WHTDMD.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 12.20.55 AM.png
IMG_4652.JPG
IMM 32 001.JPG
80bb997c828dcf724eb8838a54156c8c.jpg
rollingstones-nba.jpg
RDs Unicorn.png
IMAG0126.jpg

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Unless you own a '65 or '66 Mustang or a brand new '15, the cars featured on the LE aren't that special. The premium features older and modern Boss 302s and Boss 351s and Boss 429s (even on its playfield) and is the model that should appeal to Mustang enthusiasts like me (who like high performance model Mustangs).

I'm not a Mustang guy, you look like one so I'll just trust your logic is sound. We haven't played the Premium, maybe the gameplay really is better. I'm willing to believe that, won't be the first time that's happened. I bought a NIB Star Trek Prem, not a hater of the model, I'm down with the Pro/Premium split, I get why it makes sense for Stern. I'm not a big LE fan in general, so that's probably coloring my perception here. Maybe the cabinet finish really will be awesome. But much like I don't care about WOZ's clearcoated cab, for me the important stuff is the armor, the playfield, the translite (or better yet mirrored backglass), the stuff you really interact with while you play and stand in front of the machine.

#102 9 years ago

Most of you Stern haters cant afford a new machine...so zip it.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from AhhhBisto:

Most of you Stern haters cant afford a new machine...so zip it.

I get the feeling most people here can. "Can" and "want to" are two different things.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I get the feeling most people here can. "Can" and "want to" are two different things.

Yeah! That 1 went right over my head!....

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I wish I was a fad dieter, would make my life so much easier when I just changed my mind one morning!
I'm can explain why I'm gluten free in one word: celiac
I'll talk some stupid camerman's ear off about autoimmune disorders, but that wouldn't make good TV.

I'm very familiar with celiac disease as my sister has it. It is very real, and can have pretty serious consequences. She was not being nearly as strict as she should have been for years, and it caught up with her. Doctors set her straight and she is on a strict gluten free diet now.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

She was not being nearly as strict as she should have been for years, and it caught up with her. Doctors set her straight and she is on a strict gluten free diet now.

Yeah, it's tough, you gotta be militant, but once you get used to it it's not such a big deal. Traveling can be annoying, that's about the sum of my worries these days otherwise. The fad dieters may annoy people, but they've made product shopping so much easier for me that I don't even care, bring it on.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

An operator here is buying one for his location. It should be arriving next week. Apparently he wanted to order a Premium to get all the features, but was talked into an LE at a "good deal". I was told by multiple dealers that the LE, and Premium for that matter, are not selling well at all so they are trying to move them however they can. I told him he was throwing away money getting an LE, but he wanted to do it. At least I get to see and play one, but I can't imagine he will be recouping his cost anytime soon and/or the resell value being there when it comes time to sell this.

No surprise. This LE is going to be one tough sell unless they drastically drop the price. Drastically.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

At least I get to see and play one

Hey, report back, tell us if the new cabinet is all that, and worth giving up the mirrored backglass for!

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, report back, tell us if the new cabinet is all that, and worth giving up the mirrored backglass for!

Sure, I'll swing over there when he gets it in and check it out. I saw the initial video about the crossover ramp today and that did not do anything for my expectations. I hope the drops and the crossover ramp are well integrated, I guess we'll see.

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Report back and tell us if the new cabinet is all that.

Quoted from LesManley:

I'll swing over there when he gets it in and check it out. I saw the initial video about the crossover ramp today and that did not do anything for my expectations. I hope the drops and the crossover ramp are well integrated, I guess we'll see.

The crossover ramp and the drop targets (and the action button on the lockdown bar) are on the premium and the LE. The LE-only cabinet finish is something totally new developed by Stern and used on Mustang LE for the very first time. Advertised as: "the cabinet art is rendered on a unique satin glow brushed aluminum finish to accentuate the dazzling new car! This innovative new cabinet art process was developed by Stern to give the car a three dimensional look and feel." Most important to specifically report back on the never-seen-before cabinet side art.

