(Topic ID: 42886)

Why Would Owners NOT Buy Cliffy Protectors?

By ThatGuy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7A4183A5-06C6-4F95-AE93-A51A8A2E802C (resized).jpeg
    AFM_Playfield_009.jpg
    WP_001584.jpg
    RobertM-MC1sm.jpg
    mcwear2.JPG
    Pm56lr.jpg
    23862723.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 11 years ago

I'm curious to why owners would not buy Cliffy protectors to protect their machines from wear. It seems like its a great investment that would ony increase value of the game when reselling or trading. Are they an eyesore for some? Too much work to install? Do purists not like them, kind of like comparing them to modding out a pin?

#2 11 years ago

I like them.

#3 11 years ago

Only to buy cliffy to cover the wear when and where that happens? I'm just guessing.

#4 11 years ago

Too Cheap ( as in cheapskate)

#5 11 years ago

I need to take mine back out of IJ it makes that particular hole almost impossible to stick. Great product I am not sure why they would not put them on a machine.

#6 11 years ago

Or CLIFFY protectors. Man, I hate typing on my iPad sometimes.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I need to take mine back out of IJ it makes that particular hole almost impossible to stick. Great product I am not sure why they would not put them on a machine.

I just put a set on my Starship Troopers. The one on the 'Live Assault Range' sink hole makes the hole smaller enough that the ball will only go down it on the softest of shots to the hole. I'll need to elongate some holes. Lots of tear-down to get to it, though....

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I just put a set on my Starship Troopers. The one on the 'Live Assault Range' sink hole makes the hole smaller enough that the ball will only go down it on the softest of shots to the hole. I'll need to elongate some holes. Lots of tear-down to get to it, though....

I hear you, as I have a set that I have yet to install on my SST as well. I need to take off the ramps and replace a couple of GI lights as well. I saw your pics of your SST. Looks good. Any suggestions?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I need to take mine back out of IJ it makes that particular hole almost impossible to stick.

Quoted from tamoore:

The one on the 'Live Assault Range' sink hole makes the hole smaller enough that the ball will only go down it on the softest of shots to the hole.

These sound like two good reasons.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from ThatGuy:

I hear you, as I have a set that I have yet to install on my SST as well. I need to take off the ramps and replace a couple of GI lights as well. I saw your pics of your SST. Looks good. Any suggestions?

Well, make sure that cliffy fits tight up against the front of the live assault range hole, even if you have to modify the mounting holes to let it get there. I figured the hole was large enough that the tiny bit smaller opening wouldn't matter. I was wrong.

There is a flasher under the plastics behind the Live Assault target. I would replace it with an LED as there isn't a good way to get to it to replace it without tearing it all down.

I'd also replace all the GI lights in that area with LED's, as you can't get to them from the bottom to change them. If you have a thing against LED's, I would at least put new bulbs in there.

For inserts, either buy the premium non ghosting, or expect a lot of ghosting. I'm ok with a bit of ghosting, but this pin ghosts more than I am willing to accept. The upgraded bulbs would have been a good idea.

Lastly, the plastic ramp really isn't that bad. It comes off in one piece, all toys and flasher assemblies still connected. Number the connectors under the playfield so you can easily put them back together later.

#11 11 years ago

I put them in my FG SM HH and DK someone told me once they didn't like them because it gave the impression that there was damage to the play field but I still do it because I do not want the damage. I threw some fits putting them in a few times.

#12 11 years ago

I just got a NIB Tron Pro which was manufactured in Feb. I had already PM'd Cliffy but then when i set up the pin I realized that all of the ramps already had protectors pre-installed. I called my distributor and he did confirm that Stern is installing some protectors now. The distributor told me to 'save my money' and not get any. This is my first pin and I guess I could post some pix of what is installed already, but they look pretty similar to the stuff on Cliffy's website.

#13 11 years ago

I bought hole protectors for Tron and XM but have not installed since I read slow roll ball can hang so I put mantis hole protectors

I had inlane protector on Tron and was getting hang up on slow roll so I took it off. But Cliffy shooter and ramp protectors are great IMO.

#14 11 years ago

My JP came with them improperly installed and I couldnt make the shots. The way the hole is cut it reduced the size by like 25%. It was so frustrating I couldnt enjoy playing. If I had bought it new I would have put then on myself correctly.

#15 11 years ago

They're idiots clearly

#16 11 years ago

I have 3 on my LOTR and zero change in play from what I can tell.

#17 11 years ago

...because if there is no wear to hide, you should show it off, proudly!

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrDo:

...because if there is no wear to hide, you should show it off, proudly!

You probably won't get much wear in home environment anyway.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I bought hole protectors for Tron and XM but have not installed since I read slow roll ball can hang so I put mantis hole protectors

I had Cliffy V1 on my Tron scoop and had the ball hang up numerous times. I now have version3 in it and have not had one ball hang up on it yet.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

...someone told me once they didn't like them because it gave the impression that there was damage to the play field...

Just take some "before" pics prior to installation and you're covered.

#21 11 years ago

FWIW, 80% of my cliffy's cover up damage.

