Topic Stats

• 200 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Hammerhead
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MSShooterRod.jpg
WHTDMD.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 12.20.55 AM.png
IMG_4652.JPG
IMM 32 001.JPG
80bb997c828dcf724eb8838a54156c8c.jpg
rollingstones-nba.jpg
RDs Unicorn.png
IMAG0126.jpg

There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

So I was just reading on Pinball News that the Mustange LE gets a normal translite, no mirrored backglass. That's an LE first for Stern, no? As least in the 'modern' LE era. Mirrored backglasses are awesome, one of the best parts of the LE upgrade! And apparently the Premium gets a new playfield design, but the LE re-uses the one from the Pro. ???

Those strike me as odd decisions for a machine with a $8,495 MSRP.

I get that having an LE is a cool thing, but usually you get cool stuff to make it so. Star Trek might be the best example yet, cool unique stuff. Why spend the extra money for a Pro playfield and normal translite when you could get the Prem with unique playfield?

Any LE buyers here? Am I missing out on something? It might get an upgraded speaker panel if I'm remembering right?

Edit: Missed this part of the press release: "In addition, the cabinet art is rendered on a unique satin glow brushed aluminum finish to accentuate the dazzling new car! This innovative new cabinet art process was developed by Stern to give the car a three dimensional look and feel."

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So I was just reading on Pinball News that the Mustange LE gets a normal translite, no mirrored backglass. That's an LE first for Stern, no? As least in the 'modern' LE era. Mirrored backglasses are awesome, one of the best parts of the LE upgrade! And apparently the Premium gets a new playfield design, but the LE re-uses the one from the Pro. ???
I get that having an LE is a cool thing, but usually you get cool stuff to make it so. Star Trek might be the best example yet, cool unique stuff. Why spend the extra money for a Pro playfield and normal translite when you could get the Prem with unique playfield?
Any LE buyers here? Am I missing out on something? It might get an upgraded speaker panel if I'm remembering right?
Edit: Missed this part of the press release: "In addition, the cabinet art is rendered on a unique satin glow brushed aluminum finish to accentuate the dazzling new car! This innovative new cabinet art process was developed by Stern to give the car a three dimensional look and feel."

the mirrored back glass has always been the closer for me since BSM. What a bummer, i look at the back glass much more than the cabinet. Oh well

#3 5 years ago

Lol the most anyone should be charging for a non widebody game with a lack of toys is $6500.

#4 5 years ago

Who cares about widebody or narrow body, this is the most ridiculous argument I've heard in a long while.

#5 5 years ago

METLE in the house and the mirrored BG is great but I don't know that it would've been a deal breaker.

I don't care for Mustang (and I'm a car guy) I just want to see whats next

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If there wasn't enough reason for not buying this title, then this would be the nail in the coffin.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't believe Avatar, Tron, or Transformers LE's came with mirrored backglasses. Tron and Avatar at least had the 3D backglass, but it was a translite like the pro's.

#8 5 years ago

My TFLE combo has a translite. I think the others did, too.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The LE cabinet art is rendered on a unique satin glow brushed aluminum finish to accentuate the dazzling new car! This innovative new cabinet art process was developed by Stern to give the car a three dimensional look and feel.

We all need to see the Mustang LE cabinet. It could surpass WOZLE and be the best cab ever.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I don't believe Avatar, Tron, or Transformers LE's came with mirrored backglasses. Tron and Avatar at least had the 3D backglass, but it was a translite like the pro's.

Correct.

This is hardly a first

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Yeah, why I said 'modern'. Definitely wasn't counting Avatar or Tron, those pre-date the new model. Transformers I don't know about, that's more recent I guess. The funny LOTR LE was. Avengers was mirrored right? I seem to recall the Hulk one being a backglass. X-Men LEs definitely are. Metallica, Star Trek, mirrored. AC/DC, real backglass. The expectation for LE = mirrored backglass seems pretty set now. I know that I would expect it at least, it's an awesome feature.

#12 5 years ago

Seems weird that the LE would have the Pro playfield. Doesn't the Pro lack the punch it button found on the Premium and LE?

This is one weird release. Glad I have no interest in the theme. Had they done something like this with Star Trek, I'd be pissed and confused.

#13 5 years ago

Mirrored backglasses rock!

#14 5 years ago

I think Stern is going with the automotive definition of "Limited Edition" here.

Like the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited...where Limited often meant nothing more than different paint options.
Or the Ford Explorer when Limited Edition and Eddie Bauer Limited Edition equaled over 85% of vehicles produced.

Limited Edition seems to mean nothing much in the auto world.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Mhulsebu:

Limited Edition seems to mean nothing much in the auto world.

Haha true. You get the same car, but the plastic logo trim is fake gold instead of chromed.

