_napalm.jpg
War.jpeg
image.jpg
Image 43.jpg
image.jpg
th.jpeg
BeamMeUp.jpg
WP_20150517_003.jpg

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I think EM modes are pretty lacking, does anyone know some EMs with a wizard mode? Abra Ca Dabra? Magic City? Surely Bally Wizard?

I think Ballyhoo has the best Wizard mode of it’s era! Did you find one yet?

#52 8 years ago

Congrats and welcome to club EM!

Ken

#53 8 years ago

Remember, your initiation into the club means you need to post pics of that game, and then write a review and rate it . Right Rat?

#54 8 years ago

Yeah all new members have to review and rate their EMs to be officially "pimped".

#55 8 years ago

There is nothing like a good playing EM. I just finally got my Target Alpha up and running 100.0% and it is waxed and playing great. It calls me back for just one more game...

The skills that you gain in nudging an EM translate to playing SS and DMD games to. I know that I am at my best when I play an equal balance of eras to focus on slightly different skills. The top players are also a perfect example of this. Keith Elwin and Bowen are known for insane scores on ACDC or Fish Tales, but they are certainly no pushovers on EMs. Being well rounded makes you a better player from every era.

#56 8 years ago

Hey John, I see you have a 69 College Queens. What is that game like?

#57 8 years ago

I don't know whether a 1935 PAMCO (Pacific Amusement Co.) Major League falls under the EM ambit when it undergoes the common conversion from its original dry cell battery design or whether it remains in the prewar pre-flipper pinball category. In any event, as a mostly EM guy with a marked admiration of many prewar games, I would be equally pleased to read a thread entitled: Why would ANYBODY get a flipperless game??!!

In reality, most of the current devices employed on modern pinball machines (e.g. overhead ramps, kickers, subways, diverters, multipliers, messenger balls, lane change features) can be found on the prewar games. While some prewar games are primitive, others are sophisticated in design and execution. Still other prewar games, like Rockola's Army & Navy, World's Series and Jigsaw, are utterly ingenious.

I would venture to wager that many enthusiasts who enjoy the vintage '50s, '60s or '70s electromechanical games would be drawn to some of the prewar games for the same reasons that they love the EMs currently in their collections. PAMCO's Major League has a subway system under the playfield which feeds balls to the pitcher's mound. Kickers advance the balls on each base. Every plunger shot is a skill shot. . .every single one.
Image 43.jpgImage 43.jpg

#58 8 years ago

I have a beautiful EM and if someone is 8 or 80 and wants to play pinball, the EM wins all the time.

#59 8 years ago

8 or 80 huh? What about if they are 40?

#60 8 years ago

I will get on that rating and picture post!

#61 8 years ago

Review up. Picture posted.

I have a funny feeling somebody is about to blast me for the lighting?image.jpgimage.jpg

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I don't know whether a 1935 PAMCO (Pacific Amusement Co.) Major League falls under the EM ambit when it undergoes the common conversion from its original dry cell battery design or whether it remains in the prewar pre-flipper pinball category. In any event, as a mostly EM guy with a marked admiration of many prewar games, I would be equally pleased to read a thread entitled: Why would ANYBODY get a flipperless game??!!
In reality, most of the current devices employed on modern pinball machines (e.g. overhead ramps, kickers, subways, diverters, multipliers, messenger balls, lane change features) can be found on the prewar games. While some prewar games are primitive, others are sophisticated in design and execution. Still other prewar games, like Rockola's Army & Navy, World's Series and Jigsaw, are utterly ingenious.
I would venture to wager that many enthusiasts who enjoy the vintage '50s, '60s or '70s electromechanical games would be drawn to some of the prewar games for the same reasons that they love the EMs currently in their collections. PAMCO's Major League has a subway system under the playfield which feeds balls to the pitcher's mound. Kickers advance the balls on each base. Every plunger shot is a skill shot. . .every single one.
Image 43.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That looks totally amazing. I would love to try one of those.

#63 8 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Hey John, I see you have a 69 College Queens. What is that game like?

