2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by fordtudoor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Collapsable Spray Booth 1 (resized).jpg
    Collapsable Spay Booth 2 (resized).jpg
    booth4 (resized).JPG
    booth3 (resized).JPG
    booth2 (resized).JPG
    booth1 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5504 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5501 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

So last night I painted my first cabinet using a HPLV setup. Things didn't exactly go to plan.

This is not my first rodeo with a spray gun. I have been using an airbrush for year. I've done lots of scale models using water based acrylic and oil based paints. Typically I run my airbrush at around 20 psi and overspray is never really a problem.

I thought I had planned out my first HVLP adventure pretty well. My shop has a 10 foot wide sliding door that leads to the back yard. I figured I could open that door to vent the shop, and only have to cover up the work bench nearest the door, and the wall on the opposite side of the door. To create an outward breeze, I put a fan into one of my windows in the shop blowing inwards. To protect the floor, I put plastic down under my spray area.

Well things didn't turn out like I'd hoped. Instead of the fan creating an outward breeze, it created more of a swirling. The HVLP gun put out a lot of paint, and that created a bit of a problem for my shop floor. Lucky for my, the floor was not pretty to begin with, but now there is a definite line where my drop cloth was. Moral of the story: Buid a paint booth! I wish I had.

BTW, the cabinet came our alright. I only had a run in one place.

IMG_5501 (resized).JPG

IMG_5504 (resized).JPG

#2 2 years ago

Your going to need a stiff broom, and possibly a mixture of water and TSP, to get that overspray off the floor. Scrub the solution in a small area first, to see if it will lift the paint off. Then wipe up, or wet vacuum up the slurry. Not sure of your set up, but spreading solvents on a floor can lead to hazardous fumes, which can enter your home or fumes being ignited by a flame source.

Knew a guy that painted his Mustang in his garage. Everything in the garage ended up with a fine layer of red overspray. Shovels, lawnmower, car parts, tool box, posters, books... etc. The paint job looked fine, the garage interior, not so much.

#3 2 years ago

I have a jurassic park ramp that someone got spray paint all over. They had made a plastic, but decided they wanted it to be green, another plastic was to be black. So they painted the plastics while installed in the machine. So now black flecks are over a decent number of components.

#4 2 years ago

Whoa yeah...thanks for the info. These are the exact shannigins I find myself getting into.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Your going to need a stiff broom, and possibly a mixture of water and TSP, to get that overspray off the floor. Scrub the solution in a small area first, to see if it will lift the paint off. Then wipe up, or wet vacuum up the slurry.

My shop is separate from the house, so if I wanted to spend a fortune cleaning up the floor, I could use solvent. What is TSP? and where do you get it?
    Thanks,
    --Alan

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

What is TSP? and where do you get it?

Tri-Sodium Phosphate, most hardware stores or paint sellers should have some for sale. It is a powder (or can be premixed), that when mixed into water can be used for cleaning paint brushes. Especially useful in cleaning walls before painting, or used to clean a surface after a solvent has been spread on that surface.

Again, not sure if the TSP will work, but it is not too expensive and your floor will be clean, but possibly still have some purple.

#7 2 years ago

Tsp is a mild etcher as well. We use it to clean and prepare floors for concrete sealers and light foot traffic floor coatings. It is a good cleaner and will lift a lot of lightly adhered overspray. Was the material sprayed latex or a solvent borne product? Latex with tsp mix led with hot water and a stiff bristled broom should lift of latex no sweat.

#8 2 years ago

Unfortunately the paint was single stage automotive paint. I imagine it may take lacquer thinner to get it up.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I imagine it may take lacquer thinner to get it up.

Yes, lacquer thinner will need to be used. You could use a lower grade lacquer thinner, some companies call it 'Gun Wash'.

#10 2 years ago

why not just spray outside?

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

The rest of the world takes a bit more care than Cincinnati.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

If you like dust and possibly bugs embedded in your paint job, have at it

#13 2 years ago

Why not just shoot some overspray over the clean area and call it a day...

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Why not just shoot some overspray over the clean area and call it a day...

a proven method lol...

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

If you like dust and possibly bugs embedded in your paint job, have at it

He had a fan in the window blowing inwards...
    Besides, most finishes flash off in 5 - 10 minutes.
    No reason for a non professional to create an unnecessary mess for himself.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The rest of the world takes a bit more care than Cincinnati.

I have my own custom cabinet and furniture shop. Been in business 25 yes. I probably know how to take care with what I do. Maybe even moreso than you.
    This was a first timer who had a preventable bad experience. I would hope he tries again, and maybe that helps.
    Also, in an enclosed room, using an hvlp gun, the fine atomization of paint in the air dries before falling on the wet paint applied, resulting in a sandpaper feeling.
    finish.
    Just trying to help. Good luck, op.

#17 2 years ago

I found out the hard way like you you need an external paint booth. I also found out ...the hard expensive way that not making it properly also costs more.

So eventually I made this. I erect it every time I need to spray a cabinet or play field.

Here is a pinside link. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-a-collapsible-pvc-paint-booth#post-3634101

Collapsable Spay Booth 2 (resized).jpg

Collapsable Spray Booth 1 (resized).jpg

#18 2 years ago

I learned my lesson a long time ago. I spray painted an item at the end of the driveway, almost into the street. I couldn't believe that the overspray carried into the garage and landed on the wife's car. That's when I decided to build a paint booth. It is 7 feet by 8 feet by 8 feet tall. The floor, roof, and sides are 6-mil clear plastic over 2x4 frames. It is portable as all the studs are bolted together. It is better to have ventilation that is induced draft as opposed to forced draft. I have double 3M Filtrete filters limiting the dust being sucked in and boxer fans/ductwork in the ceiling that vent the fumes outside the house. I found from experience it is better to have the flow of air across the back wall of the booth as opposed to have it flow over the article you are spraying. Indy cabinet turned out perfectly with no dust whatsoever in the paint finish.

booth1 (resized).JPG

booth2 (resized).JPG

booth3 (resized).JPG

booth4 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 45.00
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside