Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ramegoom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider don44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 7 years ago

What would cause a coil to over heat and warp the coil sleeve inside? I had this happen on the ball launch coil on my Frankenstein recently and ordered a new coil and sleeve but want to make sure it does not happen again when I put in the new coil.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

If the coil locked on, that would melt the sleeve. This is likely a transistor issue on the driver board. When you put the new coil in, turn on the game and see if it immediately locks on. If not, start a game, see if it locks on when it is activated. If so, turn the game off immediately and inspect and possibly replace the TIP102 driver transistor for it (if you're experienced with electronics) and possibly the pre-driver transistor as well. You won't burn up the new coil as long as it is turned off right away after locking on.
    If not a transistor issue, something gave the coil a path to ground to energize it. Look for loose wires or metal touching nearby the coil solder tabs. Coils always have power on them at all times. They turn on when they are allowed a path to ground.

Thanks for the help, sorry to hijack post op. I replaced the coil and same problem and the wires connecting the coil are not touch any anything so maybe it is the transistor. What board is the tip 102 driver transistor on or where is it? I have replaced some transistors in the past.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider don44.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-a-coil-weaken-over-time-dumb-question-of-the-day?tu=don44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.