Topic Stats

• 239 posts
  • 84 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by PinballFever
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0029.JPG
image-1.jpg
armynavy.jpg
PedalPower.jpg
th-1.jpeg
_napalm.jpg
War.jpeg
image.jpg
Image 43.jpg
image.jpg
th.jpeg
BeamMeUp.jpg
WP_20150517_003.jpg

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 4 years ago

Does it have anything to do with the fact that their simplicity is super appealing, artwork is awesome, gameplay is super fun, and price point makes the dollar to fun ratio astronomical??!!

I just added a Jungle Queen to my lineup of mostly modern pins, and I couldn't be happier!

I'm not sure if it's a permanent keeper, but I'm thinking I'll have at least one EM in my lineup from now on.

Hey EM dudes... I get it.

#2 4 years ago

Some EM's are cool to play others not so. It really depends on theme and art for me. The earliest I would personally go is early SS. I keep a Xenon in my lineup.

#3 4 years ago

Don't forget the fact that many EMs just sound better than their modern brethren.

Congrats on the Jungle Queen!

Marcus

#4 4 years ago

The title of this thread is pure click bait. I love it. Congrats on the new pin. HNPD ( Happy New Pin Day).

#5 4 years ago

oh great... another vulture joins the flock... we are doing WAY too good a job of convincing people to give them a try...

congrats dude... welcome to the em world...

now you need a 2" flipper game...

#6 4 years ago

Jungle Queen is an excellent title if you've only got one.

#7 4 years ago

I like many of the sounds, artwork, and several EM's have fun and challenging designs. I've owned Fireball, Surf Champ, and Hang Glider. Loved playing and owning each, but wasn't very good at repairs or diagnosing the more complex issues.

#8 4 years ago

Nice find! My first pin was a Jungle Queen....and a Mata Hari. It now resides at Clay's VFW.

#9 4 years ago

Really enjoying the Sing Along I picked up recently. Has to leave soon to fund the hobby, but very challenging.

#10 4 years ago

Couldn't tell you exactly why, except for all of the above! Congrats! But watch out- they multiply much faster than any of the others.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Don't forget the fact that many EMs just sound better than their modern brethren.
Congrats on the Jungle Queen!
Marcus

The sound is a HUGE part of the appeal. There is just something incredibly soothing about chimes. Really enjoying it. I'm sure the new pin excitement will die down... it always does. I will say this though, I got a WH2O at the same time... and I haven't even TOUCHED it!

#12 4 years ago

I think EM modes are pretty lacking, does anyone know some EMs with a wizard mode? Abra Ca Dabra? Magic City? Surely Bally Wizard?

#13 4 years ago

I find them more relaxing to play. You don't have the twitch mechanics of the slings or a complicated rule set, etc. I hated EM's but after I won an EM tournament I have been in love with them ever since. In fact I own a Space Mission.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I think EM modes are pretty lacking, does anyone know some EMs with a wizard mode? Abra Ca Dabra? Magic City? Surely Bally Wizard?

Fast Draw?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

They are surely lacking in wizard modes... But I have 11 others. Some with the deepest code ever made. An EM is a great addition to a collection. It's a whole different style of play.

I truly didn't think it would be for me, but picked it up in a package, and I'm totally hooked. My 15 year old son is loving it too. He holds the house high score on our WOZ too. He's a really good pinball player, and he's really digging the JQ.

I have always admired them from an artistic standpoint, but never thought I'd own one. Now that I do, there's no going back. Wait, having an EM is by it's very nature, "going back". Never going forward?! No, that's not right.

After playing some crazy adrenaline fuelled triple stacked multiball ACDC action, JQ is like a nice palette cleanser between courses!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

em's generally have 3 "modes"...

- score enough points to beat the game... whether its aab or replay, the concept is the same...
- light and hit special...
- keep the damn ball in play...

that's plenty... the "keep the damn ball in play" part makes it challenging enough... you will never hear em guys complaining about "too long ball times"...

#17 4 years ago

Edit- This guy ^^^^^ types faster than I do.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

I think EM modes are pretty lacking, does anyone know some EMs with a wizard mode?

On some it is a much different style of play than modern machines. No ball saves, no restarts, no time outs for DMD animations and some very difficult layouts just to keep the ball in play. Add two inch flippers and tilt ending game and a so called wizard mode boils down to keeping it going as long as you can, getting the highest score possible and winning a free game. Pinball in it's purest form.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Hey MapleSyrup,

It is cool to see collectors go down the same path as I did. I started down this road not understanding what the appeal was. Modern DMDs were the shit, and everything else was just boring.

Now, I have a permanent spot open for one EM. And right now, I actually have 2 (sing along and slick chick)

For me, the appeal has many points.

1. Art. It is a slice of americana art from a simpler time. And, each artist has their own style to appreciate.
2. Game time. You don't have to wait FOREVER for your friends and family to finish these monster balls filled with multiball after multiball. If you are playing a game with them, everyone can gather around and watch, because you will likely be playing your next ball shortly.
3. Sometimes less is more. EMs can have a surprisingly fun ruleset, and difficult shots. The games I picked (slick chick and sing along) are certainly proof of that. Simple goals that are difficult to achieve keep you coming back for more.
4. The Technology is COOOL! This was the technology used to get us to the moon. Just showing my family what is under that playfield is pretty awe inspiring, especially when I tell them that I know what it all does, and can fix it when it breaks down.

Jungle Queen was a great choice! Nothing like knocking down some Monkeys.

Bowen likes it, so you know it's cool!

http://papa.org/2012/12/03/jungle-queen-tutorial-2/

#19 4 years ago

A good game is a good game. While it's heartwarming that the op "gets it" I get a little tired of these threads. An EM game can be good?!

Shocker. Also the sky is blue.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

On some it is a much different style of play than modern machines. No ball saves, no restarts, no time outs for DMD animations and some very difficult layouts just to keep the ball in play. Add two inch flippers and tilt ending game and a so called wizard mode boils down to keeping it going as long as you can, getting the highest score possible and winning a free game. Pinball in it's purest form.

Man I was making a joke about wizard modes and listed a bunch of pins related to magic

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A good game is a good game. While it's heartwarming that the op "gets it" I get a little tired of these threads. An EM game can be good?!

I'd agree with you if you didn't have certain people loudly exclaiming all the time that EMs are dumb and anyone who likes them is braindead. So I actually enjoy seeing people learning to appreciate them.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Man I was making a joke about wizard modes and listed a bunch of pins related to magic

FWIW I got it.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Silly me.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

i'm 3 hours ahead of you...

but you put it more elegantly than i did... "keep the damn ball in play" is a bit inelegant...

#25 4 years ago

ditto... consider the chain yanked....

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No ball saves

Wish Jacks Open would yell "kickback is lit!!!"

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Wish Jacks Open would yell "kickback is lit!!!"

i wish it would yell "yo idiot, don't even think about trying to cradle that ball"...

#28 4 years ago

Congrats on the Jungle Queen. EM's are "so simple but yet so hard to beat"...... You can't beat Gottlieb's chime unit either for the sound.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

aw c'mon levi... no need to be a grinch... the op just lost his virginity...

like aurich, i like reading about people "getting it" (even though it adds another vulture to the flock)...

#30 4 years ago

The art is cool. Love some themes.

My draw?

It's a cool analog computer.

It's logic you can see and feel.

You can program a group of chips to do anything, but the sheer genius that went into designing an EM is incredible in my mind.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

like aurich, i like reading about people "getting it" (even though it adds another vulture to the flock)...

Hey, those El Toros aren't going to sell themselves!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Does it have anything to do with the fact that their simplicity is super appealing, artwork is awesome, gameplay is super fun, and price point makes the dollar to fun ratio astronomical??!!
I just added a Jungle Queen to my lineup of mostly modern pins, and I couldn't be happier!
I'm not sure if it's a permanent keeper, but I'm thinking I'll have at least one EM in my lineup from now on.

LOL!! I clicked on this thinkin' I was gonna need some popcorn...good one!! I just added my 3rd EM (running I have a 4th, but it is still in need of some MAJOR TLC!! before I can actually bring it into the lineup) You will have to stop over (hopefully in June) and play some!!

