(Topic ID: 74344)

Why was Wheel Of Fortune never completed?

By jeffgoldstein2

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 76 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by joekiss
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rimshot.gif
wofplayfield.jpg
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago

I really like mine eh. No doubt eh...beauty! lol BTW great avatar for sure!
Love Bob and Doug

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

10 PRINT "STERN PINBALL"
20 REM INSERT CODE HERE AND BEGIN HYPE SUBROUTINE
30 IF INCOME$ < EXPENSE$ GOTO 50
40 GOTO 10
50 END

I think this is too BASIC for everyone.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think this is too BASIC for everyone.

Waaaa waaaa waaaaah

#104 10 years ago

I think you were looking more for this.

rimshot.gifrimshot.gif
#105 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think you were looking more for this.

Exactly. Lol

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

But, in my opinion, the gameplay in WOF is one of the best of any pins I've ever played.

Anyone with a little nostalgia for EM layouts may enjoy WoF gameplay.
I do. You are not alone in this world... Happy Xmas!

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

but it was something like the stepper motor for the spinning wheel had never been done before and getting the main toy working took up too much of the design time

no

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

Stern owning the code didn't stop that one guy from re-writing Star Wars.

Last I heard, Stern the man or company has no rights to anything DE, so not exactly a apples-apples comparison.

#109 10 years ago

They should have chosen a timeless game show like "Love Connection" instead.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from jpolfer:

I'm impressed that this thread has gone nearly 100 posts with no one mentioning this podcast between Clay and Keith Johnson at all: http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/showget.php?id=63

Thanks for posting that. The last time I heard that topcast, it was new. Very interesting to look back on. I know how hard it is to lose a job through no fault of your own (as Keith seemingly did) I am glad he is back in the game! Who would have guessed that a few years later the pinball biz would be where it is at now. I hope and pray that it continues to thrive for all parties! (pinball parties)

Thank you for your hard work in pinball Keith. Working on LOTR may have given you hell at times, your efforts have given me many years of pinball bliss. I still can't wait to get your current game!

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

I think that it had to do with solving a puzzle with each contestant.

That would be sweet, I love trying to solve the puzzles alone.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Last I heard, Stern the man or company has no rights to anything DE, so not exactly a apples-apples comparison.

Well, they posted it as an "official" Stern release....which would seem to imply Gary still considers everything from DE (and I assume Sega also) to part of his current company.

Interesting, if Stern doesn't own the DE assists, who does? The history of those three companies is fascinating to me. I hope someone does a documentary on it someday.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I am the one who did the Star Wars update. Stern Pinball contacted me when they heard about it. In no part of dealing with them was there ever any mention that they did not own the Data East code. In fact, there was several references to Stern needing to protect their IP (in this case, the Data East Star Wars code). The deal was that they would allow me to finish my update and they would approve it and they would host the download file and they would retain the rights to it. I was allowed to write all about it on my website but the link to the actual download on my website was to be a link to their web site where they host the download file. The whole process was actually quite smooth and the folks I met from Stern were great guys.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am the one who did the Star Wars update. Stern Pinball contacted me when they heard about it. In no part of dealing with them was there ever any mention that they did not own the Data East code. In fact, there was several references to Stern needing to protect their IP (in this case, the Data East Star Wars code). The deal was that they would allow me to finish my update and they would approve it and they would host the download file and the would retain the rights to it. I was allowed to write all about it on my website but the link to the actual download on my website was to be a link to their web site where they host the download file. The whole process was actually quite smooth and the folks I met from Stern were great guys.

Cool story! Thanks for explaining it to us in detail. I still think it so cool what you were able to do, and the cooperation by Stern is a nice contrast to how some companies work today.

#115 10 years ago

That

Quoted from ChadH:actually quite smooth and the folks I met from Stern were great guys.

That just shows it could be done. It's good for the hobby and no lost sales would occur between Stern and JJP, but I can't see anyone allowing their resources be taken away from building new software right now. Maybe someday way out it could happen. I hope so.

#116 10 years ago
Quoted from no-extra-balls:

would I be able to play with them when they were complete?

I guess it depends on whether the second wife approves. You might have plenty of time after the second divorce.

But seriously, it's entirely possible that Keith signed a non-compete agreement when going to work for JJP. It could be a violation of his employment arrangement with JJP to do any work for a competitor's product.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Thanks for posting that. The last time I heard that topcast, it was new. Very interesting to look back on. I know how hard it is to lose a job through no fault of your own (as Keith seemingly did) I am glad he is back in the game! Who would have guessed that a few years later the pinball biz would be where it is at now. I hope and pray that it continues to thrive for all parties! (pinball parties)
Thank you for your hard work in pinball Keith. Working on LOTR may have given you hell at times, your efforts have given me many years of pinball bliss. I still can't wait to get your current game!

At the 58 minute mark is when Keith directly talks about WOF

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I am the one who did the Star Wars update. Stern Pinball contacted me when they heard about it. In no part of dealing with them was there ever any mention that they did not own the Data East code. In fact, there was several references to Stern needing to protect their IP (in this case, the Data East Star Wars code). The deal was that they would allow me to finish my update and they would approve it and they would host the download file and the would retain the rights to it. I was allowed to write all about it on my website but the link to the actual download on my website was to be a link to their web site where they host the download file. The whole process was actually quite smooth and the folks I met from Stern were great guys.

So did you write code from scratch, or did they provide the code for you as a base to start with. What kind of compiler etc did you use. I work as a developer, but i dont know much about pinball architecture or the process of developing for a pinball. Id be interested to hear more details. Does any of your experience apply to modern sam games?

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Very cool!

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from Rickwh:

So did you write code from scratch, or did they provide the code for you as a base to start with.

Neither. Reverse engineering of existing disassembled code.

This post from my Star Wars thread talks about it:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-data-east-star-wars-pinball-with-added-timed-ball-save-feature#post-241308

You can read about my new JP project here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-rules

#122 10 years ago

Still, if this pin would have had my name on it, i would finish it.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-data-east-star-wars-pinball-with-added-timed-ball-save-feature#post-241308

WOW! Assembler in school was the worst. Sounds like this project was defintely a labor of love. Awesome determination you have there! Good job.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

I can't wait for the final on JP!

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Still, if this pin would have had my name on it, i would finish it.

I would have, too. That's why the idea of him having a completed game seemed to make sense.

There was something that Mr. Johnson said in the Topcast interview and on the RGP link that interests me: That the casual player shoots each shot an average of one time (I'm assuming per 3-ball game). That's a lot less often than I would have thought. I assumed it was at least 4 or 5 times, leaning towards bash toys like MM's castle or X-Men's Wolverine heavily. That would seem to favor games with mode start scoops as opposed to "wood chopping" games like Avengers where you hit the shots over and over again.

3 weeks later
#126 10 years ago

Played this tonight. Was very unimpressed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

5,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

5,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-was-wheel-of-fortune-never-completed/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.