(Topic ID: 74344)

Why was Wheel Of Fortune never completed?

By jeffgoldstein2

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by joekiss
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rimshot.gif
wofplayfield.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Part_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 10 years ago

Stern owning the code didn't stop that one guy from re-writing Star Wars. Stern liked it so much, they even posted on their website as an "official" release! They certainly didn't have any more 20 year old DE Star Wars pins to sell!

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Last I heard, Stern the man or company has no rights to anything DE, so not exactly a apples-apples comparison.

Well, they posted it as an "official" Stern release....which would seem to imply Gary still considers everything from DE (and I assume Sega also) to part of his current company.

Interesting, if Stern doesn't own the DE assists, who does? The history of those three companies is fascinating to me. I hope someone does a documentary on it someday.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am the one who did the Star Wars update. Stern Pinball contacted me when they heard about it. In no part of dealing with them was there ever any mention that they did not own the Data East code. In fact, there was several references to Stern needing to protect their IP (in this case, the Data East Star Wars code). The deal was that they would allow me to finish my update and they would approve it and they would host the download file and the would retain the rights to it. I was allowed to write all about it on my website but the link to the actual download on my website was to be a link to their web site where they host the download file. The whole process was actually quite smooth and the folks I met from Stern were great guys.

Cool story! Thanks for explaining it to us in detail. I still think it so cool what you were able to do, and the cooperation by Stern is a nice contrast to how some companies work today.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Part_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-was-wheel-of-fortune-never-completed?tu=Part_3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.