(Topic ID: 262689)

Why you should wait for JJP's Guns N' Roses ...

By Tuna_Delight

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 675 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cybevenom
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor (1).gif
    Screenshot_20201002-100820_Facebook~2 (resized).jpg
    sad (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200930-132026_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    annie (resized).jpg
    amp (resized).JPG
    IMG_3544 (resized).jpg
    7F19C9E7-374A-4FFF-976E-A2DF2AC2CD7B (resized).jpeg
    jesus_laughable (resized).jpg
    105629183_665743294152996_1060035225578073660_n (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    1968-Datsun-Pickup-fr (resized).jpg
    58B9F240-3D74-4A18-9BA0-1539B0A79160 (resized).jpeg
    3DE401D4-443D-48F3-B70C-A3F5E1738C9F (resized).jpeg
    03454C95-B218-485F-97DB-9B33975BF1AA (resized).jpeg
    AB64BAAE-331E-43BF-8B0C-F0EEB2311000 (resized).jpeg

There are 675 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
    #101 3 years ago

Hell, even Chinese Democracy had one or two decent songs

#102 3 years ago

The more songs the better! I'm looking forward to how Eric, Keith and company incorporate these into the gameplay!

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Poison is the worst successful band in the history of rock.

and Slash was almost a member...

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

... GnR is looking miles better to me than it was a few weeks ago. Just on theme alone. In fact just about any theme would. Even The Brady Bunch.

Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

JJP's GnR can look like ass and that will still be an easy decision for me.
    Due to theme alone, TMNT is one less game on my already sizeable wishlist. Thank you Stern!

Not as easy for this guy. One of my top all-time childhood franchises, and still is vs my favorite band made by my favorite pinball company. Trying to figure out how to get both. I definitely prefer jjp most of the time, but stern does have a few strong themes with tmnt, sw, and jp. Can’t wait to see gnr, and I know I’m going to want it.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

One of my top all-time childhood franchises

Tooter Turtle was one of mine, but at past 50 years old and into adult things for the last almost 40, doesn't mean I really want a pinball machine themed after him now.
    fictional-locations-mr-wizard-tooter-spell-2 (resized).jpgfictional-locations-mr-wizard-tooter-spell-2 (resized).jpg

#107 3 years ago
    Quoted from Edster:

and Slash was almost a member...

Yeah I heard him say that one. But apparently he had the “wrong look.”

They put some of those hair metal bands together like the spice girls.

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I heard him say that one. But apparently he had the “wrong look.”
    They put some of those hair metal bands together like the spice girls.

According to his book, they wanted him but they used to shout out their names, I'm Rickey, I'm Brett and I'm Slash just didn't sound right so he passed. Can you just imagine Slash in Poison. Oh the horror!!

#109 3 years ago

This talk about GnR is bringing back the memory of Use your Illusion 1&2. I was in college and a few of us from the dorm went and stood in line for the midnight release. It was a great time. My kids will never experience the midnight releases or the Tuesday trips to Blockbuster for the chance to rent new releases.

#110 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

This talk about GnR is bringing back the memory of Use your Illusion 1&2. I was in college and a few of us from the dorm went and stood in line for the midnight release. It was a great time. My kids will never experience the midnight releases or the Tuesday trips to Blockbuster for the chance to rent new releases.

Yea I remember grabbing both CD's the day they came out. The thrill we had then is gone today. It's like the day I saw the Love Gun album at the record store and never knew it was even coming out. Couldn't get it on the turntable fast enough.

#111 3 years ago

I remember when they came out. I was 13 and only had enough money to buy one of them. I begged my mom to loan me money so I could buy both. She wouldn’t, so I went with Use your Illusion 2 and ended up getting Use your illusion 1 at a later date.

#112 3 years ago

I bought Appetite before they had the chance to change the album cover. They were already getting played on a local station. On vinyl and I still have that copy.

It was originally a painting from 1978 called "Appetite For Destruction".

#113 3 years ago

While we are on the subject of GnR vinyl, I posted this on the vinyl club awhile ago. I think it's every major release, including what I believe to be an original Live Like a Suicide which is oddly not even close to the most valuable.

gnr (resized).jpggnr (resized).jpg
    #114 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That’s bad news considering GNR only
    Has [checks Appetite album cover] 12 good songs.
    Ok 13. Forgot about You Could Be Mine.

I really like uyi II you could be mine and estranged are two great songs.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

While we are on the subject of GnR vinyl, I posted this on the vinyl club awhile ago. I think it's every major release, including what I believe to be an original Live Like a Suicide which is oddly not even close to the most valuable.
    [quoted image]

I think it’s good they changed the AFD cover. The original is kind of silly at best, and the one they went with is absolutely iconic.

That weird painting being inside worked out fine.

#116 3 years ago

I believe the follow up cover came as a sticker inside the album with the original cover as I remember sticking it on the back of my truck at the time.

They only changed it because many distributors refused to sell it and I imagine they wanted to make money.

#117 3 years ago

Sorry "not sorry" to say the DE GNR was a clunkfest and the stolen/borrowed sounds from LAH just ruined it. I know that statement is going to rack up a few negative points but seriously it wasn't really that good of a machine, it was the only GNR pin which die hard fans loved because of it. So with that being said, choosing an ICONIC hard rock band is a brilliant move. Reviving is usually a bad idea but this is just a win win for JJP. Now now I''m not a JJP suck dick. Honestly I think anything past the first 3 machines has been less than fun/inspiring. We don't need to talk about clear coat issues or anything else that plagued them, I'm talking just plain fun factor. I'm also not a HUGE GNR fan, but likes/dislikes aside the notoriety of the band and of course if JJP holds true to the skulls and big boobed cartoon character women (and hopefully axels get in the ring mother f-er rant) this pin could gain GOAT status. GNR and Skidrow were the bad boys of Rock N Roll so to see anything PC to satisfy the "Everything offends me" types then I will truly be disappointed. I won't be buying but I highly suspect this pin is being heavily relied upon to keep that joint afloat. COVID has hurt EVERYTHING and when a company runs on investors ... well, do the math. Looking forward to playing it though!

#118 3 years ago

Just remembered after just having played my Hobbit and POTC: ... hoping GnR is a widebody!

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Sorry "not sorry" to say the DE GNR was a clunkfest and the stolen/borrowed sounds from LAH just ruined it. I know that statement is going to rack up a few negative points but seriously it wasn't really that good of a machine, it was the only GNR pin which die hard fans loved because of it. So with that being said, choosing an ICONIC hard rock band is a brilliant move. Reviving is usually a bad idea but this is just a win win for JJP. Now now I''m not a JJP suck dick. Honestly I think anything past the first 3 machines has been less than fun/inspiring. We don't need to talk about clear coat issues or anything else that plagued them, I'm talking just plain fun factor. I'm also not a HUGE GNR fan, but likes/dislikes aside the notoriety of the band and of course if JJP holds true to the skulls and big boobed cartoon character women (and hopefully axels get in the ring mother f-er rant) this pin could gain GOAT status. GNR and Skidrow were the bad boys of Rock N Roll so to see anything PC to satisfy the "Everything offends me" types then I will truly be disappointed. I won't be buying but I highly suspect this pin is being heavily relied upon to keep that joint afloat. COVID has hurt EVERYTHING and when a company runs on investors ... well, do the math. Looking forward to playing it though!

I would agree with you the DE version isn't very good and the sound is horrific. JJP should be able to improve on this game tenfold.

#120 3 years ago

Just remembered after just having played my Hobbit and POTC: ... hoping GnR is a widebody!

I hear ya, but I would prefer a faster machine - so standard is what I would go with. It will be packed like all the JJPs are anyway

Look and sound being amazing are a given ...

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would agree with you the DE version isn't very good and the sound is horrific. JJP should be able to improve on this game tenfold.

I disagree. This is a decent game and the sound is good for its era. It's more fun to play than most games of its day and those that came before it. And more fun than many that came later. That being said, this game is from three decades ago; technology, generally, has improved significantly. Look back at the cell phones used when the DE version was released -many came in bags. Of course the sound on the 2020 version should be much better.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Well, this will be very interesting if true. Kaneda reports the new JJP GnR pin will have 22 songs.

What would everyone’s 22 song list look like? Here’s what I would hope for:

1. Welcome to the jungle
    2. Paradise City
    3. Sweet Child O Mine
    4. Rocket Queen
    5. Night train
    6. It’s so easy
    7. My Michelle
    8. Live and let die
    9. Double Talkin Jive
    10. November Rain
    11. Dead Horse
    12. Coma
    13. Right Next Door to Hell
    14. Civil War
    15. Shotgun Blues
    16. Breakdown
    17. Estranged
    18. You Could Be Mine
    19. Chinese Democracy
    20. Shacklers Revenge
    21. Rian N’ the Bedouins
    22. Madagascar

#123 3 years ago

Kaneda said standard

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from riggy469:

Live and let die

Has any cover song ever made it onto a music pinball machine yet? I'm not sure Sir Paul wouldn't want a little piece of the action. Or is it public domain now?

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Has any cover song ever made it onto a music pinball machine yet?

All of Tommy?

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

I'm excited for it, but not for Jack's pricing tiers. I'm a "wait for a used premium" guy, and I think I might be waiting a LONG time for one of these to pop up secondary. But it will.

To buy in secondary market you need some guys buy nib games!

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Kaneda said standard

Damn

#128 3 years ago

I feel that a standard will be fine. They've made more wide than standard and this evens the playing field... no pun intended. I'm excited to see what Eric has in store.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Has any cover song ever made it onto a music pinball machine yet? I'm not sure Sir Paul wouldn't want a little piece of the action. Or is it public domain now?

Party zone has a few.

Pretty much every data East game has a ZZ Top song as does HS2. Throw a CC music factory song into the mix for some reason.

I don’t know who is singing I can’t drive 55 on nascar but it’s not Sammy Hagar.

Etc etc.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

All of Tommy?

Good one! Could have been a contender otherwise eh?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t know who is singing I can’t drive 55 on nascar but it’s not Sammy Hagar.

