Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinballFever
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0029.JPG
image-1.jpg
armynavy.jpg
PedalPower.jpg
th-1.jpeg
_napalm.jpg
War.jpeg
image.jpg
Image 43.jpg
image.jpg
th.jpeg
BeamMeUp.jpg
WP_20150517_003.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago

oh great... another vulture joins the flock... we are doing WAY too good a job of convincing people to give them a try...

congrats dude... welcome to the em world...

now you need a 2" flipper game...

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I think EM modes are pretty lacking, does anyone know some EMs with a wizard mode? Abra Ca Dabra? Magic City? Surely Bally Wizard?

em's generally have 3 "modes"...

- score enough points to beat the game... whether its aab or replay, the concept is the same...
- light and hit special...
- keep the damn ball in play...

that's plenty... the "keep the damn ball in play" part makes it challenging enough... you will never hear em guys complaining about "too long ball times"...

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Edit- This guy ^^^^^ types faster than I do.

On some it is a much different style of play than modern machines. No ball saves, no restarts, no time outs for DMD animations and some very difficult layouts just to keep the ball in play. Add two inch flippers and tilt ending game and a so called wizard mode boils down to keeping it going as long as you can, getting the highest score possible and winning a free game. Pinball in it's purest form.

i'm 3 hours ahead of you...

but you put it more elegantly than i did... "keep the damn ball in play" is a bit inelegant...

#25 4 years ago

ditto... consider the chain yanked....

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Wish Jacks Open would yell "kickback is lit!!!"

i wish it would yell "yo idiot, don't even think about trying to cradle that ball"...

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A good game is a good game. While it's heartwarming that the op "gets it" I get a little tired of these threads. An EM game can be good?!
Shocker. Also the sky is blue.

aw c'mon levi... no need to be a grinch... the op just lost his virginity...

like aurich, i like reading about people "getting it" (even though it adds another vulture to the flock)...

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Every time I open a thread like this it is like another pinballer is saying "I have finally found happiness"

kinda makes me feel like this...

image.jpg

and yes, that is my 2nd favorite movie of all time, only trailing "casablanca"...

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Review up. Picture posted.
I have a funny feeling somebody is about to blast me for the lighting?image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

it is your machine... if you like it, that is all that matters...

but if you want an opinion? yea, it is a little much...

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

99% of EMs are extrememly unforgiving and MUCH harder for very skilled players to keep the ball in control the vast majority of the time. That is why they are typically great for tournaments and for competitive play in general. Often referred to as "coin flip" games by competitive players.

yes...

in one of the "how to learn to nudge/i suck at nudging" threads, i brought up that the best way to learn how to nudge and control a machine is to get yourself a 1960's em... either you learn to nudge/control the machine, or you never win...

the skills learned on that machine will translate to every pin made since...

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from seven:

It would be cool if Pinside was able to create a ratings list just for EM games.

you mean like this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/em

#116 4 years ago

el toro is a top 10 game folks...

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from seven:

Actually, that's how I feel. I'm a big fan of the 80's era solid state machines. I've sort of discounted EM's because many of the ones I've played have felt slow and kind of dorky. I know a lot of this is due to the condition of the machine - which have always seem a little out of shape.
But if I can find a couple EM titles with good game play, I'm open to getting them. Having a list of the "top" 20-30 at least gives me a starting point of what to consider.
Of course it is all relative on what makes a good game for each individual, but it helps research a title. If 20 people review a game and all say "this game is better suited as a work bench" I probably won't waste the sellers time to go look at it.

the big problem with rating em machines has been alluded to a few times in this thread... for a long time, there were 3 big manufacturers (plus chicago coin, which was still "bigger" than any manufacturer today) cranking out machines.... and they were all cranking them out on pretty much a monthly basis... there are SO MANY em games...

and then there is the differences in gameplay... early 60's game plays a helluva lot different than a mid-70's one... neither is "better", but people have definite preferences...

also, and someone's post in this thread illustrates this, there is a "built in" bias for gtb machines that will likely skew the ratings... i'll admit to liking my wedgies... although there are any number of other machines that are just as fun as have great artwork...

etc.

rating games is hard, man...

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I like the Bang for your Buck list myself.

a good place to start for "bang for your buck" would be "pointy people" williams machines... there are several that i have been told are fun, and they don't command nearly the price as a similar condition wedgehead would...

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's why we have rat...He does all the dirty work.

we thank mother nature for the rat... otherwise, the world would be overrun with trash...

#134 4 years ago

nothin' but rats and vultures over here in em land...

we LIVE to scavenge...

#139 4 years ago

maplesyrup, welcome to the wonderful world of wagering on em games...

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I think it would be really funny to change the middle chime by a semitone so that it makes a minor chord instead. I think that simple change would really freak people out.

if you threw a diatonic semitone at the middle chime, it would certainly get my attention...

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Would anyone buy a PM (Purely Mechanical) from the early 30's?

yup... i would... i have one on my wish list...

edit: one of these days i'm gonna be mobile enough to make it over to znet's to play his...

armynavy.jpg

$44.50 when new.... VERY VERY VERY hard to find now, and well more than $44.50...

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I'm on the lookout for some working pure mechanical games in my price range ($300-2500). The only one I found easily was $4500 fully restored Worlds' Series My dream is for Day 1 Pinball to remake one of the complex 1930s PMs. NIB Rockola Jigsaw for $3000 would be a no brainer for me.

yea, the "good ones" are ungodly expensive...

that would be SWEET if they tried to pull off one of those...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside