Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by NM
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Been hot for an F14 for a while. There appears to be a nice one with great potential for sale, but I am in Va, and the seller is in the Great Lakes region and refuses to ship even white glove where they need do nothing pretty much.

I do not understand that. Any insights out there?

Dan

#2 11 years ago

I have never shipped a game, but I'm not against it. I think most people would rather the seller and buyer both be present at the game hand-off, so there can be no question of condition/damage/etc.

Someone physically shaking your hand and handing you cash after saying "looks good to me, let's load it up" is a lot more peace of mind than some burly guys shoving your precious pin into an overloaded truck, for a potentially harrowing journey!

#3 11 years ago

You could just tell them a couple friends with a van will be over. That worked for me.

#4 11 years ago

I do not understand it either. However, i agree with rommy. Have someone here on pinside pick it up and arrange shipping with them. If it is near me I am your man.

Jason

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I do not understand it either. However, i agree with rommy. Have someone here on pinside pick it up and arrange shipping with them. If it is near me I am your man.
    Jason

Thanks Jason. I wish it were near you. Closer to Motor City. I have a couple feelers out but nothing set yet.

Quoted from pzy:

Someone physically shaking your hand and handing you cash after saying "looks good to me, let's load it up" is a lot more peace of mind than some burly guys shoving your precious pin into an overloaded truck, for a potentially harrowing journey!

You make a good point. Makes sense.

Quoted from rommy:

You could just tell them a couple friends with a van will be over. That worked for me.

I could; you are right.

Dan

#6 11 years ago

Dan, did you see the f14 on eBay? It's in parkton, md. An hour and a half drive. He wants $1800 but that's neg im sure.

#7 11 years ago

You ever make a sale on ebay with all the details of a product exposed (say cellphone with some scuff marks on it) and then have someone tell you that you have to pay to ship it back because it has scuff marks on it?

Imagine that with a pin and a $400 ship.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

I think most people would rather the seller and buyer both be present at the game hand-off, so there can be no question of condition/damage/etc.

+1
    I had a BTTF on Feebay a while back, bidding hit $1600 with over a day to go, but got a local offer for $1400 and took it just for those reasons. A handshake with everyone happy is worth a lot.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Dan, did you see the f14 on eBay? It's in parkton, md. An hour and a half drive. He wants $1800 but that's neg im sure.

Tony, yeah, there are a couple. I am looking at that, having requested some additional pics. Kissing a lot of frogs, the prince is coming soon I hope.

Thanks for the look out.

Dan

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from playboywillis:

You ever make a sale on ebay with all the details of a product exposed (say cellphone with some scuff marks on it) and then have someone tell you that you have to pay to ship it back because it has scuff marks on it?
    Imagine that with a pin and a $400 ship.

That applies to the buyer of a pin much more than the seller at least in my experience, which is that I have paid for the shipping, and the shippers attitude is if you don't want it, we will put it back on the truck and be gone. The buyer is in a no win situation at that point. I was recently in this situation.

The only options are live with what is unexpected or work something out with the seller if possible. Pay to ship a pin back? Maybe it happened.

Dan

#11 11 years ago

I guess it depends on what the hobby means to you. I know I hate to see pins leaving the Portland area and especially the Northwest. And I know people that will sell for less money just to keep the machine local. It's kind of like if you have a dog that you have to get rid of - you would rather give it to a good family instead of receive money from a questionable family. If the person is forced to sell a pin that they love, maybe it important to them to know it's going to a good home.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

That applies to the buyer of a pin much more than the seller at least in my experience, which is that I have paid for the shipping, and the shippers attitude is if you don't want it, we will put it back on the truck and be gone. The buyer is in a no win situation at that point. I was recently in this situation.
    The only options are live with what is unexpected or work something out with the seller if possible. Pay to ship a pin back? Maybe it happened.
    Dan

Ok, I was thinking more to a point of a guy on the board a few weeks ago who said he played a game, drove a few states, got home and set it up, and the game was screwed up. Had something to do with some of the guts coming loose along the way.

Like a problem that you would only find after setting it up and turning it on. Like I said, I've never had a pin shipped but I could see some people becoming a pain.

#13 11 years ago

Well, all I have to do now is win the auction. A fellow pinsider has offered to pick it up and pinsit it for me (with full playing privileges, of course, kinda of a foster home for the pin). So that is very helpful. Thanks a bunch, Eric.

Ok, I was thinking more to a point of a guy on the board a few weeks ago who said he played a game, drove a few states, got home and set it up, and the game was screwed up. Had something to do with some of the guts coming loose along the way.
    Like a problem that you would only find after setting it up and turning it on. Like I said, I've never had a pin shipped but I could see some people becoming a pain.

For sure all kinds of unfortunate things happen. In the case you cite, once you leave with the game, you really have no recourse. You have checked it out and accepted the condition it is in, and this may be what some sellers want-total closure. It's now yours! Any appeal to the seller at that point is up to his discretion. We all need to be really careful about what we are doing and seek the best advice if one has little experience.

Quoted from BeefStewert:

I guess it depends on what the hobby means to you. I know I hate to see pins leaving the Portland area and especially the Northwest. And I know people that will sell for less money just to keep the machine local. It's kind of like if you have a dog that you have to get rid of - you would rather give it to a good family instead of receive money from a questionable family. If the person is forced to sell a pin that they love, maybe it important to them to know it's going to a good home.

I can see your point. I just did a local trade with a friend giving him my MM. I wouldn't have felt bad selling it and shipping it out of state and flirted with a few such possibilities, but I was glad that Ed got the game, and that he is a serious collector.

Dan

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

I think most people would rather the seller and buyer both be present at the game hand-off, so there can be no question of condition/damage/etc.

This is the reason why I much prefer to buy/sell locally. One person's perception of a game's condition is often very different from the other person's. The only way to guarantee that both people are on the same page is for the transaction to occur in person.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

For sure all kinds of unfortunate things happen. In the case you cite, once you leave with the game, you really have no recourse. You have checked it out and accepted the condition it is in, and this may be what some sellers want-total closure. It's now yours! Any appeal to the seller at that point is up to his discretion. We all need to be really careful about what we are doing and seek the best advice if one has little experience.

No I completely agree with you. I think that's why everyone prefers the face to face thing. You shook my hand. We have a deal. Live with it. I just analogized that something might happen on the delivery truck that the seller was not aware of and then the whole "oh you bs'd me" blah blah. But oh well. Thanks for the reply man.

#16 11 years ago

No I completely agree with you. I think that's why everyone prefers the face to face thing. You shook my hand. We have a deal. Live with it. I just analogized that something might happen on the delivery truck that the seller was not aware of and then the whole "oh you bs'd me" blah blah. But oh well. Thanks for the reply man.

Are you saying tha even pinheads refuse to accept responsibility and have to have someone to blame?
    Nah....

Dan

#17 11 years ago

Tell them your sending movers to get it. It sounds less intimidating than the word shipping. Insure them if they are on the ground floor they will not have to anything except remove balls and fold header down. If needed you could talk them through that part.

Cash and Carry is always best but some titles not that possible.

#18 11 years ago

I hate shipping because it costs more to/from here. I did ship a populated PF not long ago and built a crate for it. I really did not want it to get damaged so I might have gone overboard on the crate. It is just that important to me that something that cannot be replaced not get damaged.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

But what about Part A of this equation: namely, handing over the cash to the seller in person?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-wont-people-ship-even-white-glove and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.