Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by TimMe
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jones plug catalog sm (resized).jpg
    Jones plug catalog page sm (resized).jpg
    Jones plug patent US2429810 (resized).png
    CMJ_ad (resized).jpg
    CMJ_cover (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from TimMe:

Yes, I think that may be the only patent attributed directly to Dave Gottlieb other than a couple of game design patents. I read somewhere that he was proud of that patent. If I remember correctly, he had the idea of forming the socket position with a fold-back metal flap at the bottom where the solder tab was. Closing the bottom of the socket position prevented solder from wicking up into the socket cavity, which would spoil a connector and cause delays on the production line.
    Since it doesn't look like Howard B. Jones ever patented their series 1400 connector, there was nothing to stop anyone from copying it. Gottlieb and Bally started making their own version of the connector, and Williams went in another direction with their own flat-blade connector for a while. But eventually it looks like Gottlieb, at least, started sub-contracting this part out to one or more suppliers again. This would have been in the 1960s, after the Howard B Jones company was long gone.
    It's also interesting to note that while the form factor of the Gottlieb socket position solved the solder wicking problem, the version shown in the patent drawing actually had a design flaw that caused some trouble. There is only one thin finger on the front of the socket cavity that makes positive contact with the connector pin. This finger didn't really provide enough current carrying capability, and it also had a tendency to break off, causing the connection at that position to fail. Gottlieb realized they had a problem and made an engineering change so that each socket position had a pair of ears bending in from both sides of the socket cavity. This worked much better. The ears squeezed the pin to provide better electrical contact, and having the ears on the sides made them a lot less prone to breaking off, although that still happened occasionally.
    Based on the vintage games I've worked on, it seems that Gottlieb only used the original version of their patented connector for a few years before switching over to the improved version. I worked on a 1949 Old Faithful, for example, that had the newer style connector.
    - TimMe

Your posts are always informative, learned and a pleasure to read Tim. Thank you.

1 week later
    #21 1 year ago

Sorry incorrect thread

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-we-call-it-a-jones-plug-long?tu=wayner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.