Phoebe

#33 4 years ago

Congratulations on discovering EMs and giving one a chance. Welcome to the EM forums. We welcome you and if you have any questions just ask us. You will shortly want to add another. It's amazing when you have the right EM title with fresh rubbers, 3 coats of wax and dialed in at the right pitch. It's always saddening when people "don't get" EMs. Most (not all) ended up playing some bad title EM title, unshopped with old rubber, planked out / worn playfields, crusty old ball and set up not only unevenly but at a horrible pitch that makes the ball hover. Most of these machines were played at a pinball festival. These machines are brought because they were cheap and they got someone in for free. I take 100% pride in providing the best possible example of an EM that I can bring to a show or have friends come over and play. There are good and bad titles in EMs, SS and DMDs.

#34 4 years ago

The art is cool. Love some themes.

My draw?

It's a cool analog computer.

It's logic you can see and feel.

You can program a group of chips to do anything, but the sheer genius that went into designing an EM is incredible in my mind.

And you can fix just about anything with a few tools, the schematic, and some perseverance.

Plus friends on Pinside.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, those El Toros aren't going to sell themselves!

They do down in El Toro!

th.jpeg

#36 4 years ago

Because they are so damn simple and so damn hard.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'll take one of these threads a week over the others that happen 4 times a day.
"What will the next game be?"
"Is this title the next game?"
"Oh man I hope they make a machine out of ___"
"Sitting in my basement I've come up with a list of things that should be done to this game and I will list them all for you now."

etc

#37 4 years ago

you forgot "will a pin fit in this type of car"
"jersey jack sucks, and stern is awesome"
"stern sucks, and jersey jack is awesome"

oh wait, you have the etc. you did catch them all

#38 4 years ago

Or what game is the most brutal or has the shortest ball times.... I just can't get enough of those threads.

#39 4 years ago

Maybe this isn't the right place, but what would you guys think about LOTR VE?

#40 4 years ago

What's a VE? Some kind of a rash?

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Maybe this isn't the right place, but what would you guys think about LOTR VE?

Unless it has some 2 inch flippers, chime box or 1/10 pt and 100 pt bells...then you are asking in the wrong thread.

...I can see it now LOTR EM edition. Longer ball times than C37.

#42 4 years ago

Every time I open a thread like this it is like another pinballer is saying "I have finally found happiness"

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Unless it has some 2 inch flippers, chime box or 1/10 pt and 100 pt bells...then you are asking in the wrong thread.
...I can see it now LOTR EM edition. Longer ball times than C37.

An EM version of a SS game, even super simplified, is an awesome idea. I would preorder LOTR EM in a heartbeat.

Instead of different modes like Ringwraiths, Gandalf vs Saruman, Wargs, Shelob, Ents, and Witchking you could have like 10 points but 100 points when lit.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

An EM version of a SS game, even super simplified, is an awesome idea. I would preorder LOTR EM in a heartbeat.

Now that I think of it...that would be awesome!

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Every time I open a thread like this it is like another pinballer is saying "I have finally found happiness"

kinda makes me feel like this...

image.jpg

and yes, that is my 2nd favorite movie of all time, only trailing "casablanca"...

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jeez... GrumpyLevi more like! Haha. Just being silly

Yes, things that you already know are obvious... To you!

I personally have always enjoyed EMs. Whenever I have visited a large collection, I gravitate to EMs and early SS, because it's not what I've had in my basement. I had a genuine appreciation for them already, but I NEVER thought I'd own one.

I was daunted by the tech, and thought it wouldn't hold my attention.

I didn't mean to pee in your cornflakes. Just having some fun. Why can't we all just get along?!!

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I was daunted by the tech, and thought it wouldn't hold my attention.

Just picked my first up recently also, and while the tech is new, tearing it down & cleaning sure was a breeze

#48 4 years ago

Been playing Sing Along for the past two hours. Very challenging and the 4 hole hops across the playfield are fun to watch. Just had to adjust the kicker of the 2nd hole to make the ball hit the 3rd hole and stick more often.

Makes me want to get my Hi-Score Pool fully working again and at the top of the project list.

#49 4 years ago

Sing Along is very fun! I just spent the last hour having Central Park and North Star kicking my ass.

#50 4 years ago

I like the smell.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
6,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Morgan Hill, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, OH
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending!
Olathe, KS
$ 219.99
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 50.00
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 41.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside