IMG_20170221_224139773 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170128_164742402 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170128_164724187 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170128_164827299 (resized).jpg
IMG_20160319_153602304 (resized).jpg
15975269_10158165743610327_3938851731885052814_o (resized).jpg
DSC05686 (resized).JPG
20170124_205940 (resized).jpg

There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

So, I would like to add at least one Widebody to my collection to round it out. Would like opinions for two machines.... If you only had room for one more machine,and it had to be a Widebody. First... If money didn't matter and, second...best bang for the buck. I'm all over the board on my taste in machines, however I'm very partial to early ss.

#2 7 years ago

best bang Judge Dredd . money doesn't matter Twilight Zone

#4 7 years ago

Judge Dredd, star trek tng

#6 7 years ago

Go super wide and get a Genie.

#7 7 years ago

If your into early ss widebody machines I would say embryon or a black hole, maybe a paragon.

#8 7 years ago

No one escapes the Black hole!

#9 7 years ago

Indy! Best game.

#10 7 years ago

money not an option,

deep: Twilight Zone, Woz

semi deep: Indiana Jones (w/b), Judge Dread

#11 7 years ago

If you can find one, Gottlieb Time Line is an interesting game and isn't usually too expensive when it pops up. It has a mini flipper area like Genie does.

Some of the top widebody games: TZ, IJ, STTNG, Black Hole, JD, Spirit (if you can find one), WoZ...

The early Williams SS games aren't terribly exciting, but some people like them.

Here's a list:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=SS&specialty=14&sortby=date&searchtype=advanced

#12 7 years ago

Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, WoZ ... If you get a good condition one you can pretty much trade into any of the others.

#13 7 years ago

Black Hole over Haunted House?

#14 7 years ago

2 Greatest Wide Bodies: Twilight Zone & Wizard of Oz

... it terms of best bang for the the buck I don't think pinball ownership should have to rely on this too much since its such a luxury. Save for what you really want.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

... it terms of best bang for the the buck I don't think pinball ownership should have to rely on this too much since its such a luxury. Save for what you really want.

True, I just have not played too many. I do like woz a lot. I've played genie on the iPad. Slightly remember haunted house and space invaders growing up, have not spent too much time with black hole or paragon. I guess I would like a multi ball game.

#16 7 years ago

No love for TH?

#17 7 years ago

Bang for the buck...Road Show

Best game...Indiana Jones

#18 7 years ago

My vote's for Indy as well, followed by TZ.

#19 7 years ago

U can get a nice tz for not much over 5k...which imo is great bang for buck considering all that it offers and great code....

#20 7 years ago

Batman Forever for budget.

WOZ for no cost option.

Problem with TZ is the crap sound quality (pre dcs). Ruleset is too similar to other 90's b/w. WOZ is a different beast altogether though I am not a fan of the theme.

#21 7 years ago

OP being partial to early SS, I think Paragon is a great choice.

#22 7 years ago

I'd recommend Demolition Man, you get the wide body, combos, 4 multi balls, demolition time, 5 modes and more plus a pretty decent musical score & more. Also Hobbit and WOZ, and maybe TZ would be my top 4 in no particular order.

#23 7 years ago

Money no object: WOZ or Hobbit
Bang for buck: Easily RS

#24 7 years ago

Embryon

#25 7 years ago

I just traded my JD for a Roadshow and I like both titles. JD is more fun in my opinion, but Roadshow has some really cool features as well. I think I would go with JD over Roadshow. It would last longer in a small collection.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

They're both challenging games, but the space theme definitely wins me over.

Quoted from Bugsy:

No love for TH?

The playfield artwork looks great, but the gameplay doesn't do much for me.

Quoted from dung:

Problem with TZ is the crap sound quality (pre dcs).

I've been wanting to find someone with a TZ that has a Pinsound board installed. That should improve things drastically.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

If you only had room for one more machine,and it had to be a Widebody.

The Eclectic Gamers Podcast just covered that this week!

https://eclecticgamerspodcast.wordpress.com/

Here is their list and poll: -- 2017 Modern Widebody Tournament-Round 1 Voting:

https://goo.gl/forms/Y87yxEbIuMD8riDA3

Love my TZ. Nobody mentioned STNG or GNR??

#28 7 years ago

Order Alien Le. Best looking WBbgame in a long time!!! A newer game option would be WOZ and for an older game STNG.

#29 7 years ago

Gottlieb Circus and Star Race are the two widest widebody system80.

#30 7 years ago

STTNG
-Mike

#31 7 years ago

A bunch of great B/W mentioned. My favorite is IJ followed by TZ and STTNG.

A great early SS is Big Game. Lots of drops and plays fast. Nice ruleset that has some strategy to maximize bonus.

#32 7 years ago
#33 7 years ago

IJ, WOZ, and although I hate it (and I know I'm in the minority), TZ.

#34 7 years ago

Since you like early SS games...Paragon, followed by Embryon.

#35 7 years ago

Bang for the buck: Stellar Wars or Laser Ball

Money is no object: Spirit

#36 7 years ago

TZ, maybe STTNG. IJ would be ok too

#37 7 years ago

If I could have 1, I would choose IJ or STTNG.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

They're both challenging games, but the space theme definitely wins me over.

The playfield artwork looks great, but the gameplay doesn't do much for me.

I've been wanting to find someone with a TZ that has a Pinsound board installed. That should improve things drastically.

Not seeing it. The quality of the source files for TZ don't change. I have heard that the DCS version exists, but not in the wild. Pity Williams did not get the DCS board done in time for TZ's release.

#39 7 years ago

If you are getting 2 of them go for IJ for the best theme integration then get an older ss. I like Embryon the best but Paragon would do nicely also.

#41 7 years ago

Future Spa or Embryon if you can't afford a Paragon. I'd love to say either Hot Doggin' or Laser Ball, but I've never played either.

#42 7 years ago

most of the old school widebodies are terrible. They are games that would have been good if they weren't widebodies, and just have a bunch of extra crap slapped on them to fill the games out. I'm looking at Paragon with it's "beasts lair," twisty path thingee on the right, and not one but TWO holes up top, and Future Spa with its 5 outlanes. I'll just take a Harlem Globetrotter, thank you.

The newer ones, this isn't as pronounced as they aren't as wide and generally the designers found better uses for the extra space. Bang for Buck would be STTNG (if you can keep it working), and Demo Man which is a tad on the easy side with strong flippers but still a fun game. Most people loathe Popeye (for good reason), so you might want to avoid that one even though it's cheap. Dredd seems to be a love it or hate it game. I'm not a fan personally as it's another crummy Trudeau game that really didn't need to be a widebody.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

most of the old school widebodies are terrible. They are games that would have been good if they weren't widebodies, and just have a bunch of extra crap slapped on them to fill the games out. I'm looking at Paragon with it's "beasts lair," twisty path thingee on the right, and not one but TWO holes up top, and Future Spa with its 5 outlanes. I'll just take a Harlem Globetrotter, thank you.

Owing a HG myself, there is fast and flowing no-nonsense score-attack purity to Harlem Globetrotters, but Paragon has more things to do, so I wouldn't mind having it as well.

One of the beauties of Future Spa for me is that the design space is much better used than it first appears, and the bumpers and rubbers are set up that the ball is given every opportunity to constantly explore every square inch of it, which keeps the game interesting to play. Modern games tend to be woefully lacking in rubber placement and cross-playfield ball action, which is something I wanted to address for CAH/Full Throttle. With four flippers, Dennis Nordman had that part of Alien sown up before I ever got to it.

#45 7 years ago

I personally really like these four 1 WOZ, 2 JUDGE DREDD, 3 TWILIGHT ZONE, 4 Batman Forever.

#46 7 years ago

I Appreciate all the responses. I'm going to have to do some research in ipdb and you tube. Believe it or not, I've never played TZ or IJ always wanted to, the games have somehow eluded me. I am still partial to the early as due to art. So those of you familiar with Paragon and Embryon what do you think between those two? And then put space invaders in the mix. Something about the infinity back last that I love.

#47 7 years ago

I'll have to check out future spa aswell.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I Appreciate all the responses. I'm going to have to do some research in ipdb and you tube. Believe it or not, I've never played TZ or IJ always wanted to, the games have somehow eluded me. I am still partial to the early as due to art. So those of you familiar with Paragon and Embryon what do you think between those two? And then put space invaders in the mix. Something about the infinity back last that I love.

The bally widebodies all look great. But...

Embryon kinda sucks. The rules make absolutely no sense (I played this game about 20 times at a tournament and still can't make heads or tails of it), there's a pointless and almost impossible to get 2-ball multiball, and it has more of everybody's least favorite feature - the captive ball - than almost any other game I can think of. Slow, ponderous machine and its best asset is the bizarre theme and artwork.

Paragon kinda sucks. It's huge for the sake of being huge, and like all Bally widebodies has a bunch of crap that you don't need. Why is there a twistee ball path on the right side? Why is there the "beast's lair?" Why are there two kickout holes? None of these things make the game any fun. They are there Cause you needed that stuff to make the game a widebody.

Space Invaders kinda sucks. It's a huge, slow machine with almost nothing to shoot at. Swing and a miss Bally. Cool artwork - they were sued (or at least bothered by) Alien artist Geiger so they gave him a machine or two. I think that was the settlement! Times were different back then for sure.

Future Spa kinda sucks. It's another widebody where the best thing about it - tap passing and the stand up drops - are part of a much better, non-widebody game Harlem Globetrotters. There are a like 5 outlanes (if you get the skill shot there are only 4!), and the game is way too wide to create a fun, fast controllable flow. The width of the game takes the power and flow out of the spinner shots and it's tough to get the ball back up top into the lanes. Again, great, weird artwork that will simply blow you mind. It's a total Logan's Run health club orgy.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

never.

#50 7 years ago

Black hole plays much better than Haunted House. I love Haunted House, and I want one really bad but its more just for my own nostalgia. Black Hole is miles ahead the better playing game. I think with the right setup its the better looking game too. Basically what I'm saying, if you want a wide body and you like early SS then Black Hole is the game to get. Its awesome!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/widebody-opinion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.