(Topic ID: 277910)

Why? Why do people do this.

By Pinballsoul

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20201003_232650216 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200920_225745542 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Anyone else seen this as a fix for a pin?
    About the 4th time I've seen this my self.
    Why not use the right spring! Yes it works , but...jankey.

IMG_20200920_225745542 (resized).jpgIMG_20200920_225745542 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Because the service technician did not have the correct part with him when he went to the service call on location. Goal is to get the machine up and running getting it making money. If the improvised repair works, it stays.

Looks like this one may have lasted 45 years or more.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Because the service technician did not have the correct part with him when he went to the service call on location. Goal is to get the machine up and running getting it making money. If the improvised repair works, it stays.
    Looks like this one may have lasted 45 years or more.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner winner - chicken dinner!

#4 3 years ago

I'm sure most of my games have springs that are not the specified spring. They work just fine.

In the universe of hacks this is at the bottom of the list. Are you really going to shut a working game down while you order one spring?

#5 3 years ago

Fair enough. I wasn't looking at it from a profit point of view.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballsoul:

Fair enough. I wasn't looking at it from a profit point of view.

Plus back in the day there was little if not 0 market for a collector of pinball machines and these games were destined for the junk yard as they would be replaced in a matter of a few years. From one perspective all these EMs are just gravy over profits from the operator.

#7 3 years ago

What they said above. I got my Beatles on a Saturday evening around this time last year. Just a few games in, the upper left flipper was returning to rest very slowly, sometimes not at all. It's 9pm, only option was Home Depot, a pack of various springs for about a dollar 79, tried to match it up as close as possible and had to cut a few loops off of it, still working great a year and several hundred games later.

#8 3 years ago

Ha ha. I did the same thing to a spring on my Flip a Card Ball Count Unit and felt a little guilty until now.

#9 3 years ago

There can be times when the right spring matters. I had drop targets on my Old Chicago that would not stay up on reset. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. There is some slop in the mechanism but the first step and the easiest is new springs. I got the correct spring from PBR since I had to place an order anyway and that cured it.

On steppers, though, you can usually find one that will work just fine. I've got a box full of springs and when I suspect one on a game is an issue I root through and find one close enough that works and leave it at that.

1 week later
    #10 3 years ago

Another case of. "Why do people do this?"

I found 2 of these "jumpers" "installed".

Both were not soldered and look to be the work of the same person.
    Due to a tight harness in both areas where these were found, that was the fix in someone's mind.

Fixing these eliminated a nasty hum and a power drain that made lights dim.

IMG_20201003_232650216 (resized).jpgIMG_20201003_232650216 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-why-do-people-do-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.