Funny you should ask. I did not expect to like the game, but I really do. I rescued it from a hoarder who had it in his living room for 30 years and it was completely plugged with dust and cigarette smoke. After a lot of cleaning and hard work it is now clean and working 100%. The gameplay is surprisingly fun and challenging. It is also a great party game with 4 players. I brought it to the Florida APE show earlier this year and it was used in the main tournament. The players all seemed to love it and gave good feedback. It worked really well as a tournament game because the rules are balanced and fair and good play along with good nudging is rewarded.

The gameplay also involves strategy. There are very few rules. Basically the further you get into the game the more is lit. On the first ball all of the rollovers are worth 50 points except one that is worth 300. By the time you get to ball 5 everything is worth 300. In the mean time there are two vari-targets that can be worth 500 points with a full hit to the back. These of course are a great risk for that reward. So my strategy is to go for the vari-targets more on the early balls and by the time ball 5 arrives I am strictly trying to get the ball back to the top.

Finally I should mention that it is a rush to smash a vari-target to the hilt and hear the big bell get smacked 5 times.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I have a funny feeling somebody is about to blast me for the lighting

I love LEDs more than most. I tried to LED a 1947 United Mexico. It was absolutely horrible, but I had to try. You have to do what makes you happy even if it looks terrible.

#65 8 years ago

My only EM is a Gottlieb Big Hit, which is a baseball-themed wedgehead. I played it at CAX in 2009 and *had* to have one. There was no shortage of pins at CAX, but that's the one I immediately began searching the country for.

Dan

#66 8 years ago

Damn, I clicked on this to see the war. I'm disappointed.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I love LEDs more than most. I tried to LED a 1947 United Mexico. It was absolutely horrible, but I had to try. You have to do what makes you happy even if it looks terrible.

This one came this way, and it makes me exceedingly happy!

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I have a funny feeling somebody is about to blast me for the lighting?image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I can't fault you. To each their own. I am just happy you joined the EM gang.

John, I will have to play a game of it. It looks very simpleton but looks are deceiving when you dive into certain games. It is what happened to me when I first played Surf Side.

#69 8 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

LOL!! I clicked on this thinkin' I was gonna need some popcorn...good one!! I just added my 3rd EM (running I have a 4th, but it is still in need of some MAJOR TLC!! before I can actually bring it into the lineup) You will have to stop over (hopefully in June) and play some!!
Phoebe

That would be great!

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Damn, I clicked on this to see the war. I'm disappointed.

Happy now?
War.jpegWar.jpeg

#71 8 years ago

Hey, congrats Maple!
It's always fun to get a new pin.
: )

#72 8 years ago

I had a JQ for a while and loved it. One of the better playing multi player gottliebs. I only let it go because I had the opportunity to trade for a couple of project wedgeheads.

Congrats!

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I have a funny feeling somebody is about to blast me for the lighting?image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

it is your machine... if you like it, that is all that matters...

but if you want an opinion? yea, it is a little much...

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

it is your machine... if you like it, that is all that matters...
but if you want an opinion? yea, it is a little much...

Opinions are like EMs. Everybody's got one!

#75 8 years ago

99% of EMs are extrememly unforgiving and MUCH harder for very skilled players to keep the ball in control the vast majority of the time. That is why they are typically great for tournaments and for competitive play in general. Often referred to as "coin flip" games by competitive players.

#76 8 years ago

I will say this. In person, it doesn't look nearly as rainbow coloured. It actually looks pretty classy. I think my iPhone really enhances the colour hues.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd agree with you if you didn't have certain people loudly exclaiming all the time that EMs are dumb and anyone who likes them is braindead. So I actually enjoy seeing people learning to appreciate them.

Well yeah, but it's a little insulting to people who actually like pinball when a DMD newbie deigns to generously dole out some love to EMs like they are doing us all some kind of a favor.

"Let them eat EMs!"

Bah humbug!!! (wait..that's not the grinch is it?)

