(Topic ID: 262689)

Why you should wait for JJP's Guns N' Roses ...

By Tuna_Delight

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 675 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cybevenom
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor (1).gif
    Screenshot_20201002-100820_Facebook~2 (resized).jpg
    sad (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200930-132026_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    annie (resized).jpg
    amp (resized).JPG
    IMG_3544 (resized).jpg
    7F19C9E7-374A-4FFF-976E-A2DF2AC2CD7B (resized).jpeg
    jesus_laughable (resized).jpg
    105629183_665743294152996_1060035225578073660_n (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    1968-Datsun-Pickup-fr (resized).jpg
    58B9F240-3D74-4A18-9BA0-1539B0A79160 (resized).jpeg
    3DE401D4-443D-48F3-B70C-A3F5E1738C9F (resized).jpeg
    03454C95-B218-485F-97DB-9B33975BF1AA (resized).jpeg
    AB64BAAE-331E-43BF-8B0C-F0EEB2311000 (resized).jpeg
    There are 675 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
    #351 3 years ago
    Quoted from Novastorm:

I for one wouldn't be interested in a music pin if it hardly plays a bands songs.

I would if it was a band I didn't give a shit aboot hearing, like Maiden, Met, Aerosmith, Elvis, Beatles etc etc etc

I agree if like to see how JJP does it diff'rent.

#352 3 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

I think Guns 'n Roses is 'bigger' than Metallica, Aerosmith or Iron Maiden.
    Sometimes I see a teenager here walk with a Guns 'n Roses T-shirt, or Bob Marley, or Nirvana. If I'm not mistaken that almost never happens with one of the other bands that have been used as a recent pinball-theme (or maybe I just don't notice those t-shirts ).

LOL those teens are not wearing tees of bands they actually listen to they are wearing whats in

#353 3 years ago

Not that this has anything to do with the current generation, but Guns and Roses was NOT bigger than Metallica back in their heyday. In 1993, they co-headlined a tour which has it's own stories of disaster. But I personally went to see them on this tour at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. During that tour, the bands would flip-flop position every night as to who would play first. But they would both play a 90 minute set.

On this particular night, G&R had the last spot. So Motorhead was opening with a 45 minute set (awesome as always), and then Metallica came on and KILLED it for 90 minutes. This is after James burned his hand badly in a previous show, so he only sang and the Helloween guitarist played as a fill in musician. Guns and Roses went on after Metallica and I kid you not, at least a third of the Rose Bowl left the show in the first 3 songs. My friends and I made it maybe 5 songs in before we walked out as well. The Rose Bowl holds somewhere around 100,000 people for a concert. When 30k - 40k people walk out of a concert, that tells you something.

Guns and Roses just could not follow Metallica. After the amount of energy that Motorhead, and then Metallica pumped into the crowd, it was all lost as soon as G&R hit the stage. Now, I love Slash and loved G&R back then as well, but those 2 bands are no where near the same caliber live and G&R should never have shared a stage with Metallica. Metallica made them look and sound second rate.

All that being said, I am looking forward to seeing what JJP does with the G&R pin. I would play it and probably love it, but due to a lack of space, will never own it as I won't give up any of my current pins for it. That goes for most other pins as well. If I had the room, there are probably 20 must-have pins for me that I would love to own. But my small space for pins limits me luckily... lol. Otherwise I would be broke!

#354 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBubbles:

I always wonder if the folks that try to bash PoTC have ever put real time on it, with it setup correctly, preferably in a home environment. I am no fan boy of any company... but it's really hard to legitimately argue this game isn't exceptional. Nothing says that each game they do doesn't have its own pricing model either. If they make an insane game like PoTC... then charge appropriately for it. If they make a more mainstream game like Wonka... then charge appropriately for that. Supply and demand will take care of the rest.

Exactly

#355 3 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

If I'm not mistaken that almost never happens with one of the other bands that have been used as a recent pinball-theme (or maybe I just don't notice those t-shirts ).

I have never once seen a Cycling Jersey from any of them but Iron Maiden. And I have seen dozens of those on the roads...

I sell LPs. A TON of LPs.

GnR LPs don't sell nearly as fast as Maiden, Metallica or Nirvana LPs. And they don't sell to younger buyers when they do.

Officially (From around 2015 or so, Total Record Sales) :

Maiden 100+ Mil
    Metallica 60+ Mil
    GnR 50+ Mil

#356 3 years ago

Wikipedia puts Maiden at 100 mio., Metallica at 120 mio. and Guns n Roses at 30 mio. I had no idea Iron Maiden had sold so many albums.

#357 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Metallica 60+ Mil

In the US only

But anyone really interesting can do a Pinside search and come up with 10,000 posts on how big IM is in South America and how cool Bruce is for flying a plane etc I thoguht thsi pretty much ran it's course but there's always someone to pick up the flag.

#358 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

In the US only

And, Maiden is bigger than all of them outside the US. Just the way it is. Part of that is also that Maiden has roughly 3x the LPs and a carreer that is a decade longer...

Still. If I am taking a percentage of their total revenues, I pick Maiden every time.

#359 3 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Not that this has anything to do with the current generation, but Guns and Roses was NOT bigger than Metallica back in their heyday. In 1993, they co-headlined a tour which has it's own stories of disaster. But I personally went to see them on this tour at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. During that tour, the bands would flip-flop position every night as to who would play first. But they would both play a 90 minute set.

On this particular night, G&R had the last spot. So Motorhead was opening with a 45 minute set (awesome as always), and then Metallica came on and KILLED it for 90 minutes. This is after James burned his hand badly in a previous show, so he only sang and the Helloween guitarist played as a fill in musician. Guns and Roses went on after Metallica and I kid you not, at least a third of the Rose Bowl left the show in the first 3 songs. My friends and I made it maybe 5 songs in before we walked out as well. The Rose Bowl holds somewhere around 100,000 people for a concert. When 30k - 40k people walk out of a concert, that tells you something.

Guns and Roses just could not follow Metallica.

I personally went to the show at Phoenix International Raceway, first show back after Hetfield burned his hand, and Metallica was just that, a warmup band. Playing almost the entirety of the black album, where just a few years earlier that didn't exist.

GnR came on about midnight or shortly thereafter, and were in top form and played almost until the sun came up. Halfway thru Slash went off on a jam playing Zep and Hendrix and just killed it. And Axl's voice was as good as ever.

Sorry your experience wasn't the same.

#360 3 years ago
    Quoted from branlon8:

Wikipedia puts Maiden at 100 mio., Metallica at 120 mio. and Guns n Roses at 30 mio. I had no idea Iron Maiden had sold so many albums.

But in Gnrs defence they really only had 3 big albums, vs maiden 15/16, what 7/8 for metallica? OK they had a few more than 3 but only 3 really moved the needle, but if they released another album now sales are not what they were (for may reasons hence the 3 years tour instead of 1 year studio 2 years tour) so I doubt they would even make a dent in catching up the others but as a proper cult band Gnr are for sure equal to IM and Met. And GnR should never follow Met at a gig! Bad style to follow in your face thrash metal, hair glam rock n roll, bad booking, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall that tour, ego central!

#361 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I personally went to the show at Phoenix International Raceway, first show back after Hetfield burned his hand, and Metallica was just that, a warmup band. Playing almost the entirety of the black album, where just a few years earlier that didn't exist.
    GnR came on about midnight or shortly thereafter, and were in top form and played almost until the sun came up. Halfway thru Slash went off on a jam playing Zep and Hendrix and just killed it. And Axl's voice was as good as ever.

