(Topic ID: 262689)

Why you should wait for JJP's Guns N' Roses ...

By Tuna_Delight

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 675 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cybevenom
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor (1).gif
    Screenshot_20201002-100820_Facebook~2 (resized).jpg
    sad (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200930-132026_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    annie (resized).jpg
    amp (resized).JPG
    IMG_3544 (resized).jpg
    7F19C9E7-374A-4FFF-976E-A2DF2AC2CD7B (resized).jpeg
    jesus_laughable (resized).jpg
    105629183_665743294152996_1060035225578073660_n (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    1968-Datsun-Pickup-fr (resized).jpg
    58B9F240-3D74-4A18-9BA0-1539B0A79160 (resized).jpeg
    3DE401D4-443D-48F3-B70C-A3F5E1738C9F (resized).jpeg
    03454C95-B218-485F-97DB-9B33975BF1AA (resized).jpeg
    AB64BAAE-331E-43BF-8B0C-F0EEB2311000 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Calfdemon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#353 3 years ago

Not that this has anything to do with the current generation, but Guns and Roses was NOT bigger than Metallica back in their heyday. In 1993, they co-headlined a tour which has it's own stories of disaster. But I personally went to see them on this tour at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. During that tour, the bands would flip-flop position every night as to who would play first. But they would both play a 90 minute set.

On this particular night, G&R had the last spot. So Motorhead was opening with a 45 minute set (awesome as always), and then Metallica came on and KILLED it for 90 minutes. This is after James burned his hand badly in a previous show, so he only sang and the Helloween guitarist played as a fill in musician. Guns and Roses went on after Metallica and I kid you not, at least a third of the Rose Bowl left the show in the first 3 songs. My friends and I made it maybe 5 songs in before we walked out as well. The Rose Bowl holds somewhere around 100,000 people for a concert. When 30k - 40k people walk out of a concert, that tells you something.

Guns and Roses just could not follow Metallica. After the amount of energy that Motorhead, and then Metallica pumped into the crowd, it was all lost as soon as G&R hit the stage. Now, I love Slash and loved G&R back then as well, but those 2 bands are no where near the same caliber live and G&R should never have shared a stage with Metallica. Metallica made them look and sound second rate.

All that being said, I am looking forward to seeing what JJP does with the G&R pin. I would play it and probably love it, but due to a lack of space, will never own it as I won't give up any of my current pins for it. That goes for most other pins as well. If I had the room, there are probably 20 must-have pins for me that I would love to own. But my small space for pins limits me luckily... lol. Otherwise I would be broke!

#361 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I personally went to the show at Phoenix International Raceway, first show back after Hetfield burned his hand, and Metallica was just that, a warmup band. Playing almost the entirety of the black album, where just a few years earlier that didn't exist.
    GnR came on about midnight or shortly thereafter, and were in top form and played almost until the sun came up. Halfway thru Slash went off on a jam playing Zep and Hendrix and just killed it. And Axl's voice was as good as ever.
    Sorry your experience wasn't the same.

Yeah, just a flip-flop experience. Different nights, different concerts I suppose. I am not saying that GnR were bad the night I saw them, but they just did not bring the energy or maintain any of the energy that Motorhead and Metallica provided. Like any bands, they have good nights and bad nights. The night I went, Metallica was superb and GnR were okay. Sounds like the night you went, it was the other way around. This was the only time I ever went and saw GnR and wished for many years after that I had not walked out and missed out on the experience of seeing them live (other than the 5 songs I heard).

I wish I had gone to see them the night before at the Coliseum in LA, as that night, GnR played before Metallica. I am pretty sure I would have stayed for the entire concert that night and enjoyed every bit of it.

#389 3 years ago

The true dream rock pinball machine would be Black Sabbath. Why it hasn't been done is a mystery. It must be a licensing issue. I think an Ozzy era Black Sabbath pin would be a dream. I would also love to see a Dio pin, but with RJD's death, that will probably never happen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Calfdemon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-you-should-wait-for-jjp-s-guns-n-roses-?tu=Calfdemon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.