#22 11 years ago

Since Cliffy himself will more than likely show up on this thread I have a quick question...
    Cliffy I need the protector that protects the black line on the right side of the shooter lane on my AC/DC Premium
    Please pm me a part # or a link so I can order it.
    Thanks

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#23 11 years ago

I just got done putting in the new cliffy arcade scoop protector and the two ball drop protectors....only took about 15 minutes and looks and works just as before...actually better because no worries over ball drop and scoop wear!

#24 11 years ago

23862723.jpg23862723.jpg

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

FWIW, 80% of my cliffy's cover up damage.

I have one on GNR Axl hole and would like a set for Star Trek. These have wear.

#26 11 years ago

Cliffy's are a must IMO

Some games are easier to install. WCS, for example, takes a lot of care to align them properly - but if they are, the game plays just fine. Install them incorrectly, it isn't a whole lot of fun to play.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I figured the hole was large enough that the tiny bit smaller opening wouldn't matter.

Its not the 10 thousandths of an inch that matters. It's the fact that metal doesn't absorb energy like nice soft wood does so the shots have to be cleaner than without.

#28 11 years ago

Eric! That's a priceless pic! I oughta print that sucker poster size to hang behind my table at shows

#29 11 years ago

Hey Cliffy, ya got a set for my Star Trek?

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

Since Cliffy himself will more than likely show up on this thread I have a quick question...
    Cliffy I need the protector that protects the black line on the right side of the shooter lane on my AC/DC Premium
    Please pm me a part # or a link so I can order it.

LOL! Yeah, my buddy Steve looks out for me and gave me a heads up
    I haven't put those on the web page yet but just email me and ask for the "right side eject"
    [email protected]

#32 11 years ago

The blue nub of death brackets? Those aren't mine. That's our friends at Pinbits and I'm sure they'll make more and probably have some on hand now. Pam has limited time lately (hi gramma!) so the site doesn't get updated as often as they would like.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hey Cliffy, ya got a set for my Star Trek?

Depends on which Star Trek you have Odin. I make them for DE ST25 and STTNG already. Are they needed on Bally ST?

#34 11 years ago

I heard one guy got a nasty paper cut from one...thats I needed to hear...nasty paper cut or chewed up kick outs, you decide?

#35 11 years ago

Data East Star Trek. I checked a couple of suppliers, they were out of the set. I need both.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

The blue nub of death brackets? Those aren't mine. That's our friends at Pinbits and I'm sure they'll make more and probably have some on hand now. Pam has limited time lately (hi gramma!) so the site doesn't get updated as often as they would like.

Thanks, sorry to bother.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Its not the 10 thousandths of an inch that matters. It's the fact that metal doesn't absorb energy like nice soft wood does so the shots have to be cleaner than without.

Hey Cliff. This was more than .01". It's probably 1/32". I could tell when I installed it that the front face of the protector wasn't sitting flush against the leading edge of the hole, as when I pushed it all the way forward, the holes in the cliffy and the holes in my machine were winking badly (about 1/32"). But, I decided to let it ride without modifying the mounting holes, which allowd the cliffy to sit farther rearword by the same amount. My mistake.

I've not had any shot from a flipper fall into the hole since I added the cliffy.

I suggest in future revisions, you slot the holes to allow more variation in fore\aft placement.

I'll get it fixed on my machine eventually, but it's a big tear down, and I don't feel like doing it again too soon.

Thanks!

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from sb80:

Thanks, sorry to bother.

Psshaw. Never a bother.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Data East Star Trek. I checked a couple of suppliers, they were out of the set. I need both.

email me at [email protected]

#40 11 years ago

But, I decided to let it ride without modifying the mounting holes, which allowd the cliffy to sit farther rearword by the same amount. My mistake.

Hey Tamore, don't you have one of these?

Pm56lr.jpgPm56lr.jpg

#41 11 years ago

Thanks, will do.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I suggest in future revisions, you slot the holes to allow more variation in fore\aft placement.

Great idea and I've done this on most of my protectors already. I didn't do that on ST because I made them from a near perfect NOS playfield so (mistakenly) figured they would fit everyone's game the same. Stoopid stoopid stoopid of me. Pre-cnc playfields get me every time as they just are not always drilled the same. Sorry man!

#43 11 years ago

Cliffy
    Email sent
    Thanks

#44 11 years ago

Great product...great guy. Thanks, Cliff.

#45 11 years ago

On HUO environment, the holes just don't wear enough. I buy them to cover but not to protect. Sometimes they make the shots a bit harder. But not usually.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

On HUO environment, the holes just don't wear enough. I buy them to cover but not to protect. Sometimes they make the shots a bit harder. But not usually.

Well stated, sir.

#47 11 years ago

I been thinking about putting Cliffy protectors on my Cliffy protectors.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Ditto for my games.
    Personal preference.
    Glad they are readily available though.
    However, Understand peace of mind others get.

#49 11 years ago

#1 mod to do on games where they are available. If not in stock at a place you are buying parts from, just email "Cliffy" directly, response is always very quick.

#50 11 years ago

Cliffy PM sent

I want to get my tron all pimped out and protected. Should be getting it this coming week.
    Ramp protectors and trough side protector plate.

Thanks
    Shoot_Again

There are 184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-owner-not-buy-ciffy-protectors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.