(Topic ID: 42886)

Why Would Owners NOT Buy Cliffy Protectors?

By ThatGuy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7A4183A5-06C6-4F95-AE93-A51A8A2E802C (resized).jpeg
    AFM_Playfield_009.jpg
    WP_001584.jpg
    RobertM-MC1sm.jpg
    mcwear2.JPG
    Pm56lr.jpg
    23862723.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 11 years ago

I like them.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I need to take mine back out of IJ it makes that particular hole almost impossible to stick. Great product I am not sure why they would not put them on a machine.

I just put a set on my Starship Troopers. The one on the 'Live Assault Range' sink hole makes the hole smaller enough that the ball will only go down it on the softest of shots to the hole. I'll need to elongate some holes. Lots of tear-down to get to it, though....

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from ThatGuy:

I hear you, as I have a set that I have yet to install on my SST as well. I need to take off the ramps and replace a couple of GI lights as well. I saw your pics of your SST. Looks good. Any suggestions?

Well, make sure that cliffy fits tight up against the front of the live assault range hole, even if you have to modify the mounting holes to let it get there. I figured the hole was large enough that the tiny bit smaller opening wouldn't matter. I was wrong.

There is a flasher under the plastics behind the Live Assault target. I would replace it with an LED as there isn't a good way to get to it to replace it without tearing it all down.

I'd also replace all the GI lights in that area with LED's, as you can't get to them from the bottom to change them. If you have a thing against LED's, I would at least put new bulbs in there.

For inserts, either buy the premium non ghosting, or expect a lot of ghosting. I'm ok with a bit of ghosting, but this pin ghosts more than I am willing to accept. The upgraded bulbs would have been a good idea.

Lastly, the plastic ramp really isn't that bad. It comes off in one piece, all toys and flasher assemblies still connected. Number the connectors under the playfield so you can easily put them back together later.

#21 11 years ago

FWIW, 80% of my cliffy's cover up damage.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Its not the 10 thousandths of an inch that matters. It's the fact that metal doesn't absorb energy like nice soft wood does so the shots have to be cleaner than without.

Hey Cliff. This was more than .01". It's probably 1/32". I could tell when I installed it that the front face of the protector wasn't sitting flush against the leading edge of the hole, as when I pushed it all the way forward, the holes in the cliffy and the holes in my machine were winking badly (about 1/32"). But, I decided to let it ride without modifying the mounting holes, which allowd the cliffy to sit farther rearword by the same amount. My mistake.

I've not had any shot from a flipper fall into the hole since I added the cliffy.

I suggest in future revisions, you slot the holes to allow more variation in fore\aft placement.

I'll get it fixed on my machine eventually, but it's a big tear down, and I don't feel like doing it again too soon.

Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-owner-not-buy-ciffy-protectors?tu=tamoore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.