Yeah, just a flip-flop experience. Different nights, different concerts I suppose. I am not saying that GnR were bad the night I saw them, but they just did not bring the energy or maintain any of the energy that Motorhead and Metallica provided. Like any bands, they have good nights and bad nights. The night I went, Metallica was superb and GnR were okay. Sounds like the night you went, it was the other way around. This was the only time I ever went and saw GnR and wished for many years after that I had not walked out and missed out on the experience of seeing them live (other than the 5 songs I heard).

I wish I had gone to see them the night before at the Coliseum in LA, as that night, GnR played before Metallica. I am pretty sure I would have stayed for the entire concert that night and enjoyed every bit of it.

#362 3 years ago

I’d put AC/DC Metallica and gnr on the top rung of all time bands. Aerosmith is a high second tier imo. Maiden is an aquired taste with a cult following kinda like the rocky horror picture show.

#363 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL those teens are not wearing tees of bands they actually listen to they are wearing whats in

So true. A lot of kids don't even know it's a band at all. They just think it's a cool shirt.

#364 3 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Yeah, just a flip-flop experience. Different nights, different concerts I suppose.

Yes, being the first night back made it special. And the high humidity is probably what helped Axl's voice sound so good. I heard the Rose Bowl show was not as good.

#365 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I went to the Foxboro, MA show on this tour. Faith No more was the opener. Total dream lineup for me, huge fan of all 3 bands. GnR headlined that night. People were getting pissy when they went on a little late, throwing drinks and food from the upper levels. I don't recall anyone leaving though, and the show was great. I'm so glad they didn't pull that make people wait shit on the last tour.

#366 3 years ago

The only issue with the Phoenix show is they were in monsoon season and had a huge storm days before the concert and it wiped out the main road in. So the back road was a two lane highway that was jammed for miles. Took hours to get in. Several people drowned trying to shortcut it swimming across storm channels. We missed Faith No More but Metallica just started as we pulled in the parking lot.

When the sun came up and it came time to leave, I couldn't take it anymore, so I threw my keys to my buddy, and he navigated like crazy and got us out of there in a hurry.

https://gnrcentral.com/2019/08/26/27-years-ago-guns-n-roses-metallica-play-their-first-show-following-the-axl-rose-incited-montreal-riot/

#367 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Slash went off on a jam playing Zep and Hendrix

Lol what the hell does that tell you

#368 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I’d put AC/DC Metallica and gnr on the top rung of all time bands. Aerosmith is a high second tier imo.

Shocking but true...
    Best selling artists off all time has AC/DC at #10, Metallica at 18th, GnR at 30th and Aereosmith at 13th.

The thing I want to know is where the hell are my Pink Floyd #9 and Led Zeppelin #4 Pinball Machines at?

Hell I would even take a Pink Floyd 'The Wall' Pinball machine with a black and white translite containing nothing more that the cover from original album! It was perfect, and needed nothing else! It would have to have UV lights and artwork...but that goes without saying.

#369 3 years ago

Pink Floyd for sure!

#370 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Lol what the hell does that tell you

Rock stars sometimes respect their influences? They had an extra hour to kill? Hendrix often played songs or rifs from other artists in concert as well.

I don't know, you tell me? Here is the complete (I believe) setlist if that will help.

Out Ta Get Me

Mr. Brownstone

It's So Easy

Attitude
    (Misfits cover)

Live and Let Die
    (Wings cover)

Bad Obsession

Double Talkin' Jive

Civil War

Patience
    (with The Beatles "Lucy in the… more )

Welcome to the Jungle

Matt Sorum Drum Solo

You Could Be Mine

Slash Guitar Solo

Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)
    (Nino Rota cover) (Godfather Theme)

November Rain

Sweet Child O' Mine
    (with The One (Intro))

Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    (Bob Dylan cover) (with intro of Only Women Bleed)

Paradise City

#371 3 years ago

Would love a JJP GNR machine, but the price will dictate the decision (the $AUD ain’t doing well on the exchange).

#372 3 years ago

And I totally respect GnR for taking the stage when they did. If you think a concert should be all about your schedule, and start at a certain time like a ballgame, then either you are too old, or should just stay home and listen to the records.

#373 3 years ago

And sometimes the Gunners don't always respect their influences. I don't believe the band has ever credited Australian Crawl for the rather obvious links between 1981's Unpublished Critics and 1987's Sweet Child O' Mine

That said, the Gunners concert I saw in Sydney a few years ago was incredible. And I'm very interested in what JJP has to offer

Quoted from o-din:

Rock stars sometimes respect their influences? They had an extra hour to kill? Hendrix often played songs or rifs from other artists in concert as well.
    I don't know, you tell me? Here is the complete (I believe) setlist if that will help.
    Out Ta Get Me
    Mr. Brownstone
    It's So Easy
    Attitude
    (Misfits cover)
    Live and Let Die
    (Wings cover)
    Bad Obsession
    Double Talkin' Jive
    Civil War
    Patience
    (with The Beatles "Lucy in the… more )
    Welcome to the Jungle
    Matt Sorum Drum Solo
    You Could Be Mine
    Slash Guitar Solo
    Speak Softly Love (Love Theme From The Godfather)
    (Nino Rota cover) (Godfather Theme)
    November Rain
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    (with The One (Intro))
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    (Bob Dylan cover) (with intro of Only Women Bleed)
    Paradise City

#374 3 years ago
    Quoted from sven:

I think Guns 'n Roses is 'bigger' than Metallica, Aerosmith or Iron Maiden.
    Sometimes I see a teenager here walk with a Guns 'n Roses T-shirt, or Bob Marley, or Nirvana. If I'm not mistaken that almost never happens with one of the other bands that have been used as a recent pinball-theme (or maybe I just don't notice those t-shirts ).

Get off my lawn!

#375 3 years ago

The list of bands GnR has covered is enormous. Took me by surprise when I saw The Undertones on there. A little known post punk band with an amazing first two albums I owned at one time.

Still no mention of The BoxTops "The Letter" which might have been one of those songs within another song during that '87 show. When they do these covers live, it just adds to the fun.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/covers/guns-n-roses-7bd69e24.html

#376 3 years ago

I was/am a big fan of Aerosmith, especially the older stuff from their first few albums. Heard of GNR, as Appetite was moving up the charts, and liked Paradise City, and Welcome to the Jungle. I was fortunate enough to see GNR open for Aerosmith. July 17th, 1988 - Guns N' Roses first show opening for Aerosmith in the summer of 1988. The first show is at the Poplar Creek Music Theater in Hoffman Estates, IL. That night GNR killed it, and Aerosmith was a bit of a letdown. They were a bit rusty, but GNR was in full form. I became a real GNR fan. Love Slash's guitar playing, and know JJP and Eric are going to knock this one out of the park.

#377 3 years ago

My main issue with the choice of gnr by jjp is that I find they are love it or hate it music. Acdc, Aerosmith and even Metallica are generally tolerated by most. Maiden, while not as radio friendly, is more even keeled than gnr. I have an equal number of buddies that love gnr and hate them, with few in the middle. Axel is like Lane Staley. You either love his style or hate it to death. I'm open minded to pretty much anything except Kianu Reeves and gnr.

#378 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

have an equal number of buddies that love gnr and hate them, with few in the middle.

But do you have any friends that listen to Iron Maiden? That would make one of us, and it's still a great game

#379 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

But do you have any friends that listen to Iron Maiden?

I used to. Like 30 years ago. Hell, I can still dig the Di' Anno days.

But it would take some serious drugs or brain damage to listen to any of it now.

#380 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I used to. Like 30 years ago. Hell, I can still dig the Di' Anno days.
    But it would take some serious drugs or brain damage to listen to any of it now.

So you are saying that you do not have brain damage? Is this correct?

