(Topic ID: 262689)

Why you should wait for JJP's Guns N' Roses ...

By Tuna_Delight

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 675 posts
  • 169 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by cybevenom
  • Topic is favorited by 29 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor (1).gif
    Screenshot_20201002-100820_Facebook~2 (resized).jpg
    sad (resized).png
    Screenshot_20200930-132026_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    annie (resized).jpg
    amp (resized).JPG
    IMG_3544 (resized).jpg
    7F19C9E7-374A-4FFF-976E-A2DF2AC2CD7B (resized).jpeg
    jesus_laughable (resized).jpg
    105629183_665743294152996_1060035225578073660_n (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpeg
    1968-Datsun-Pickup-fr (resized).jpg
    58B9F240-3D74-4A18-9BA0-1539B0A79160 (resized).jpeg
    3DE401D4-443D-48F3-B70C-A3F5E1738C9F (resized).jpeg
    03454C95-B218-485F-97DB-9B33975BF1AA (resized).jpeg
    AB64BAAE-331E-43BF-8B0C-F0EEB2311000 (resized).jpeg
    There are 675 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.
    #451 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Lol TZ is easy as pie compared to any JJP game

Rule set is pretty easy compared to any new game....JJP or Stern ....

#452 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Rule set is pretty easy compared to any new game....JJP or Stern ....

I agree.

TZ LOOKS extremely complicated with all of the playfield features, but it's not really any different rule wise than it's contemporaries; i.e. shoot "x" to qualify "y", shoot "z" (or maybe "x") to start "y".

That said, I happen to favor the "simple complexity" of rulesets from the 90's games; there were still achievable "stacks" and the ability to have multiple modes running in a lot of games, and it felt like you "achieved" something when you did it (either being rewarded with a neat animation, a sound, a lightshow, etc.). New games certainly do this as well, but somehow, maybe on a Pavlovian level, the older games just seem to do it better, at least for me, anyways. The technological limitations of the time forced some brilliant rules writing to stay within the confines of the hardware, and it shows. There were certainly quirks and bugs, and to me, this just adds to the overall charm of the 90's DMD era.

I guess as the focus shifts more and more to the collector market, we'll see the further extreme (and in my humble opinion, often unnecessary) complication and ultra deepening of rules to increase the longevity of machines in the home market. But I guess that's how you add "value" to a game, in today's cost-savings-above-all-else ethos.

I also guess this is just a sign that I'm getting old. GNR rocks, and I'm excited to play it!

#453 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

[quoted image]
    Where did he say anything about it being more or equally as difficult as JJP game?

Exactly.

#454 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Lol TZ is easy as pie compared to any JJP game

I can’t help it if you suck at pinball.

#455 3 years ago
    Quoted from Novastorm:

You can start comparing stuff at any point, if there was a rule stating you can only start comparisons when someone else has compared something first, no one would ever be allowed to compare anything?

Wow that's brilliant, thank you. WTF r u talking about? I'm well aware that u can make a comparison anytime but when u quote someone then make a ridiculous retort that has no bearing on the subject at hand it no longer becomes a spontaneous comparison. The man agreed with me that TZ can be intimidating to the casual player and it can be so what does the difficulty of a JJP game have to do with that? Other than being a crazy person making a random comparison.

#456 3 years ago
    Quoted from Forum-ninja:

When are we getting news about GNR? I heard the news was supposed to be today?!

JJP likely will 'officially' reveal it on their podcast, which is every Friday.
    https://jjppodcast.libsyn.com/

#457 3 years ago

In my experience, pretty much every pin made after 1990 is too complicated for the casual player. It's amazing to me that even with enhanced sound, better displays, and better tech games are move difficult to understand today than ever.

If TZ was such a disaster, how did B/W sell more than 15,000 of them? I don't think there is a 90's game that sold more besides TAF. All pinball has a lot of maintenance and other games had more than usual maintenance (thinking STTNG and IJ). At one time you could find any of the great classics cheap since nobody wanted them.

#458 3 years ago
    Quoted from HomerEBW:

Just listened to all 3 or rather 2 podcasts. Nice straight to the point. If they could get it closer to an hour that would work .

#459 3 years ago

Don’t mind podcasts, but if thats is the way they plan to reveal games they have bigger issues than body types.

#460 3 years ago
    Quoted from HomerEBW:

How does one reveal pictures of a game on an audio only podcast? I don't even see them announcing when the game will be revealed.

#461 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

How does one reveal pictures of a game on an audio only podcast?

That could actually be kind of cool - somebody describes in minute detail from left to right what’s on the playfield, approximately how far up it is on the playfield, if it’s wide or tight and what’s happening to the ball when you hit it, etc. It would allow us to focus on the playfield without being distracted by artwork, display, etc. Then one could move into the rules, what you’re trying to achieve, how you do it, etc.

I find the way reveals are done now puts too much emphasis on art and colors and not enough on the thoughts behind the layout and rule structures.

Pretty much all new games incorporate concepts already on older games. The evolution is slow and rules also kind of keep repeating themselves so a pinhead doesn’t have to see the game to imagine it.

#462 3 years ago

How does one reveal pictures of a game on an audio only podcast? I don't even see them announcing when the game will be revealed.

One possibility ..... reveal the game on the podcast and tell the listeners "go to JJP site now as it's been updated with pictures of the game".

1 week later
    #463 3 years ago

Come on JJP, some teaser for the 4th of July!