#16 5 years ago

Don't forget Jism rights. Some people will pay a lot to have "the best."

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Don't forget Jism rights. Some people will pay a lot to have "the best."

Oh for sure. Some big % of LE buying has to be about that. And that's fine, nothing wrong with that per se. As long as you're not a dick about it to people who don't have one.

But doesn't it strike you as odd that the LE doesn't feel like "the best"? If all three had the same playfield that would be one thing, but the Premium gets a special one, and the LE shares with the Pro. Kinda makes the Premium feel like the real LE, the playfield is the most important part! Stern had seemed to settle into a pretty fixed Pro/Prem/LE model, I guess I'm just surprised to seem the deviating from it in this particular manner.

All I've seen is the Pro, I presume the Prem and LE aren't shipping yet. Has anyone on Pinside seen either in person?

#18 5 years ago

I think, on this title, I would go pro. But I never looked too closely at the differences, besides artwork and the other 4 songs (which I bet someone will figure out how to re-add).

#19 5 years ago

I think the better question is why would anyone buy a Mustang, period

#20 5 years ago

i suspect the target audience is gearheads as much as if notmoreso than pinheads -- thus, they felt they could leave off features that wouldn't be major selling points to car enthusiasts. "mirrored backglass" probably doesn't sound that snazzy to someone that doesn't know what it is.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i suspect the target audience is gearheads as much as if notmoreso than pinheads -- thus, they felt they could leave off features that wouldn't be major selling points to car enthusiasts. "mirrored backglass" probably doesn't sound that snazzy to someone that doesn't know what it is.

I think you're dead on with the audience, I just suspect that particular audience will be buying Pros and not give a shit about the Prem/LE stuff that we do. Now maybe I'm wrong, and the LE is really just for car people who want "the best" and don't care, and the Premium is the actual pinhead edition.

Also, it seems that my info on the LE playfield being the Pro one must be outdated, this page makes it look like all three are different:

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/mustang/index4.html

Just the cars changing, but not re-using. So maybe I'm just making too big a deal out of the lack of mirrored backglass? Such a sweet feature though.

#22 5 years ago

It's possible there is a class of LE owners, perhaps not on Pinside, that simply buy the LE because it's the LE. It wouldn't be first time a manufacturer sells a high end version of something that's mostly the same as the normal version, but they make much more $$$. Some people spend before they look.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from altan:

It's possible there is a class or LE owners, perhaps not on Pinside, that simply buy the LE because it's the LE.

Or perhaps on Pinside

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from GUMBO:

I don't care for Mustang (and I'm a car guy) I just want to see whats next

Im in the same boat. And this is the best thing about Stern. You can always count on the next pin in a few months. I hope they step up there game on the next title.

#25 5 years ago

+ Well, the two CC like road hazard drop targets seem cool.
- Don't see the point of the crossover ramp. I mean, why bother? If you are going to go to the trouble of diverting the ball from the left to the right ramp, why not just send the ball to the right ramp initially?
- The spinning car table seems way too big and blocks the view of the pops area.
+ 4 more songs, not sure what they are but more is better, right?
+ Lighted donut sign. Looks cool. Not really a game changer though.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, why I said 'modern'. Definitely wasn't counting Avatar or Tron, those pre-date the new model. Transformers I don't know about, that's more recent I guess. The funny LOTR LE was. Avengers was mirrored right? I seem to recall the Hulk one being a backglass. X-Men LEs definitely are. Metallica, Star Trek, mirrored. AC/DC, real backglass. The expectation for LE = mirrored backglass seems pretty set now. I know that I would expect it at least, it's an awesome feature.

Stern mirrored backglasses:

Spider-Man (Black Suit Edition)
LOTR LE
Rolling Stones LE
AC/DC BIB & LTBR LEs
X-Men Wolv & Mag LEs
Avengers "Blue" & Hulk LEs
Metallica LE
Star Trek LE

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern mirrored backglasses:

Doh, totally forgot Spider-Man, duh. I think I can forgive myself for overlooking Rolling Stones though.

Thanks!

#28 5 years ago

I guess if I owned a mustang and was really into cars then that's the version I would buy.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Doh, totally forgot Spider-Man, duh. I think I can forgive myself for overlooking Rolling Stones though.
Thanks!

I would still totally buy a Stones LE if the price was right (less than $5k)

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I've never even seen a Stones pin, LE or otherwise. That and Big Buck Hunter are like unicorns apparently. One downside to this "private collections only" thing we've got going on down here I guess, apparently no one (but you!) wants to own them, so I never see them.

#31 5 years ago

Mustang should be transported back to Fiorelo Laguardia's time...

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've never even seen a Stones pin, LE or otherwise. That and Big Buck Hunter are like unicorns apparently. One downside to this "private collections only" thing we've got going on down here I guess, apparently no one (but you!) wants to own them, so I never see them.