#381 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

And sometimes the Gunners don't always respect their influences. I don't believe the band has ever credited Australian Crawl for the rather obvious links between 1981's Unpublished Critics and 1987's Sweet Child O' Mine

That said, the Gunners concert I saw in Sydney a few years ago was incredible. And I'm very interested in what JJP has to offer

Worth a challenge in court that one.
    If 100 odd yr old song owners can claim a
    Portion of royalties over a men at work song, seems fair here

#382 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The list of bands GnR has covered is enormous. Took me by surprise when I saw The Undertones on there. A little known post punk band with an amazing first two albums I owned at one time.
    Still no mention of The BoxTops "The Letter" which might have been one of those songs within another song during that '87 show. When they do these covers live, it just adds to the fun.
    https://www.setlist.fm/stats/covers/guns-n-roses-7bd69e24.html

I still regularly rock out to The Undertones. Teenage Kicks is an iconic tune.

IMG-0243 (resized).jpgIMG-0243 (resized).jpg
    #383 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

So you are saying that you do not have brain damage? Is this correct?

There is some I'm sure, but not enough to make want to listen to that. It would be like going back in time to a place that now sucks.

Quoted from beergut666:

I still regularly rock out to The Undertones. Teenage Kicks is an iconic tune.

Haven't heard it for years, but that doesn't suck.

I'm guessing GnR listened to same undergound station I did in the late 70s and early 80s that played them all the time. Shows they have varied and unique tastes looking at all the bands they did cover. I didn't see IM on the list. But I did see The Damned and The Dead Boys.

#384 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I must have raised my kids correctly as they do not give a shit about whats in. Must be why my 17 year old has a party in the pinball shed every bloody week with about 20 kids over. For the record those kids favorite pinball is Metallica and Maiden. In my Lineup before the corona virus i had, Metallica, Maiden LE, Elvira LE, Aerosmith, Wh20, Freddy, Addams, Munsters LE, BSD Drac. So those 2 music pins get the most play although Elvira starting to get some love.

#385 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Lucky you i seen GNR around the same time and they sucked. Skid Row really killed it that night. I seen Metallica around the same time and they killed it playing Hendrix. So its just what mood they were in at the time. But recently GNR was like WOW!

#386 3 years ago
    Quoted from noob-a-tron:

So its just what mood they were in at the time.

Two weeks rest for Axl's throat can do wonders.

Been thinking about the recent music pinball machines, and GnR is the only one that didn't make me want to turn it off or walk away, or sell it quick because of the music. Their music seems to be a little more timeless.

#387 3 years ago

In lack of jjp Meat the thread have develope into a great rockband thread.
    How lovely and The big guys have been mentioned.

I never really got into Maiden, at the time it was a bit chaotic to me, and I went with Def leppard instead.

Before that it was sweet and kiss if memory serves me right.

#388 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

POTC should be the exact thing that JJP avoids in the future.
    Mechanical nightmare. Several years' production cycle. Features removed because they don't work, wasting tons of R&D money, time, and enraging the Pinside masses.
    JJP needs to stay in business to keep you yobs happy, and that's gonna happen if they ever go the POTC route again.

Mechanical nightmare? Mine was pretty flawless.... pretty standard adjustments that need to be done on all games....they will be lucky if they make another game on par with POTC....bring it on

#389 3 years ago

The true dream rock pinball machine would be Black Sabbath. Why it hasn't been done is a mystery. It must be a licensing issue. I think an Ozzy era Black Sabbath pin would be a dream. I would also love to see a Dio pin, but with RJD's death, that will probably never happen.

#390 3 years ago

I agree, but I have a feeling that both bands are on the same label (or parent label). James Reyne often complains about this but says his hands are tied

Quoted from peely:

Worth a challenge in court that one.
    If 100 odd yr old song owners can claim a
    Portion of royalties over a men at work song, seems fair here

#391 3 years ago

Let’s be honest here. Guns and Roses was a short lived explosion of popularity. They became so popular because they had a few undeniably catchy and classic songs. They also had a good look with a lead singer that looked middle America and a cartoon like lead guitarist. They were a perfect package with the songs to back it up. It fell apart pretty quickly. Metallica is in it for the long haul. They never had a great singer. They never had really great songs. They are a good band with a good name and artwork and they managed not to die. That being said I love my Metallica LE.

