Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinballFever
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0029.JPG
image-1.jpg
armynavy.jpg
PedalPower.jpg
th-1.jpeg
_napalm.jpg
War.jpeg
image.jpg
Image 43.jpg
image.jpg
th.jpeg
BeamMeUp.jpg
WP_20150517_003.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heatwave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

IPDB is awesome but the ratings are unreliable.

Totally agree. And maybe even a little guilty of giving me games higher ratings. But I have also rated a few games that I have owned (like Jack's Open, Royal Flush) as only OK.

My approach is to focus on the descriptions and try to piece together your own summary from looking at all the reviews for a game. You can usually get a sense of those who truly know the game vs. those going from memory or worse, downgrading a game so their makes the "top 10". As always, no substitute for playing.

There used to be a reviewer who had 100's of reviews and they were very well written. I can't recall his name but a few years ago I think he got upset about all the gamesmanship going on with reviews and pulled all of his. It was a loss - If I had known it was going to happen I would have printed them out before he took them down!

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Bruce Moyer.

That's the name. Yes, he did seem to favor some of the older games but that was interesting to me as I was not old enough to remember playing them but really liked learning about them.

Most of my pinball playing as a youth was probably between 1970-75 (I was 15 in '75) but I have gravitated to early mid-1960's games that reflect (for me) a sort of 'pinnacle' for the game.

To me the 'pinnacle' was an intersection of playfield toy design (e.g., roto-targets, drop targets, in-line kickouts) + bang for buck (e.g., back glass animation, more robust build quality, small aesthetic touches like lights under the top arch, etc) + artwork (I like more of a nostalgia feel, not as big a fan of sci-fi art). I have owned and really liked some mid 70's games, just like these better - currently have:

- 1960 Nags
- 1964 Heat Wave
- 1966 Pitch & Bat (not my favorite baseball art but it has 4 pitch options which I think was the most ever)
- 1967 King of Diamonds
- 1967 Sing Along

I compare the situation to the car market, particularly as it relates to bang for the buck as I think the impact of inflation was similar on both industries - a 1966 Impala is a great car with a lot of bang for the buck, by 1973 the Impala was simply an OK car. That being said my favorite year for cars is probably 1970 but that probably has more to do with fact that my dad had a '70 purple (In-Violet) 383 Cuda'!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heatwave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside