why would a backbox not fold down? F-14 Tomcat

By practicalsteve

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Buying an F-14 off of a fellow pinsider tomorrow but he says that he is having trouble folding the backbox down. Says that whenever he moved it in the past he has never tried to put it down and now that he is trying he is having trouble. I have an SUV and I need it to fold down. This will be an 8 hour round trip and I would hate to get down there and not be able to take it.

Anyone ever have trouble folding down a backbox and have any tips? Also I am not familiar with moving system 11 games. Do they not fold and have to be removed? I don't believe this to be the case as indicated in the manual.

Help me out pinsiders!

#2 11 years ago

You could always disconnect the conectors, it's relatively easy.
Is the backbox bolted in ?

#3 11 years ago

Maybe he doesn't know about the bolts inside ? Maybe the cabinet has been altered ie nailed down ?

Maybe the hinges are bent ?

You won't know until you get there. Bring plenty of tools.

LTG

#4 11 years ago

Take the glass off and see if it is bolted in.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Maybe he doesn't know about the bolts inside ?

Quoted from Jgel:

Take the glass off and see if it is bolted in.

Quoted from islandpinball:

Is the backbox bolted in ?

are these typically bolted in? I did not know about that so it is a safe bet he does not either.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

are these typically bolted in? I did not know about that so it is a safe bet he does not either.

um, ya!

#7 11 years ago

My bad! I should have doen my homework, just looked in the manual and saw where it says that there are bolts to secure it. I have only moved two pins before, a Mata Hari where you remove the entire backbox, and a Hurricane which either does not require bolts or did not have them anymore. thanks guys.

#8 11 years ago

I would tell the mods to delete this thread to save my pride but we can leave it up for anyone else that comes along with this problem.

Anyway, excited to get an F-14 Tomcat!

#9 11 years ago

I'm sure you're not the first. Sorry for the condescending post. That was rude.

#10 11 years ago

Out of all my (small) collection, F-14 gets the most play time by me. Simple rules, brutal speed, love it! Definately a keeper. Congrats.

#11 11 years ago

I would tell the mods to delete this thread to save my pride but we can leave it up for anyone else that comes along with this problem.

Anyway, excited to get an F-14 Tomcat!

I wouldn't delete it. Come back later and report what you found. Whether it was bolts or something else, you'll help others in the future.

LTG

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I'm sure you're not the first. Sorry for the condescending post. That was rude.

No no, I took it as some good natured ribbing. No harm no fowl.

Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Out of all my (small) collection, F-14 gets the most play time by me. Simple rules, brutal speed, love it! Definately a keeper. Congrats.

Great to hear that!

Quoted from LTG:

I wouldn't delete it. Come back later and report what you found. Whether it was bolts or something else, you'll help others in the future.

LTG

Will let you know tomorrow but since you posted also in the sellers thread about this a few minutes ago I think you know the answer.

#13 11 years ago

Love my F14! Just picked it up a few weeks ago and its sweet. Has no problems sitting next to my other machines. Congrats on the pick up.

Like LTG said just bring some tools and youll be fine. 2 bolts and that should be it.

#14 11 years ago

Will let you know tomorrow but since you posted also in the sellers thread about this a few minutes ago I think you know the answer. []

I didn't realize it was the seller. I know problems seem to come in groups like everybody working on their games with power on and shorting stuff. But I did think it strange that 2 F14's had the same issue going.

It's the bolts !

LTG

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I know problems seem to come in groups

Funny how that is sometimes, I know a while back it seemed like every other thread was a HS with an issue.

#16 11 years ago

I purchased a Cubs Triple Play that the owner had tried to force the backbox down without removing the two bolts. He managed to delaminate the bottom plywood and knock the box out of square. I saw the lightbulb light up above his head when I removed the bolts.

Some yellow glue and framing clamps has made it presentable.

#17 11 years ago

The fact that Practicalsteve didn't know about the bolts is understandable. What's hard to believe is the moron who's selling the machine didn't know about the bolts.

...and yes, fellow Pinsiders... That moron is me.

#18 11 years ago

Your Hurricane definitely came with bolts originally and really should have them put back in.