#78 8 years ago

Does anyone know when the last EM was released? I think it was 1976 but I could be wrong.

#79 8 years ago

Gottlieb had some EM versions of SS games in 1979 like Space Walk and Solar Ride. Some bingos in 1979/1980 too.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Does anyone know when the last EM was released? I think it was 1976 but I could be wrong.

Bally had a EM bingo in 1980 http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3481

Williams until 1977
Gottlieb until 1979
Zaccaria until 1978
Chicago Coin until 1977
Stern until 1977
Playmatic until 1977
Segasa until 1977

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I think EM modes are pretty lacking, does anyone know some EMs with a wizard mode? Abra Ca Dabra? Magic City? Surely Bally Wizard?

Really for me the best em's with wizard modes are the 50's woodrails.

Depending how you define wizard mode of course. But a lot of the games there are multiple ways to win, culminating in jackpots/wizard type modes.

Sweet Add A Line, complete the game and you win 26 replays/specials in one go!

Frontiersman - get as far as completing the red sequence and hit the gobble hole for 10 specials jackpot.

The best em rules were in games from around 1952 - 1955 and from there rule sets got shallower and shallower.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

That would be great!

Will be awesome if you can make it!

Phoebe

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

99% of EMs are extrememly unforgiving and MUCH harder for very skilled players to keep the ball in control the vast majority of the time. That is why they are typically great for tournaments and for competitive play in general. Often referred to as "coin flip" games by competitive players.

yes...

in one of the "how to learn to nudge/i suck at nudging" threads, i brought up that the best way to learn how to nudge and control a machine is to get yourself a 1960's em... either you learn to nudge/control the machine, or you never win...

the skills learned on that machine will translate to every pin made since...

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yes...
in one of the "how to learn to nudge/i suck at nudging" threads, i brought up that the best way to learn how to nudge and control a machine is to get yourself a 1960's em... either you learn to nudge/control the machine, or you never win...
the skills learned on that machine will translate to every pin made since...

All of us in EM land know that you can learn the nuances of your machines very quickly and nudging and timing become easier and easier. Here's a lesson in nudging 101 and my spanking the North Star

https://vimeo.com/124162870

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well yeah, but it's a little insulting to people who actually like pinball when a DMD newbie deigns to generously dole out some love to EMs like they are doing us all some kind of a favor.
"Let them eat EMs!"
Bah humbug!!! (wait..that's not the grinch is it?)

Person A: "Hey, this thing you guys are in to is really cool!"
Person B: "Take a hike asshole, we already know it's cool, we don't need some jackass who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground to tell us what's cool.
Person A: "I was just trying to be sociable"
Person B: "Fu$K off, and let me enjoy my urine soaked Cornflakes DMD Newbie"
Person A: "le sigh"

#86 8 years ago

After our first league night with quite a few beginner players my friend who has all DMD games said to me that he didn't think everyone would have as much fun playing his games than they did playing mine. He said that the EM games are easier to learn and understand than his modern DMD games and felt that most of our new players might be intimidated by them.

I got into EM's by accident. I bought one to gut it and turn it into a virtual pinball. I ended up loading the virtual version of that game (Aztec) on my computer and played it and liked it so much that I spent a year trying to find another project machine so I could get it playing again.

What I like about them is they ARE pinball. Skill AND luck. It seems modern pinball design is all about predictable shots and if the ball has any sort of random return to the flippers then it's bad design. They seem to try to take all the luck out of them. Modern pinball seems to be more about skill and knowledge and if you don't know all the rules you can't compete at the same level as someone with the same skill and more game knowledge.

I'll always have EM's in my lineup and I'll NEVER sell my ACD.

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

Here's a lesson in nudging 101 and my spanking the North Star

Nudge my North Star like that and the Tilt would end the game. Time to tighten that tilt setting and then score 1500+.