#111 9 years ago

Ahhbistro,
None of the typical Stern haters are even posting here. Almost everyone is the guys that buy every new stern and mostly bought Les or Premiums.
Your getting pure Stern enthusiasts feedback .

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, it's tough, you gotta be militant, but once you get used to it it's not such a big deal. Traveling can be annoying, that's about the sum of my worries these days otherwise. The fad dieters may annoy people, but they've made product shopping so much easier for me that I don't even care, bring it on.

Funny, my sister and I were talking about that exact issue last week. Shopping and even eating out has become a lot easier for people with celiac because of the fad dieters for sure. Plenty of menus now will say "gluten free" on some of their items. Same at the grocery store, with things like hummus even saying "gluten free" on the package.

#113 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Ahhbistro,
None of the typical Stern haters are even posting here. Almost everyone is the guys that buy every new stern and mostly bought Les or Premiums.
Your getting pure Stern enthusiasts feedback .

You are talking to a "Retired Pinsider".

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

the action button on the lockdown bar

Do we know what this does yet? I think someone was speculating that it controlled the car turntable rotation, but not sure if that was confirmed or a guess.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

The crossover ramp and the drop targets (and the action button on the lockdown bar) are on the premium and the LE. The LE-only cabinet finish is something totally new developed by Stern and used on Mustang LE for the very first time. Advertised as: "the cabinet art is rendered on a unique satin glow brushed aluminum finish to accentuate the dazzling new car! This innovative new cabinet art process was developed by Stern to give the car a three dimensional look and feel." Most important to specifically report back on the never-seen-before cabinet side art.

How does the crossover ramp work? On the pro, the ramp is hardly ever down leaving it mostly as a rampless game. Adding a crossover ramp for ball exiting the few times the ramp is down doesn't sound like its adding much. I have games where I never see the left exit ramp on the pro and often don't get to make any ramp shot 10 times in a game. Take out the ramp, which is what we have most the time here, and the game is a few targets and an orbit. Basically like a fast playing EM with great sounds and some rules. I don't suppose the LE fixes much of this?

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've never even seen a Stones pin, LE or otherwise. That and Big Buck Hunter are like unicorns apparently.

on topic, off topic....Here you go, found these in Auckland on a trip in January RSLE & BBH side by side, I think it was RotorDaves unicorn parked outside too, pot of gold was long gone though sadly

IMAG0126.jpgIMAG0126.jpg
RDs Unicorn.pngRDs Unicorn.png

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

How does the crossover ramp work? On the pro, the ramp is hardly ever down leaving it mostly as a rampless game. Adding a crossover ramp for ball exiting the few times the ramp is down doesn't sound like its adding much. I have games where I never see the left exit ramp on the pro and often don't get to make any ramp shot 10 times in a game. Take out the ramp, which is what we have most the time here, and the game is a few targets and an orbit. Basically like a fast playing EM with great sounds and some rules. I don't suppose the LE fixes much of this?

Just diverts back to the right flipper. Whatever you can make out of this doesn't look too exciting. I agree with you, the ramp needs to be utilized way more than it currently is.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152392580569244&set=vb.136972659243&type=2&theater

#118 9 years ago

First of all, I'm a mustang follower. Favorite car of all time second only to anything named "Shelby". But this machine just isn't getting it for me. The music, the call outs, the damn horse neighing... Maybe if I was 10 I'd enjoy it.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

First of all, I'm a mustang follower. Favorite car of all time second only to anything named "Shelby". But this machine just isn't getting it for me. The music, the call outs, the damn horse neighing... Maybe if I was 10 I'd enjoy it.

Are you just watching old videos? They removed the horse neighing a long time ago.