#464 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

If TZ was such a disaster, how did B/W sell more than 15,000 of them?

We had arcades with in excess of 100 pinball machines in the 90s. Many of which sat mostly unplayed. I would put a random game on both it and Addams, but neither was exciting enough to want to stand there and play them all day or put more than fifty cents in them at a time when there were so many others that more fit my style.

At that time, 15,000 was just a normal number of games B/W would produce when attached to a popular license as they were everywhere. It's like asking how did they sell 15,000 T-2s when so many lower play nice examples still exist today.

In an environment where there were only one or two machines and those were them, you either played one of them or found a place with more variety. I remember one pizza joint that had an Addams and a GnR as their only games, and I hardly ever touched Addams.

#465 3 years ago

The opportunity is slipping away. Turtles is shipping. By the time GNR is shown, Stern will be showing the next title.

#466 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

The opportunity is slipping away. Turtles is shipping. By the time GNR is shown, Stern will be showing the next title.

Barring a theme that is a must have for older pinheads, I honestly don't think that that will be an issue.

#467 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Barring a theme that is a must have for older pinheads, I honestly don't think that that will be an issue.

Like Led Zeppelin? i'd be willing to bet we'll see at least three more titles come out before GnR ships their first 50 games.

#468 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Like Led Zeppelin? i'd be willing to bet we'll see at least three more titles come out before GnR ships their first 50 games.

I wouldn't take that bet....JJP is always way behind to curve when it comes to production.

#469 3 years ago

I’ve held off on tmnt and jp waiting for gnr. Can not wait !!!!

#470 3 years ago

We've come a long way since comparing GnR as a theme to T-2 and Twilight Zone.

#471 3 years ago

I'd love to add a JJP to my game room. Im ready for some teaser photos.

#472 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chuckwebster:

A Stern Led Zeppelin would be cool, and I'd already love to buy a Beatles for that matter, but a JJP GnR designed by Eric Meunier intrigues me more right now.

#473 3 years ago

I hope nobody ever makes a Led Zeppelin pin. No pin could ever do them justice.

#474 3 years ago
    Quoted from sonambulo:

Come on JJP, some teaser for the 4th of July!

I think they have the day off.

1 month later
    #475 3 years ago

No news...?

#476 3 years ago

No damnit can't you just show a part of the playfield or part of a super cool mech?

#477 3 years ago

I was waiting, then I bought a new car. Dealerships have some crazy deals right now. Maybe next time JJP.

#478 3 years ago
    Quoted from HomerEBW:

I was waiting, then I bought a new car. Dealerships have some crazy deals right now. Maybe next time JJP.

I know the feeling. Been waiting for a new pin to buy and decided to buy a new television instead.

#479 3 years ago

Yeap I just spent 8k on a new driveway and windows for my house. O well. There goes the JJP pinball $.

#480 3 years ago

Plenty of money being printed

#481 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Plenty of money being printed

And we all know what happens next!

#482 3 years ago

You should wait because it’s awesome.

#483 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Is this what they call sarcasm?

#484 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Is this what they call sarcasm?

He has not seen or played it. When it comes out next year, we will all play it.

#485 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

Welcome back to Pinside. Are you still working with JJP?

#486 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

I would bet your money that it will be out by Expo timeframe.

#487 3 years ago

This wait is driving me crazy!

#488 3 years ago

I think Pinchroma is Kaneda gone for 4 yr Kaneda is gone Pinchroma is back

#489 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I think Pinchroma is Kaneda ...

def not.

#490 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I would bet your money that it will be out by Expo timeframe.

So in 2 months you think we will be able to see and buy?

#491 3 years ago

I believe GnR will be revealed before the end of October. That’s my guess.

#492 3 years ago

Welcome back to Pinside. Are you still working with JJP?

Yup and thank you.

#493 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

I believe GnR will be revealed before the end of October. That’s my guess.

So do you think when the reveal it they will be available to purchase?

#494 3 years ago

No. Definitely not. Please don’t lump me in with him

#495 3 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I think Pinchroma is Kaneda gone for 4 yr Kaneda is gone Pinchroma is back

One has nothing to do with the other. I can assure you with 100% certainty I am not Kaneda and find him detestable.

#496 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

So do you think when the reveal it they will be available to purchase?

I believe so. If memory serves me correctly they start selling and shipping very soon afterwards. I am waiting on it and the next CGC remake to make my next purchasing decisions.

#497 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

4.5 months to go. It will be sad if it is not this year. Christmas Time for sure.

#498 3 years ago
    Quoted from LukyDuck:

If memory serves me correctly they start selling and shipping very soon

You must have bought a Yellow Woz cause other than that I remember differently...

#499 3 years ago
    Quoted from Charliew65:

You must have bought a Yellow Woz cause other than that I remember differently...

I wouldn’t worry too much about JJP pins,just buy another Stern with a shit playfield!

#500 3 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I wouldn’t worry too much about JJP pins,just buy another Stern with a shit playfield!

yea....ok
    may not be what I have right now but I love JJP if you can even remember what I was saying, I ordered most of these games day one and never got them quickly after ordering.

7F19C9E7-374A-4FFF-976E-A2DF2AC2CD7B (resized).jpeg7F19C9E7-374A-4FFF-976E-A2DF2AC2CD7B (resized).jpeg

There are 675 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-you-should-wait-for-jjp-s-guns-n-roses-/page/10?hl=willsmuz8999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.