#88 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Person A: "Hey, this thing you guys are in to is really cool!"
Person B: "Take a hike asshole, we already know it's cool, we don't need some jackass who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground to tell us what's cool.
Person A: "I was just trying to be sociable"
Person B: "Fu$K off, and let me enjoy my urine soaked Cornflakes DMD Newbie"
Person A: "le sigh"

Welcome to pinside. Especially recently.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

It seems modern pinball design is all about predictable shots and if the ball has any sort of random return to the flippers then it's bad design. They seem to try to take all the luck out of them. Modern pinball seems to be more about skill and knowledge and if you don't know all the rules you can't compete at the same level as someone with the same skill and more game knowledge.

I agree 100%. I have several DMD games that I still don't know 100% (TSPP). Between ways to exploit the scoring, 5-way combos and stacking, if you don't know the ins and outs you won't do very well in competition.

Walk up to an EM, and in 5 seconds, you can explain all the rules. A minute to learn...a lifetime to master.

#90 8 years ago

Jungle Princess/Queen is a great game, it's the preferred EM for folks playing my machines. I added my rating for the game recently, do the same.

Not crazy about your LED setup, the game is pretty as is. Maybe looks better in person?

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

I agree 100%. I have several DMD games that I still don't know 100% (TSPP). Between ways to exploit the scoring, 5-way combos and stacking, if you don't know the ins and outs you won't do very well in competition.
Walk up to an EM, and in 5 seconds, you can explain all the rules. A minute to learn...a lifetime to master.

Hell, most of the instructions are painted on the playfield

#92 8 years ago

I think a better question would be: Why WOULDN'T anybody want an EM??!!

Unfortunately, there's an 'answer' to that (hate to say it) Probably the biggest enemy of an EM... is it not being shopped out and set up right. Now, I know this has been covered before... but I feel it is worth mentioning again because of its great importance and relevance to this post.

I will recount this story again to put it into perspective... a friend of mine who is really into EM's like me, went to a well-known arcade not that long ago. Some time afterwards he told me.... that the EM's were playing soooo baaad... that even HE hated them.

I'm not so sure these places don't do more 'damage' than good. Sure... it exposes a lot of people to EM's, that haven't 'played' them before... but the 'opinion' they form of them afterwards, far outweighs their being able to try them out.

Sadly, this happens way too much... and people get the idea that 'all' EM's are that way.

#93 8 years ago

The smell is awesome... dtown, you must be old. me too, my kids say eeeeewwwww!!! that stinks.
I say Roses! lets play EM pinball!
And for the standups, everybody that has a bad ball on an SS game says, only 3 million points on that ball? bummer.
I had a bad ball playin 8 Ball and scored...12...

#94 8 years ago

When I open up my spare bedroom it smells like an old antique furniture store. I love this smell!

_napalm.jpg_napalm.jpg
#95 8 years ago
Quoted from Dr_of_Style:

The smell is awesome... dtown, you must be old. me too, my kids say eeeeewwwww!!! that stinks.
I say Roses! lets play EM pinball!

Same here. The smell takes me back to when I was a kid "helping" my dad work on his machines.

I like both EMs and SS games, but I'll say the good about EMs for this thread.

As someone mentioned earlier, they're good for multiplayer games.
The combined sound of several EMs being played at the same time is a great sound (SS have good sounds but NOT together).
EMs are better if you're listening to a jukebox in the background.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I think it looks good!

I saw a youtube video where the man dressed up an old Chicago Coin game with LEDs. He had bulbs behind the title in the backglass that flashed and were color changers. I was more impressed with the high flash rate than the color changes.

#97 8 years ago

Just picked up on Sat, a '63 Williams TomTom, been in their home sense the early '70's. It's my 5 or 6 EM.

#98 8 years ago

Would be cool if it had also been in THEIR home SINCE the early 70s.

#99 8 years ago

The art is cool. Love some themes.

My draw?

It's a cool analog computer.

It's logic you can see and feel.

You can program a group of chips to do anything, but the sheer genius that went into designing an EM is incredible in my mind.

And you can fix just about anything with a few tools, the schematic, and some perseverance.

Plus friends on Pinside.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

I got Gottlieb putting out EM's to 77.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-anybody-get-an-em/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.