so widebody fans can go vote here: https://goo.gl/forms/UOjCljoy416jpANt2

I've got the bracket up in the podcast thread (I won't clutter things up here with it) where you can see the round 1 results. I'm not a big fan of widebodies in general (hence why we're running the tournament, figured I might as well see what people think are the good ones). I have a Superman that sort of fell into my ownership; it's okay if you like the older style of gameplay (it does make you play the entire table, which is nice). Only widebody I've owned.

Bang-for-buck I suppose Demolition Man is the one I've enjoyed the most. Some challenging shots and the multiball makes you play a lot of the table. No strong opinion on a pin without money being an object... perhaps Star Trek: The Next Generation.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

The Bally widebodies are all fun machines imo. Twilight Zone, IJ, and ST:TNG are some of the best of the era although maybe a bit higher-maintenance than some other machines.

I own all 3 and fully agree. But I also agree with some of the comments about Judge Dredd. Just helped a friend restore one and it's really a fun slightly less comparable game for a lot less $.

#83 7 years ago

Well I'm putting the widebody off for a little bit. I found the last of the ugly cabinet games to finish out my collection. Had to buy it. Super clean game, could not pass it up...

IMG_20170128_164827299 (resized).jpgIMG_20170128_164827299 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170128_164724187 (resized).jpgIMG_20170128_164724187 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170128_164742402 (resized).jpgIMG_20170128_164742402 (resized).jpg

#84 7 years ago

Love my old Hot Doggin wide body. Just got an awesome TZ. I know I love TZ the most and super happy to finally own one

#85 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Well I'm putting the widebody off for a little bit. I found the last of the ugly cabinet games to finish out my collection. Had to buy it. Super clean game, could not pass it up...

Show a picture of the trio when you get it set up...never seen Rapid Fire, EBDLE, and Centaur II lined up next to each other.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Show a picture of the trio when you get it set up...never seen Rapid Fire, EBDLE, and Centaur II lined up next to each other.

You need a Mr & Mrs Pacman in there too.........

#87 7 years ago

Twilight Zone or STTNG.
I have both and love em.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Dang...good call, forgot about that one.

#89 7 years ago

early ss 1. big game 2. flight 2000 both are cheap and when properly tuned fun as hell.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Will do, possibly this weekend, rapid fire needs some mechanical help.. Centaur is waiting for me to get off my butt for a playfield swap...

Quoted from dasvis:

I don't really consider that game part of the collection, the back box is separate from the cabinet. Same concept I guess...But not for me. These three are the same cabinet.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Round 2 voting is active, so widebody fans can go vote here: https://goo.gl/forms/UOjCljoy416jpANt2

Voted!

Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I found the last of the ugly cabinet games to finish out my collection.

Congrats. Please horde all those, so I'm never tempted by one.

4 weeks later
#92 7 years ago

Uglys lined up, now just need to get them all working. Working on boards now...Rapid Fire needs major mechanical help with the ball feed....Holy crap the engineering that went into this morphodite!!!

IMG_20170221_224139773 (resized).jpgIMG_20170221_224139773 (resized).jpg

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

Uglys lined up, now just need to get them all working. Working on boards now...Rapid Fire needs major mechanical help with the ball feed....Holy crap the engineering that went into this morphodite!!!

Lots of Mr & Mrs Pacmans out there for sale.... you need to fill in that last slot!

#94 7 years ago

The Gottlieb widebodies are also longer than normal games or the Bally widebodies. At least that's the case for Genie. I like Genie, good game with some of the best artwork in all of pinball. Sometimes you luck into a nice example for around $1000.

#95 7 years ago

I've come to the conclusion that I actually lean towards the widebodies.

1993 in particular was a very good year. I have IJ and STTNG Williams Super Pin's and would love to add (actually get back) JD.

Alien is also speaking to me big time.

3 months later
#96 6 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

thats a good call right there

#97 6 years ago

Best bang - Demo Man
Money no object - Demo Man

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Best bang - Demo Man
Money no object - Demo Man

are you out of your miiiiiiiind!

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

are you out of your miiiiiiiind!

Haha. This guy isn't cool enough to get a Big Game recommendation.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
25,000 (Firm)
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
$ 85.00
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 90.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
Unisex
$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/widebody-opinion/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.