The backbox latch on the back is not sufficient to hold the head in place upright safely, in my opinion. You can get generic bolts and washers from any hardware store, but I prefer the original wingbolts which do not need tools: part# 20-9718 Wing Bolt

RussMyers

My bad! I should have doen my homework, just looked in the manual and saw where it says that there are bolts to secure it. I have only moved two pins before, a Mata Hari where you remove the entire backbox, and a Hurricane which either does not require bolts or did not have them anymore. thanks guys.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

The fact that Practicalsteve didn't know about the bolts is understandable. What's hard to believe is the moron who's selling the machine didn't know about the bolts.

...and yes, fellow Pinsiders... That moron is me.

I was so mad at this until I saw who posted this I will make you feel a little better. My friend that is loaning me the Mata Hari was super worried about me moving it. She said it was so dangerous the first time she moved it. What do you mean I asked, You remove the legs and the backbox and it's really easy. Oh, she said, we strapped it to a truck standing up on the legs and with the backbox still on. Now thats a bonehead move.

Quoted from RussMyers:

Your Hurricane definitely came with bolts originally and really should have them put back in.

The backbox latch on the back is not sufficient to hold the head in place upright safely, in my opinion. You can get generic bolts and washers from any hardware store, but I prefer the original wingbolts which do not need tools: part# 20-9718 Wing Bolt

I wish I had known, I would have replaced them immediately.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

What's hard to believe is the moron who's selling the machine didn't know about the bolts.

Nobody knows anything about the bolts. Most of the time you get machines with the bolts removed and you're similarly surprised when someone mentions the bolts. "Huh? Bolts in the backbox? But why, there's that tiny bracket thingy on the back to keep the box in place..."

A year ago I heard a story about a buyer who removed the lockbar, the glass... and lifted the playfield.
"You can do THAT?"said the astonished seller and explained what a pain it was changing the bulbs through the coin door for all those years.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Tomcat:

"You can do THAT?"said the astonished seller and explained what a pain it was changing the bulbs through the coin door for all those years.

Oh my god that is the funniest thing I have heard in forever!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

The fact that Practicalsteve didn't know about the bolts is understandable.

All but 2 of my games didn't come with bolts at all, when I went to remove them, seller was like "bolts?" Seems pretty common.

Quoted from Tomcat:

Wow! Awesome

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Tomcat:

Nobody knows anything about the bolts. Most of the time you get machines with the bolts removed and you're similarly surprised when someone mentions the bolts. "Huh? Bolts in the backbox? But why, there's that tiny bracket thingy on the back to keep the box in place..."
A year ago I heard a story about a buyer who removed the lockbar, the glass... and lifted the playfield.

Wow! Thanks! I feel better...

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Tomcat:

When I bought my Police Force I asked about the backbox key and the seller thought for a second and said "That OPENS?"

Fortunately even though the batteries were totally caked in crap none of it managed to get on the boards

#25 11 years ago

I had a friend with a Cyclone where the bolts were missing and the cabinet was only secured by the latch. One violent game shake for a save and all I heard was the crash of the backbox hitting the playfield glass, which fortunately did not break - as the latch screws gave way. I had a mess in the backbox of things like boards, fuse holders and the mystery wheel all lying loose inside. A good days repair work.

None of us realized there were supposed to be bolts in the backbox until I bought an F-14 Tomcat. Duh.

#26 11 years ago

I looked at a pin with an op who didn't know how to lift a playfield out of the cabinet. I admit, at the time I didn't know a ton about pins, but it was sad realizing I knew more about them than that guy. He didn't even know that the backglass came out and that's where the main boards were. A sad indicator as to how often his pins got serviced....

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I looked at a pin with an op who didn't know how to lift a playfield out of the cabinet. I admit, at the time I didn't know a ton about pins, but it was sad realizing I knew more about them than that guy. He didn't even know that the backglass came out and that's where the main boards were. A sad indicator as to how often his pins got serviced....

Bet he knew where the cash box was and how you get it out.

LTG

#28 11 years ago

Also something to keep in mind, if the cabinet was ever
repainted, the backbox and cabinet may have been "painted together".
You may need to use a razor blade (use a sharp one), to slit the paint
between the backbox and cabiner.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bet he knew where the cash box was and how you get it out.

I let him keep the $2 in quarters that were in it...

#30 11 years ago

I acquired an Ice Fever pin that the previous owner folded the back box down leaving the two bolts in place. So it is possible --- however the bottom of the back box remained attached to the body, but completely detached from the head. It took some woodworking and paint, but the game survived to play again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-would-a-backbox-not-fold-down-f-14-tomcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.