I didn't realize that. Did he do the song on Twister?

But I guess my question was on band specific games, have they ever used a cover?

#131 3 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Kaneda said standard

Ummmm I dont recall him confirming.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Good one! Could have been a contender otherwise eh?

I didn't realize that. Did he do the song on Twister?
    But I guess my question was on band specific games, have they ever used a cover?

I can’t come up with one. But I also can’t think of any of the bands with modern pinballs have has a hit with cover, and live and let die was a hit for gnr. I guess Metallica could have used that Bob Seger song they did.

Unless you include KISS, in which every song was a re-recording of kiss covering themselves.

The upcoming Heavy Metal pin is gonna feature Sabastian Bach doing a bunch of covers as well.

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess Metallica could have used that Bob Seger song they did.

Or Am I Evil? It wasn't on the game that I remember. That is one that came to mind. They actually did quite a few covers that became pretty popular. Thin Lizzy, Budgie, The Misfits, Blitzkrieg, but again, I don't think any made it on the game.

It's just something I've pondered a bit before.

And one more. Did Train Kept a Rollin' make it on Aerosmith? That was one of the biggest hits they had.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Poison is the worst successful band in the history of rock.

Nope , that would be KISS .

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Nope , that would be KISS .

Can’t agree. kiss at least has some
    Decent tunes, a great guitarist, and also inspired a generation of kids to rock.

Poison inspired some idiots to wear hair spray but that’s about it.

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can’t come up with one. But I also can’t think of any of the bands with modern pinballs have has a hit with cover, and live and let die was a hit for gnr. I guess Metallica could have used that Bob Seger song they did

Metallica's done plenty of great covers. Garage Days Re-Revisited and Garage Inc for the lists.

I swapped in a Blitzkrieg/Stone Cold Forever mashup into my game... a local buddy swapped in Am I Evil. Releasing the games with these covers would be trickier though, more licensing.

#137 3 years ago

If GnR is as fun to play as Stern's KISS, I am in!

Think the sound on this game might be best ever - although maybe you ned to be a GnR fan to fully appreciate, which I ain't.

#138 3 years ago

I kinda wonder if we get the original recordings, or if we get some kind of lame re-recording done to screw former band mates / record label.

I’d guess it’s 50/50. More
    Like 90/10 if someone can confirm to me GNR has already done re-recording for guitar hero or something like that.

#139 3 years ago

What do you expect to see in this game? Which toy? What kind of game if standard size? Shorter ball time or a long journey?

#140 3 years ago

Going to be awesome and that guitar topper where the strings Light up during modes, is just super great.

#141 3 years ago

Wishlist:
    Standard body
    Less unreliable gimmicks
    Great layout and rules
    less spreadsheet journeys
    No mash buttons
    Shorter ball times.
    Original appetite GNR
    More Jack Daniels, skeletons and hookers
    Less animated Axl cartoons

Basically capture the energy of the debut.
    (One could hope.)

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from bgwilly31:

Ummmm I dont recall him confirming.

He did on Facebook live.

#143 3 years ago

Guns N Roses will probably be JJP second biggest seller of all time behind WOZ for many reasons.

GNR has a massive fan base just like ACDC and Metallica. Music pins go beyond pinball and reach out to the fans of those bands.

This game will be promoted without a doubt by the band and the members on social media. In other words their fans WILL KNOW!

Also I think with any music pin you either like the band or you don't so the game could be incredible but if you don't love the music then you're probably not a buyer. If you love GNR you probably already have money in hand. Personally I think its going to be an amazing game, and finally we get to see what JJP can do with music theme.

THIS I CAN PROMISE... GNR will be the first pinball game in PINBALL HISTORY to feature the band playing. In other words showing the real band playing songs. Every music pin to this point has never had a full color screen so you see animation... on Kiss you see dot matrix images of the band but its not the same.

This game is going to be on many levels GROUND BREAKING for music pins.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I feel that a standard will be fine. They've made more wide than standard and this evens the playing field... no pun intended. I'm excited to see what Eric has in store.

Standard is the word from now on. No more widebody

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

Every music pin to this point has never had a full color screen so you see animation...

Aerosmith says “hello.”

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If GnR is as fun to play as Stern's KISS . . .

I hope it’s better than Kiss . . . a LOT better

#147 3 years ago

I do hope they have some real video clips in it, but the Aerosmith style video is cool too. I’d love to see a little of both styles honestly.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Standard is the word from now on. No more widebody

Yup, to keep BOM and cost down it will be a long time before we see a widebody again.
    Except just maybe, the Stern JAWS machine could be widebody.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What do you expect to see in this game? Which toy?

Some syringe targets, a bank, a rehab center, and a KFC.

And of course some topless groupies, hopefully done by a better artist than the first one.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

What do you expect to see in this game? Which toy?

I like the rocking ship on Pirates, so maybe a rocking upper playfield known as going back stage, and it is a bed rocking. The targets would be drugs, booze, and groupies. The stickers you could use on the flippers could set it over the top.

There are 675 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-you-should-wait-for-jjp-s-guns-n-roses-/page/3?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.