(Topic ID: 42886)

Why Would Owners NOT Buy Cliffy Protectors?

By ThatGuy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7A4183A5-06C6-4F95-AE93-A51A8A2E802C (resized).jpeg
    AFM_Playfield_009.jpg
    WP_001584.jpg
    RobertM-MC1sm.jpg
    mcwear2.JPG
    Pm56lr.jpg
    23862723.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#149 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

I've had my tron for only 2 years and I guarantee the arcade scoop would be thrashed out already.

Why would you guarantee that?

My Tron LE has never had a Cliffy at the Arcade scoop and I promise you that it isn't close to being "thrashed out already".

#152 11 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

The Tron I bought was less than a year old, and side of the scoop hole is thrashed, along with some minor damage to the top. It was lightly routed, so got more plays than a home use machine, but eventually a home use machine will get up there in plays. If a Cliffy would've been there from the start, the scoop would still be pristine. I get it, I have seen some older machines with no scoop damage. However I think you get one bad hit, it starts splintering, and it can go from bad to worse real fast.
    I look at it as insurance. You buy it, hope you never need it, but are sure glad it is there if crap happens. My thoughts are get a Cliffy, or, if you really don't like the look of them or are worried about change to game play, get a protector from Mantis if available for your machine. But get something at least. Doing something about it after it is damaged is closing the barn door after the horse gets out.

Yep, I have the Mantis on mine. I'm sure that has helped. My Arcade scoop has almost no wear at all.

#155 11 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

That is way too harsh. In my dealings with Cliff, if you contact him with a problem he is more than willing to help out. He takes pride in his products. Obviously you have a drum to bang with the WCS kick hole protector as is evident from the other thread you referenced. I would suggest contacting Cliff to see if he has a suggestion. If he doesn't, take the thing out. The most common cause of a protector lifiting is going to be if it was overtightened and you start to bend the metal out of shape

I bought a WCS that had Cliffy protectors at all the saucers. They were all curling and raised off of the PF. I posted a thread asking how to remedy the situation, and Cliff responded and generously sent me out new double sided tape free of charge (even though I wasn't the original purchaser). After re-installing them, they worked great. WCS was sold to another Pinsider, and they haven't curled again as far as I know.

#159 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

My additional question is why bother on a shooter lane? Who ever looks at the shooter lane?

Anytime someone lists a pin for sale and puts up pictures that doesn't include the shooter lane, people will ask for pictures of the shooter lane!

I think the reason for this isn't that it is so important for the shooter lane itself to look good, rather it can be an indicator of how much the pin has been played and how much wear the rest of the pin might have.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-owner-not-buy-ciffy-protectors?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.