#120 9 years ago

I face palmed when jjp made clear coated cabinets a feature. Now stern is doing the same thing with printing on metal? I can only see the side art on two of my machines. I don't want manufacturers to spend money here. If they drew the sides in crayon and spent more money on the playable parts I would be much happier. Don't make this mistake again.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Can't imagine how this could possible be true. I don't see that many gearheads interested in dropping 5k on a pinball machine who weren't already in to and looking for the latest Stern title. I just can't see any gearhead with 5k sitting in their pocket trying to decide between car parts and a pinball machine. Of course this opinion was only factored with one gearhead being consulted

I can see you don't know very many Mustang owners. With Boss 302's going for up to $100k and Boss 429's going for $1m these people have money and they want and can afford the best. $8k for a pin is chump change for them. But no telling if they are into pinball. One of my good friends has an original 65 Shelby that was one of the original road race Shelby's, he won't tell me how much it's worth but believe me it's A LOT!! He races it every year and has a NASCAR type car hauler. His racing budget each year is about 200k.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Well, sadly, classic Mustangs are becoming more and more blue-chip collector's items these days(along with the rest of the muscle car market) instead of fun, classic driver's cars and $100k Mustangs are more common now than ever before. Hell, $50k Mustangs are everywhere you look! Those aren't gearhead prices necessarily, they're showpiece collector prices. They're the kind of prices for those that buy old cars and classic memorabilia to put in their shop that's decked out with checkerboard linoleum and an antique gas pump and an old jukebox(and most likely, 5 other classic cars).
With the prevalence of classic auto auctions and the TV coverage they get, this is becoming more the case than ever. I remember a time where you could buy a '69 Boss 429 fully restored for just over $50k. Now, you'd be lucky to find one that NEEDS a full restoring for less than $100k. And fully restored ones go for well over $250k.
Same thing has happened in the pinball world. There are a number of pins that, within the last 5-8 years, have become blue-chip pins. Pins that defy the old supply and demand model: TAF, MM, AFM, and TZ just to name a few. I'm sure there are more than a few of us here on Pinside that can remember times as recently as a few years ago when they would turn down buying a TAF for $1500 because while it had no magnet burn, it did have some shooter lane and chair scoop wear.
All that to say this: There are plenty of Mustang owners new and old who have dropped multiple tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, on their cars to put in their "showroom". What's another $5-8k for a pinball machine themed after your prized possessions?
A drop in the bucket.
I personally know of two people in my local Mustang club who are considering purchasing the LE who know nothing about pinball machines, the current state of pinball, or even who makes the Mustang pin to begin with! They just love the idea of it and have the extra cash to spend. (Oh, to have more money than brains!)

Exactly. Wish I had more money then brains.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Do you expect the Ford dealerships to buy a machine for their showroom? If so, couldn't that be a significant source of sales?

Apple Valley Ford in Apple Valley, MN has one. Don't know if they bought it.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I just don't see much in the way of defending and desiring the LE,

That's because your a Euro guy not a Mustang guy, you said it yourself.

#125 9 years ago

Stern is out of their mind listing Mustang LE at $8.5k where the main toy is a spinning car that doesn't interact with the ball at all... It seems like once again Stern saw JJP raising their prices and said "Let's do the same, not add a comparable amount of toys / features and hope people buy it". There's nothing wrong with making a simpler game (many are fun) but I'll never pay $8k for a game like this. I would take a MET, ACDC or ST pro any day over this game.

#126 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

le machines are for suckers and mustang owners are generally suckers to begin with so mustang le is a double sucker attraction. thankfully stern will do well with this machine. premiums are the way to go... this is imho only of course

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

le machines are for suckers and mustang owners are generally suckers to begin with so mustang le is a double sucker attraction. thankfully stern will do well with this machine. premiums are the way to go... this is imho only of course

Wow and that's your HUMBLE opinion?

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm not a Mustang guy, you look like one so I'll just trust your logic is sound. We haven't played the Premium, maybe the gameplay really is better. I'm willing to believe that, won't be the first time that's happened. I bought a NIB Star Trek Prem, not a hater of the model, I'm down with the Pro/Premium split, I get why it makes sense for Stern. I'm not a big LE fan in general, so that's probably coloring my perception here. Maybe the cabinet finish really will be awesome. But much like I don't care about WOZ's clearcoated cab, for me the important stuff is the armor, the playfield, the translite (or better yet mirrored backglass), the stuff you really interact with while you play and stand in front of the machine.

Very well put...... plus, plus and more pluses ( just don't know how to do it,,, )

Anyway, my first car was a 66 Mustang. Got to remember though, that car had so much bondo on it,,, and different paints... that it would not entertain anybody today. But yes, I do have a connection to the Ford Mustang.

I will however have to say that I am not in on the Mustang LE .... just hasn't caught my fancy. (or I should say more properly, the wife won't let me buy it.)....

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Wow and that's your HUMBLE opinion?

i am humbly sorry my opinion exceeds your minimalistic expectations of what opinions should consist of

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

i am humbly sorry my opinion exceeds your minimalistic expectations of what opinions should consist of

Your opinion sucks, does that meet or exceed your expectations?

Saying LE's or Mustangs are for suckers is, well, douchey.

Of course that's my opinion.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Your opinion sucks, does that meet or exceed your expectations?
Saying LE's or Mustangs are for suckers is, well, douchey.
Of course that's my opinion.

i can live with that opinion...peace. all in fun. sorry if i upset you. for the record if mustang turns out great when code is complete i would be a premium buyer because le buyers are suckers imo.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Wow, now that was very well put as well.

I love reading the posts on pinside. This is truly a phrase that I will have to 'share' with the wife the next time she tells me something I don't understand. I am a humble person in general.,,, and so I may share this with her as well.,,,, In my humble opinion.

(now, I suppose I should read the post so I don't speak without knowledge.. I just like the explanation that I will happily share with the wife in our next discussion/ argument)

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well if you ever wanna see a movie w/ me up this way - the movie theater right by my house has Stones & ST Pro machines.

I'd bet the theater is a cinemark. I use to take care of their arcade and it seems they are one of the few places who still have arcades. Even a more rare occur acne is an arcade with two new well kept pinz.

Here is "Two thumbs up" to my old boss Matt MacDoungh (gamefixer) for keeping pinball alive in a few locations!

The pinballs almost never earn as well as a video game, cost more to keep running and require a heck of a lot more tlc than a video game.

All My Best!

Chris Kruger

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

i can live with that opinion...peace. all in fun. sorry if i upset you. for the record if mustang turns out great when code is complete i would be a premium buyer because le buyers are suckers imo.

LE's are for whoever wants them...

#135 9 years ago

Especially if they are suckers : )

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

on topic, off topic....Here you go, found these in Auckland on a trip in January RSLE & BBH side by side, I think it was RotorDaves unicorn parked outside too, pot of gold was long gone though sadly

IMAG0126.jpg 250 KB

RDs Unicorn.png 104 KB

An arcade in Perth Station had a Rolling Stones too. And yes, Mick-on-a-stick had been cut off at the waist! I would have had go, but my train was due and the arcade used a stupid proprietary token system. The NBA's playfield was serious planked. rollingstones-nba.jpgrollingstones-nba.jpg

#137 9 years ago

the words limited edition gets thrown around too easy these days.. much like the word premium. altho there are a few exceptions, that yes the additions are well worth the extra $

#138 9 years ago

I want one. I am a sucker. BUT I took an oath and I will wait for the code to be "done". I think the game is already fun tho!

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern is out of their mind listing Mustang LE at $8.5k where the main toy is a spinning car that doesn't interact with the ball at all... It seems like once again Stern saw JJP raising their prices and said "Let's do the same, not add a comparable amount of toys / features and hope people buy it". There's nothing wrong with making a simpler game (many are fun) but I'll never pay $8k for a game like this. I would take a MET, ACDC or ST pro any day over this game.

How did the pin play when you ran it through it's paces?

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Spoken like a true Chevy snob....this is only imho only of course.

#141 9 years ago

Mustang pin seems fun, fast and different - a must buy for Mustang fans... but the justification for LE over Pro seems (IMHO) weaker than for other pins (?).

Assuming I owned a Mustang car, I would buy a Pro and have a custom-made translite with my own car!

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Right right so true. Maybe I'd want a BMW M LE. But I wasn't talking about me, I was kinda poking the bear to see if some Mustang fans would step up, tell me I'm full of it, and tout their LE order. That's what I'm not really seeing. I was trolling a little, but as much in the fishing sense.

#143 9 years ago

If your collection of Stern pins are all Limited Editions, then buying the Mustang LE would be the next addition to the line up.