#392 3 years ago

They should do a 90s-00s pin called crossovers with these four would blow any music pin outta the water !!!!

03454C95-B218-485F-97DB-9B33975BF1AA (resized).jpeg03454C95-B218-485F-97DB-9B33975BF1AA (resized).jpeg3DE401D4-443D-48F3-B70C-A3F5E1738C9F (resized).jpeg3DE401D4-443D-48F3-B70C-A3F5E1738C9F (resized).jpeg58B9F240-3D74-4A18-9BA0-1539B0A79160 (resized).jpeg58B9F240-3D74-4A18-9BA0-1539B0A79160 (resized).jpegAB64BAAE-331E-43BF-8B0C-F0EEB2311000 (resized).jpegAB64BAAE-331E-43BF-8B0C-F0EEB2311000 (resized).jpeg
    #393 3 years ago

Song list would be a pinheads dream!!!

#394 3 years ago

From a sight out of the US, I think GNR, ACDC, Queen’s, RS are the bands that get the most fans, the most popular in the world.

Personally, i’m not sensitive of Met and IM music’s, I even can say I can’t stand it lol.

#395 3 years ago
    Quoted from Calfdemon:

Guns and Roses just could not follow Metallica. After the amount of energy that Motorhead, and then Metallica pumped into the crowd, it was all lost as soon as G&R hit the stage. Now, I love Slash and loved G&R back then as well, but those 2 bands are no where near the same caliber live and G&R should never have shared a stage with Metallica. Metallica made them look and sound second rate.
    All that being said, I am looking forward to seeing what JJP does with the G&R pin. I would play it and probably love it, but due to a lack of space, will never own it as I won't give up any of my current pins for it. That goes for most other pins as well. If I had the room, there are probably 20 must-have pins for me that I would love to own. But my small space for pins limits me luckily... lol. Otherwise I would be broke!

I know Motörhead is not really overall as popular to mass majority and I don’t expect a pin to be made (But Lemmy did what one as mentioned in past interviews) and I do too love Motorhead over Metallica and GNR. Yes I like all three bands but Motorhead first, then GNR, then Metallica and Maiden and AC/DC and Scorpions before GNR and Metallica. I like all of these bands and love it when others like only 2 or 3 of them and say they don’t like a Maiden is hilarious, don’t get it as it’s not like KORN which is pure shit.

#396 3 years ago

What I would like is a generic rock theme machine where you could load your own music.

#397 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I live out here in AZ now but lived back in CA when this tour happened and heard that story from others, cool. On the past 2 GNR tours the band played well over 25 plus songs (Sure should have played less covers) and close to almost 3hrs. Have not seen Metallica or Iron Maiden come close to this on any tour so respect GNR for this and wish more bands gave us or money’s worth if you know what I mean. Waiting for the day for IM to play 2 sets before they call it a day but will never happen which is a shame.

#398 3 years ago

I am in on a CE Model for sure.

#399 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I live out here in AZ now but lived back in CA when this tour happened and heard that story from others, cool.

We drove from here to 100+ degree Arizona in one like this. We called it "The Craft"

1968-Datsun-Pickup-fr (resized).jpg1968-Datsun-Pickup-fr (resized).jpg
    #400 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Two weeks rest for Axl's throat can do wonders.
    Been thinking about the recent music pinball machines, and GnR is the only one that didn't make me want to turn it off or walk away, or sell it quick because of the music. Their music seems to be a little more timeless.

The whole band sucked that night not just Axl.

There are 675 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-you-should-wait-for-jjp-s-guns-n-roses-/page/8?hl=calfdemon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.