(Topic ID: 101754)

Why would a switch work in test but not during gameplay?

By donjagra

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by donjagra
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have been sorting out some switch matrix problems on my DE Time Machine. I have run into a scenario where the switches work in the test mode, but they don't register during game play. Is this a rom or other memory issue? Perhaps a cold solder somewhere?

#2 9 years ago

Are you using your finger to test the switch or a ball? Does the switch work sporadically or not at all in game play? Your finger maybe able to press the switch further than the ball is capable of. Had the same issue. Just had to bend the switch lever up a bit more so the ball activated it sooner. Give that a try.

#3 9 years ago

Sometimes if another switch is already activated (drop targets?) a bad diode can keep a different switch from functioning.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Are you using your finger to test the switch or a ball? Does the switch work sporadically or not at all in game play? Your finger maybe able to press the switch further than the ball is capable of. Had the same issue. Just had to bend the switch lever up a bit more so the ball activated it sooner. Give that a try.

This would be my first guess, but more info would be helpful. How many switches exhibit this behavior and are they in the same row or column?

#5 9 years ago

Works perfectly with my finger in test. Does not work with my finger in a game. Two switches in the same column in series. The transistor kept blowing due to a short in the pop bumper, it could have easily blown some diodes. I am confused why the test treat the switches differently than game, but I will check all the switch diodes.

#6 9 years ago

Obviously a major malfunction.

#7 9 years ago

Test the diodes on the problem switches using a multimeter. If they are bad, just replace them. Then go from there.

#8 9 years ago

If the pop bumper was locked on when the transistor went bad, you need to change that diode also.

#9 9 years ago

This may sound crazy, but I had a similar issue on Time Machine with a switch doing the same thing. I drove me nuts. I replaced EVERYTHING. Switch, Diode, Transistor... Turned out to be the ROMS after figuring some stuff out that the software was not reading the switch properly in gameplay. Doesn't happen to be your left outlane does it. Anyway, I replaced the ROMS and the issue is gone.

#10 9 years ago

I changed out the coil and diode on the pop bumper. I know that one of the switches had a blown diode, but I disabled it while I wait for parts. Looks like I have some work under the hood.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-a-switch-work-in-test-but-not-gameplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.