Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by crlush
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2107.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

So this happened last night. I am about 45 minutes north of San Diego. I am looking to pick up locally.

ThanksIMG_2107.JPGIMG_2107.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Ouch...better on the floor than in the pin....GL

#3 10 years ago

Yeh I am surprised it happened. I was sliding it down to my foot and it just shattered in my hands. I guess I caught the corner on the ground but I don't know how.

#4 10 years ago

Setting a piece of tempered glass on cement if it is cold can cause it to shatter. I was taught as a young tech to always set the glass on cardboard or a rug or something. I found you can source widebody glass pretty reasonably from a local glass shop. I just bought a new piece for my roadshow and it was 44/bucks out the door.

#5 10 years ago

If you know other collectors in your area, you can usually get a discount on multiple pieces from a glass place. I get a discount for orders over 5 pieces. Helping others and saving some money is a good thing.

#6 10 years ago

Ask for "no bug" at the glass shop so they don't etch "Tempered by Herculite" or something in the corner.

Never set any glass on cement, the smallest imperfection in the concrete or uneven tempering of the glass will create a glass pile.

Carpet, wood strips, garden or air hose all make good landing spots.

#7 10 years ago

It happens sometimes, glass just explode. Natural causes.

(Can anyone guess what movie I'm referencing the altered quote above from)?

That aside, when I was putting a SWEP1 on test, I took the glass out and was holding it in my hand and going to set it on top of my shoes when BAM, it just exploded and all I was left with was a mess and some small pieces of glass in my hands. Of course this happened at the arcade farthest away from our office on a Friday night during rush hour. I didn't nick the glass or bump it anywhere, it just exploded. One week later I went back to the same arcade to update the game code and the exact same thing happened when I pulled out the backglass! I swear that location was haunted.

Never set tempered glass on concrete or tile floors. carpet only or put something down on the floor to rest it on like a piece of carpet, cardboard, or a mat or something.

#8 10 years ago

Repo Man is my guess on the movie quote. I am still a newbie with owning pinball machines so I am learning things the hard way or sometimes expensive way. Thanks for the tips!

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from TateCenter:

Repo Man is my guess on the movie quote. I am still a newbie with owning pinball machines so I am learning things the hard way or sometimes expensive way. Thanks for the tips!

You are correct sir!

#10 10 years ago

I would call Terry at Pinball life. $49 for a sheet and like 25 to ship. 2 for 79 I think same shipping.

Easier than trying to find local. I always buy 2 sheets and think I do not need another but just last week I found a sheet in my garage and used it happily.

#11 10 years ago

I have a piece of wide body glass from my TZ you can have it, but I'm in Burbank. Might be willing to meet you half way on the 5 somewhere.

Kevin

EDIT: Holding the glass for TateCenter to pickup next week.

#12 10 years ago

Wow I threw 2 sheets of glass in the dumpster trying to get them to shatter and nothing happened.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wide-body-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.