#144 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Mustang pin seems fun, fast and different - a must buy for Mustang fans... but the justification for LE over Pro seems (IMHO) weaker than for other pins (?).
Assuming I owned a Mustang car, I would buy a Pro and have a custom-made translite with my own car!

See, now that's a sharp idea. The LE translite isn't a backglass and it's not well designed IMHO so it you got one you could feel good about taking it off for that custom route. Wash and wax, do a nice photo shoot, that would be a great way to show off your car.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right right so true. Maybe I'd want a BMW M LE. But I wasn't talking about me, I was kinda poking the bear to see if some Mustang fans would step up, tell me I'm full of it, and tout their LE order. That's what I'm not really seeing. I was trolling a little, but as much in the fishing sense.

Aurich, here something to ponder. Since the Ford Mustang hobby is so diverse, not all the owners of Fords like pinball. I think Vice-Versa can apply here too. Current owners of valuable Mustangs/Shelbys may have lots of money in their cars, some owners even build a shrine like garage for their cars. A Stern pin would be a perfect match to all of the other Mustang stuff they may have. Some Mustang people may only have a Mustang that is a driver only, not a trailered show car.

I have never seen an ad in Mustang Monthly for Sterns pin, maybe they are missing the boat on that. The Ford Collections site is used mostly by Dealers, and the Parts Manager most likely would not order Pinball Machine.

#146 9 years ago

Well I bought the Mustang LE before I saw it, Not saying I am to excited, but I'll give it a chance. It might turn out like my BBH. It's ok, but not worth selling and losing my butt on. No big deal just another pin to play on and trick out. I will say it has made me re-think Stern buying before seeing it. I was just glad to buy a game that wasn't a super hero or heavy metal band. Something different, I wasn't to impressed with the play of a Mustang Pro at the TPF but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
80bb997c828dcf724eb8838a54156c8c.jpg80bb997c828dcf724eb8838a54156c8c.jpg

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I have never seen an ad in Mustang Monthly for Sterns pin, maybe they are missing the boat on that. The Ford Collections site is used mostly by Dealers, and the Parts Manager most likely would not order Pinball Machine.

My understanding is that the Pros have sold well, and to car people, not pin people. And I think that's great, good for Stern, expand the market. Smart play. And maybe some rich Mustang fans will get LEs. I just suspect that outside of pinball most people a) don't care about the LE part, just any old Mustang pin is as cool as any other, and b) probably think the "cheap" Pro price that we're used to is already crazy money for a toy.

Just my guess of course, no research or anything.

Quoted from wdpvideo:

Well I bought the Mustang LE before I saw it, Not saying I am to excited, but I'll give it a chance.

No exactly a ringing endorsement, but thanks for stepping up and saying you're getting one, was hoping someone would.

Also, full disclosure, I've had semi-lustful thoughts about finding a Metallica LE lately. So I'm not even that much of an LE hater. It's hard to justify that extra money though.

#148 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I ordered a Premium. I felt that the extras on the LE as compared to the Boss were not worth the extra grand or so.

To add to this. This will be my first and most likely last NIB machine. I preferred the Premium, as the LE art with the 1964 1/2 and the 2015, does not fall into the category of Ford Mustangs that I really like. This is another reason why I didn't order a Limited Edition.

The 1992 LX 5.0 in Bimini Blue, is mine.
IMM 32 001.JPGIMM 32 001.JPG

#149 9 years ago

Dang,
You were not impressed with the pro game play and so you went and ordered an Le sight unseen . Well at least we know your honest .
Please share pics and thoughts .

#150 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How did the pin play when you ran it through it's paces?

I've only played the pro so far and found the game not to be very fun in part due to the game not having one main interactive toy. If Stern is advertising the multi level ramp as it's main toy then I just scratch my head as for $5k plus I would expect more. ACDC pro has the canon, MET the sparky toy, and ST the ship toy. All of those toys interact with the ball yet the stationary and spinning car on Mustang doesn't interact with the ball at all. Stern seems more focused on packing in features such as metal side art, metal speaker covers and powder coated armor with Mustang rather than putting more toys in the game to create value.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-anyone-buy-the-mustang-le/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.