Well if you ever wanna see a movie w/ me up this way - the movie theater right by my house has Stones & ST Pro machines.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well if you ever wanna see a movie w/ me up this way - the movie theater right by my house has Stones & ST Pro machines.

I'll buy the butter-free vegan popcorn.

#34 5 years ago

Played a pro mustang very boring, hardly anything cool on the pLayfield,oh and worst of all the theme

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'll buy the butter-free vegan popcorn.

with a double half-caff latte? Do you have something against butter-flavored grease?

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from swf127:

with a double half-caff latte? Do you have something against butter-flavored grease?

Rarehero is a vegan. I find animals plenty tasty, but I'm gluten free, so we're quite the pair.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've never even seen a Stones pin, LE or otherwise

that means you've never seen the incredible "Mick on a stick"?!?!

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Or half of him usually.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Or half of him usually.

haha yeah i've had the "pleasure" of playing RS. Aurich, you're not missing much.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Or half of him usually.

Half of him is a big improvement over all of him

#41 5 years ago

If it's anything like LoTR LE, I'll take a translite.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, why I said 'modern'. Definitely wasn't counting Avatar or Tron, those pre-date the new model.

When did Tron LE and Avatar LE make it to the "old" model class?

Quoted from Aurich:

I've never even seen a Stones pin, LE or otherwise. That and Big Buck Hunter are like unicorns apparently.

Not really. Eskaybee owned a BBH for years. I had it for awhile. And they had one on location at Lake Alice Trading Co. in Riverside for quite awhile too. Yeah, it's kinda rare, but not Unicorn rare.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's what you get for procrastinating and thought you learned your lesson with BBB

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Rarehero is a vegan. I find animals plenty tasty, but I'm gluten free, so we're quite the pair.

But can you compete with Tiny Hamsters Eating Tiny Burritos?

">

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

haha yeah i've had the "pleasure" of playing RS. Aurich, you're not missing much.

Yeah it's pretty rough.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Or half of him usually.

The one at the theater broke in half - but they replaced it w/ a new one that has a protective backing...so I don't think it'll break again.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Two road hazard drop targets, crossover ramp, spinning car table, and 4 more songs.

All those things (plus 8 color-changing LEDs, chrome pony emblem on speaker panel, painted metal bottom arch, and action button on lockdown bar) are shared by the premium and the LE.

All three (pro + premium + LE) get different cabinet art, different translights, and different cars pictured here and there on basically the same playfield.

Only the LE gets the totally new cabinet material construction, plus:
5 backbox flash lamps
illuminated speaker surrounds with laser-cut hexagonal grills
shaker motor
color-themed metallic powdercoated armor, legs, hinges, and front molding
designer John Trudeau's signature on the playfield under the clearcoat
serialized number plate (on the speaker panel) + certificate of authenticity

Maybe once we see it the LE's "unique satin glow brushed aluminum finish innovative new cabinet art process to give the car (on the sidebox) a three dimensional look and feel" will make up for the lack of a mirrored backglass?

#48 5 years ago

I think the point of the diverter is to get it to the right side but for it to not go into the whirlpool (whatever you call that ) part of the right ramp to keep the game playing faster.

I'm in the crowd of this being a fun pin and wanting one but also knowing the prem/LE is stupid expensive for what it provides. I'm just hoping I can pick up a premium/LE down the road for a great price. Based off what I keep seeing here I think that's going to be possible but with talking with some of the dist they say these are selling pretty well (Mustang in general not just LE's).

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I presume the Premium and LE aren't shipping yet. Has anyone on Pinside seen either in person?

No. One distributor's website says premiums are expected to be available the end of May / beginning of June. Not sure if the LEs would be run after the pros and before the premiums or run last?

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Only the LE gets the totally new cabinet material construction, plus:

Thanks for the list. I guess I'm fixated on this backglass thing. I'm not in the market even for the Pro, so it's just idle curiosity, anyone who thinks it's a good deal I wish nothing but enjoyment.

Quoted from RobT:

When did TRON LE and Avatar LE make it to the "old" model class?

Stern hadn't really established the whole "Pro for route, Premium for home" thing yet then. And admittedly they're somewhat random about it, like there's no Premium model of X-Men, but two LEs, Avengers got two LEs also, and technically they built 7 Premiums and then air-freighted them to Antarctica. But if you look back at that list Greg posted it's pretty clear that they've settled into a bit of a groove since AC/DC. Mustang has Pro/Prem/LE, and they're basically setting it up like Star Trek, just decided to go with this new cabinet instead of a backglass it looks like.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NH
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Star Wars Premium Out of stock
Operation Pinball
$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 200 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside