Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinballFever
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0029.JPG
image-1.jpg
armynavy.jpg
PedalPower.jpg
th-1.jpeg
_napalm.jpg
War.jpeg
image.jpg
Image 43.jpg
image.jpg
th.jpeg
BeamMeUp.jpg
WP_20150517_003.jpg

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 4 years ago

The lists are so skewed by so many things- any game on the list has as much chance as any other at being your favorite.

#202 4 years ago

EL TORO GREAT BECAUSE IT WAS FROM BASKIN ROBBINS WHERE I HAD MY FIRST MALTED MILKSHAKE! I FOUND A DUSTY ONE FROM PAWN SHOP FOR $50 BECAUSE NO ONE PLAYED IT AND SMELT LIKE OLD TOBACCY PIPES. GREAT GAME!!! 10 STAR GAME!!!!!

(actually, I understand and empathize with the pinball glee... just wish the ratings leaned more towards critical praise than "I like mine")

I will consider IPDB ratings broken until there is a bigger spread between Big Ben and Slick Chick... which is currently about 1 point on a 10 point scale.

ath0
no carrier

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

ath0
no carrier

+++
OK
AT&F0
OK
ATI3

???????????? <<---- this is your cue
OK

(never seen a chipset that didn't return in caps... Ti, Rockwell, etc.)

signed,
NO DIALTONE

whoops, ATX4 was set.

#204 4 years ago

I wouldn't mind playing El Toro again. Where's Cactus Jack when you need him?

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't mind playing El Toro again. Where's Cactus Jack when you need him?

Local EM arcade just got one in great shape, quick walk through the woods from here. I'll share, since I intend on putting a couple hours on it this weekend.

WP_20150517_003.jpg
#206 4 years ago

JQ is still seeing a ton of play here. It hasn't diminished my love of modern games one iota though. It's like an awesome palette cleanser between high intensity DMD battles. After a serious session of MET (complete with Aurich's Hammer of Justice of course!) or STLE, you have a quick Toonie throw down on JQ. Toonie's are Canadian 2 dollar coins btw.

Winner takes the bunch! Took a great suggestion from Bowen, and sometimes we just play for monkeys. Score is unimportant. Best of 50 monkeys takes the prize. Once you knock down 10 monkeys, you walk away and let the ball drain... It's badass!

#207 4 years ago

EM's are a different way to play and really add variety to your line up and pinball playing skill set. Also if you watch any show or movie you know they are all really EM's.

#208 4 years ago

My favorite is probably the late EM Williams Grand Prix. Play is fun enough to make you keep feeding the machine quarters when you drain that last ball. Plus I'm partial to any car/racing themes, though I put focus on gameplay.

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

EM's are a different way to play and really add variety to your line up and pinball playing skill set. Also if you watch any show or movie you know they are all really EM's.

Here's an analogy I like to use:

EM's are like Pac-Man – charming but challenging, lo-fi, small-scale puzzle-based games with short play times. DMD's are more like Call of Duty – often with epic stories, cinematic sound and light shows, a much more complex and bombastic game experience where single games can last 30 minutes or more.

Both are fun, both use the same basic format (flippers and a ball/joystick and a screen) but they offer vastly different gaming experiences. People often have preferences for one or the other, but I think that a collection that includes both EM's and DMD's is a well-rounded one.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I think that a collection that includes both EM's and DMD's is a well-rounded one.

I agree. Except I am finding that the more EMs there are to play, the less the DMD machines are even getting turned on. So be it....

#211 4 years ago

I have finally reached the point where most of my collection is now EM. And that percentage is steadily rising as there is really no need to get any more newer games. At least not here.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I agree. Except I am finding that the more EMs there are to play, the less the DMD machines are even getting turned on. So be it....

Here as well! I find it a little funny that one wants to play a 30 minute game on a game of the same playfield dimensions as an EM. I know deeper rulesets take more time to explore but how many repetitive shots do you need before you're bored out of your mind!

#213 4 years ago

Atdt 605-390-****

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

Atdt 605-390-****

who's in Rapid City?

+++
OK
ATH0

OK

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

who's in Rapid City?
+++
OK
ATH0
OK

C3PO and R2D2

#216 4 years ago

Fcng-inoFDS...

#217 4 years ago

If you look at my previously owned list,

And browse my current collection list, (which i will try to update tonight) LOL

you will see what games i have had, and i must say, EM's are taking my attention to a new level now !

my collection will be mostly focused on EM's now as i start collecting again.

not to mention i think i will be heading down the Bally Williams road now.. Recel, and playmatic too..

Time to try different stuff..

Some EM's have OUTSTANDING rulesets that just keep ya hitting that button one more time...

And thats what pinball should be like, especially in a home enviroment..

#218 4 years ago

Save me a few old Bally machines. Don't get people overly excited about them. Let the current EM crowd stay in Gottlieb land. Let the SS and DMD crowd stay where they are.

#219 4 years ago

Went to VFW with open mind to play some of newer games.Played Tron and Ironman. Ok games but wouldnt get much play at my house. I hate newer games that have so many ramps that you cant even see playfield. Cue ball Wizard worst game ever. You hit ball up towards top and let it do its thing even though you have no idea what its doing because there is so much crap in the way.Guess im showing my age but give me EM best games ever made.

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Save me a few old Bally machines. Don't get people overly excited about them. Let the current EM crowd stay in Gottlieb land. Let the SS and DMD crowd stay where they are.

Haha, I had a similar thought the other day. Thank goodness a number of machines I would love to have in my basement aren't the ones being snapped up by [edit: everyone else]. (Trying to avoid disparaging remarks, a sign of Internet burnout resulting in uncharacteristic politeness.)

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from heatwave:

Totally agree. And maybe even a little guilty of giving me games higher ratings. But I have also rated a few games that I have owned (like Jack's Open, Royal Flush) as only OK.
My approach is to focus on the descriptions and try to piece together your own summary from looking at all the reviews for a game. You can usually get a sense of those who truly know the game vs. those going from memory or worse, downgrading a game so their makes the "top 10". As always, no substitute for playing.
There used to be a reviewer who had 100's of reviews and they were very well written. I can't recall his name but a few years ago I think he got upset about all the gamesmanship going on with reviews and pulled all of his. It was a loss - If I had known it was going to happen I would have printed them out before he took them down!

Don't worry... I'm sure he'll be back, like so many times before.

Just watch for somebody with a ridiculous total... and talking about himself in the third person.

#222 4 years ago

As I get older, I appreciate the older games more. When I first started collecting back in the 90s, all I wanted was the newest and greatest. But now, I have an eclectic collection covering everything from the 70s to 2010s.

I find the older games have a personality that is very different from modern games and its a refreshing change of pace.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

As I get older, I appreciate the older games more. When I first started collecting back in the 90s, all I wanted was the newest and greatest. But now, I have an eclectic collection covering everything from the 70s to 2010s.
I find the older games have a personality that is very different from modern games and its a refreshing change of pace.

I seem to fall into that same category.

I remember reading somewhere (I think it was The Pinball Compendium 1930's-1960's) about woodrails refereed to as being made in "The Golden age of Pinball" and thinking... yeah, riiiight!

But now as I'm being exposed to them more and more and discovering just the higher level of skill and finesse needed to play them (and the superior artwork, of course) I find myself changing my tune and thinking it 'was' the golden age of pinball.

#224 4 years ago

Nah there were multiple golden ages...

Woodrails
Wedgeheads
Add-A-Balls
Early Bally SS
Williams system 11
1993 peak of the market modern era

I'm sure I missed a few!

#225 4 years ago
Quoted from Shannyman:

You hit ball up towards top and let it do its thing even though you have no idea what its doing because there is so much crap in the way.Guess im showing my age but give me EM best games ever made.

Exactly how I feel when I play one of the newer games...

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Early Bally SS ...

I'd extend that to include all SS from 78-83.

Classic Bally, Williams and Sterns are pretty amazing.
Gottlieb 80s are also bad ass.

Marcus

#227 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

Woodrails
Wedgeheads
Add-A-Balls
Early Bally SS
Williams system 11
1993 peak of the market modern era
I'm sure I missed a few!

I think you might be missing the... concept... of "the golden age" : )

#228 4 years ago

Well, I'm still in the "appreciate but never own" camp on woodrails. The manual ball release turns me off for some reason. Just a little too manual for me. Plus the game play is still a bit slow compared to later EMs.

I start liking stuff in the wedgehead era.

#229 4 years ago

It took me a long, long, long time to warm up to EMs. But now I'm in the camp where they can be very awesome.

Originally I was going to have at least one game from each decade plus a lot of the newer DMD games, but now I'm probably going to split my games equally between EMs, Non-DMD Solid State, and DMD games.

EMs still kick my ass in tourneys though, but I'm getting better.

Right now the only EM I have in my collection is an A-Go-Go which I believe was the first to have a roulette wheel in it. It is a brutal mistress. During league one night at my house I got 72 total points on a 5 ball game. Just kicked my ass. So much so that we had to get a photo with me and the scores. Everyone else had 2k-4k in points.

#230 4 years ago

I wasn't always into EM's... used to strongly prefer newer games at System 11 generation and beyond. But, somewhere along the way they hooked me. Now it's the other way around: I play mostly EM's, some mid-generation SS, and only a few modern ones.

When EM's grab you, it happens slowly. I recognize "that" look in the player's eyes when it happens. My brother doesn't get to play much pinball so he prefers the modern ones when he has the opportunity. But last visit to TPF he told me he played Mata Hari several times... "I was getting into that game. Something was different about it."

muah hah hah... it begins

#231 4 years ago

It's funny how perception seems to be fairly common in that 50's woodrails are slow and boring.

My 1954 Mystic Marvel has more 'one more go' appeal than any other game I have owned. Yes, it is slower but it always makes you think you are close to winning due to the 'multiple ways to win' strategy of these mid 1950's games.

These games must have taken so much cash back in the day. Always close but never quite there. Classic Gottlieb but more so in the 50's due to so many ways of winning.

And then there are the jackpot games of the 50's.....

#232 4 years ago

I started with an EM and have gone full circle back to all EM's I don't dislike modern games and I have fun playing them at other collectors places but I just flat out love everything about an EM.

#233 4 years ago

I may be sick, but I think I enjoy fixing EM's even more than playing them......

#234 4 years ago

Jungle Queen's a great game. I've been thinking about adding an EM too for variety.

#235 4 years ago

For me the appeal of an EM (or an early SS) compared to a current machine is the difference between a fist fight and a chess match. Sometimes I want to walk up to a machine and just see "how long I can stay in the ring". No thinking, just skills and reflexes, working the machine to the best of my ability.

#236 4 years ago

I S#!T EM's now...

i used to think they were good storage containers, workbenches, or kindling ...

WOW i'm glad i saw the light...

something about them, that i never got before has got me hooked !

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

I S#!T EM's now...
i used to think they were good storage containers, workbenches, or kindling ...
WOW i'm glad i saw the light...
something about them, that i never got before has got me hooked !

I am very happy that the EM light shined on you! Now the beam will take you straight up to another planet! Enjoy the ride!

#238 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Now the beam will take you straight up to another planet!

BeamMeUp.jpg

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from unionrunner:

For me the appeal of an EM (or an early SS) compared to a current machine is the difference between a fist fight and a chess match.

Playing one of the newer electronic games makes me feel like a passive observer while watching the ball(s) in the upper playfield where with an EM I feel like I'm actively dancing with it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
$ 25.00
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rogersville, MO
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Billings, MT
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 1,000.00
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 16.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside