Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by lukerp
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Here's the question...

Why is it that so many owners are only willing to trade their machine and not sell it outright?

I have had several occasions where someone is offering the machine that I want. I have offered them cash and they declined because they only want to trade.

What gives here? It makes it very tough for those who are only going to have a very small collection or are just getting into pins for the first time. My wife certainly would not understand me buying a bunch of machines to trade up to the one that I want.

Can't you take the cash that I traded you and trade that for another pinball of your choice?

Please explain this to me!!!

Chris

#2 12 years ago

Valid question. In my case, it is because there are no machines around to purchase! Even if you gave me top dollar for a machine, it would take me weeks/months to find another, then I probably end up buying sight unseen, paying shipping/taxes/duty to get it here.

The last straight cash deal I did (MB), I had the cash sitting for about 4 months before I found the machine I wanted to buy, and it was two provinces away.

#3 12 years ago

I'll bite. If I have depreciated my machine I cannot just sell it or I will owe taxes on the sale. With a trade, not so. If we agree on an even trade no penalty for the transfer.

Also, if you get tired of a machine it is nice to trade one with another collector who has machines of CQ. Don't need the hassle of selling, shopping, then buying again? - just trade.

#4 12 years ago

Hey,

I'll toss this out there. As mentioned, there's the hassle of selling, shopping, buying, and so on. Also, it makes it a bit easier money-wise for people who already have the ball rolling. Say I have a machine going for $2,500 in my basement. If you've got some machine that's worth $3,000 that I want, and that $2,500 machine is a game you want, I only have to come up with $500, not the full $3,000.

Luke

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

I'll bite. If I have depreciated my machine I cannot just sell it or I will owe taxes on the sale. With a trade, not so. If we agree on an even trade no penalty for the transfer.
    Also, if you get tired of a machine it is nice to trade one with another collector who has machines of CQ. Don't need the hassle of selling, shopping, then buying again? - just trade.

Well said. Numero uno horse swaps don't suffer the tax man.

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

rommy said:I'll bite. If I have depreciated my machine I cannot just sell it or I will owe taxes on the sale. With a trade, not so. If we agree on an even trade no penalty for the transfer.
    Well said. Numero uno horse swaps don't suffer the tax man.

Taxes?

#7 12 years ago

You guys are paying taxes on used pinball machines you buy from private individuals? HUH?

#8 12 years ago

Cmon… Guys route them and take a depreciation schedule. Business.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

In my case, it is because there are no machines around to purchase!

This is the reason I always say I'll trade. So far I've never said trade only, but with a couple of my machines that is probably the way I'd go. It can be hard to turn up machines, even if you have cash in hand. And if you are looking for a specific title, trade bait can help.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

Say I have a machine going for $2,500 in my basement. If you've got some machine that's worth $3,000 that I want, and that $2,500 machine is a game you want, I only have to come up with $500, not the full $3,000.

Yes, but if you sell me your machine for $2500, you still only have to come up with $500 for the game you want. I'm confused what the difference is.

Quoted from rommy:

Isn't it more hassle to find someone who has the title that you want, that actually wants the title that you have, than it is to just trade using cash?

Quoted from rommy:

If I have depreciated my machine I cannot just sell it or I will owe taxes on the sale.

I understand if you are a business that is selling... but what about the regular guy that has a machine that is just for personal use. You don't pay taxes when it is a personal sale to personal sale.

#11 12 years ago

Take BBB , you could get some serious trades out of it while a lot of people would not have the cash to buy it outright.

#12 12 years ago

I don't think Rommy has his machines on route....but if anybody is trying to take a depreciation write off for pins in the home....call me when you need a tax lawyer, and if you are reporting the gain on sale of a personal pin then

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

Take BBB , you could get some serious trades out of it while a lot of people would not have the cash to buy it outright.

But if I did have the cash to buy it outright, why would you not sell it to me?

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Yes, but if you sell me your machine for $2500, you still only have to come up with $500 for the game you want. I'm confused what the difference is.

Wondered that myself but I figure it isn't worth trying to understand. If they only want to trade I don't bother. (unless it is the only machine I want...)

#15 12 years ago

If you sell the machine and it may be a while before you find the one you want, it can be tempting to use the money for something else.

The worst is when the wife finds out you've got the cash.

Bryan (CARGPB 14)
    http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The worst is when the wife finds out you've got the cash.

Lol!
    I used to sell high end AV for a local company and one day I said to a customer " Just use your secret money" He flipped out. How did I know about that!! : )

#17 12 years ago

Lordnorth I think the main reason people trade is because if I have a pin that im not crazy about I would look to trade it up for something I do want. So i dont have to come out of pocket much for the upgrade or vice versa. You get the pin you want when you loose the pin you dont want. Not having to wait, look, email and follow up on prospects for that new pin. Its all 1 nice smooth transaction. A trade is better than money. I have my newly purchased T2 that my daughter is scared of so im looking to trade for a different machine. Yes I would sell it outright but if I trade it I have a new pin when it leaves and not have to go shopping. Also a pin might hold more value with a buyer/seller then the actual cash you would get for it.

#18 12 years ago

I have machines, I don't always have cash.

The biggest reason I don't want to buy from a dealer is the tax. I figure this hobby is expensive enough.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

If they only want to trade I don't bother. (unless it is the only machine I want...)

That is kind of the situation I am in. I want a TZ, but don't think I should pay $6500 eBay prices. I have offered $4500-5000 for machines only to be told that they only want trades. (I'm almost tempted to go buy a $4000 machine and trade it for the TZ, but it is SO much more hassle. Isn't that why currency was invented in the first place?)

Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I think the main reason people trade is because if I have a pin that im not crazy about I would look to trade it up for something I do want.

I can understand that if you have something that you might have trouble unloading. But refusing cash for a TZ, TAF, MM? Really?

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

that you might have trouble unloading

I did not say that. I may have a RBION that I dont like but someone else loves. Its worth more in a trade.

#21 12 years ago

"Its worth more in a trade."

Really? I find the opposite to be true. Every time I try to do a trade I get lowballed worse than if I just do a cash sale.

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Every time I try to do a trade I get lowballed worse than if I just do a cash sale.

Sounds like some bad trades were made.

Im just giving some reason's to why I think people rather trade then sell. Me personally I will trade or sell. If I have a pin that I didnt want I would put it up for trade or sale. Cash is king. I have a guy tho that has a HUO BDK and he is using it as trade bait to get a big $$$ title. I guess this is like fishing for a shark. You cant use money bc they dont eat money. LOL

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

That is kind of the situation I am in. I want a TZ, but don't think I should pay $6500 eBay prices. I have offered $4500-5000 for machines only to be told that they only want trades.

I'd sell my TZ any day of the week for $4500. Too bad you aren't closer.

Don't get too discouraged, you will find one.

To answer your question, however, some people have more money than time and tradebait is more valuable to them.

#24 12 years ago

I love trading, it increases the pool of available pins. Once you throw one out for trade people start evaluating their collections (i.e. what could I give up to get that pin?). Pins that were not on the market yesterday suddenly are today. Plus it's a great way to meet fellow hobbyists.

I don't know why it would be surprising in a hobby of $5k toys to find that many people don't value your $ the same way you do (they have easier access to more $ than to more pins).

Tracy

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from 6S3NC3:

GoneFishinLvMsg said:

Every time I try to do a trade I get lowballed worse than if I just do a cash sale.

Sounds like some bad trades were made.

or he turned them down and took good cash offers.

anyhow, i had my tz up for trade with no luck, so i can see where gonefishin is coming from. maybe it's just that title?

#26 12 years ago

Dave> you should not be selling that TZ for anything less than $5000.

period. It is WAY too nice to let go for any less than that!

#27 12 years ago

Trade bait = trying to lure a highly sought after pin out of the hands of a collector who was not intending to sell by offering a pin that they want even more than what they have (that you want).

Also, I try to trade because I don't want to be left without a pin for who knows how long...until a decent one comes up for sale.

Usually if I sell a pin outright it is because I already bought another pin for cash.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Also, I try to trade because I don't want to be left without a pin for who knows how long...until a decent one comes up for sale.

Bingo...

This is especially bad where I live. There are no machines. If I sell a pin that I need to replace for just cash, it has to be enough to bring in one and cover the cost of shopping it out. That means $500-$1000 extra. Taxes, shipping/travel expenses, time and parts. It all adds up....quickly.

Pretty good incentive to find trades in the pin wasteland.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Don't get too discouraged, you will find one.

Thanks Dave. Logically, I know that is the case. It just feels like every time I see one sold or traded (not to me!) that there is one less machine available!

But where would the fun be if you could just go out and buy whatever you wanted, whenever you wanted it. I can't imagine you would appreciate it as much as the things that you actually have to work for.

One of my favorite quotes is from the movie "League of Their Own"

Dottie Hinson: It just got too hard.
    Jimmy Dugan: It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.

Ain't that the truth is so many aspects of life?

#30 12 years ago

6S3NC3, I have never actually traded a pin, but once I get one sold I start looking for a replacement immediately and it usually doesn't take too long.

#31 12 years ago

^Haha, you east-siders have it too easy when it comes to pins

Seems like every time I see a pin FS, and it's one I want, it's on the east coast

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

6S3NC3, I have never actually traded a pin, but once I get one sold I start looking for a replacement immediately and it usually doesn't take too long.

Well thats great! I guess we do have it good on the east coast.

#33 12 years ago

The only reason I see that trading is that much better is because you can get the other guy to do half the driving. I had my Blackout up for sale with no takers. I put it up for trade and u got a cash buyer in less than a week. Go figure. Works for me, I put the cash in the safe until something comes along that I want.

#34 12 years ago

So Im thinking about trading my Judge Dredd. Iv had a few people ask me to sell it out right, but Im not really interested. For one reason, I have a very small collection and it may be months before I find a fairly priced pin to replace it in my collection.

The other reason is to reduce the hassle of picking up a new pin. It reduces the amount of time I'll need to borrows a friend's car to pick one up and bribing my friends to help me move it.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

It reduces the amount of time I'll need to borrows a friend's car to pick one up and bribing my friends to help me move it.

Okay, the time for the car... I can see. But as for your friend to help move it... Doesn't it still entail getting your machine out of wherever, loading it into a vehicle, unloading it at the exchange site, loading the new one, unloading it when you get home, and moving it back to wherever. Looking at it that way is actually MORE work than a one way move (one extra load/unload into the vehicle).

On top of that if you get to the exchange site and one of you decides they don't like the other machine, you took all the effort to load/unload and risk damage. When I buy a machine you get the money before the machine moves. If it gets damaged moving or in transit, that is my problem not yours. Likewise, if you are the buyer the game doesn't move until I have money in hand.

It is bad enough just to drive to a place and decide the machine isn't worth buying and then have to drive home empty handed. I would be really pissed if I had to drive back home THEN wrestle the machine back into the house.

Just seems like there are so many more things to go wrong in a trade.

#36 12 years ago

I'm thinking of possibly trading my Ngg down the road I sold my Baywatch and olny have one pin so I will want to replace it ASAP but then again I might sell outright and buy something else's I think It really just depends on the situation

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

can see. But as for your friend to help move it... Doesn't it still entail getting your machine out of wherever, loading it into a vehicle, unloading it at the exchange site, loading the new one, unloading it when you get home, and moving it back to wherever. Looking at it that way is actually MORE work than a one way move (one extra load/unload into the vehicle).

I guess it depends on individual circumstances, but to get it out of the loading dock the machine needs to be lifted above our heads, or we have to bring it in the long way to get to the freight elevator.

#38 12 years ago

I find trading to just be more satisfying. When selling a game, you often have to deal with tire kickers, flakes who don't show up, lowballers, etc. And then once you actually sell the game, you have to cross your fingers and hope that "life" doesn't come along and force you to spend that money elsewhere before you have the opportunity to grab the game you're hunting.

Trades are cool because you don't have to save up cash. It's a fun way to change up the game room without the stress that can sometimes come along with it.

I'm at the point now where I only add a game (I have mostly vids, not pins) if another one leaves. I usually wind up selling once I've got my eye on something, but trading has been more fun.

That being said, anyone have a TSPP or SS that they'd like to trade for several arcade games and some cash?

#39 12 years ago

I like to trade because it keeps me from being down a pin. If I sell I have to be a pin short till I find a deal I like. It I trade I still have a full line up. Well, full for me.

#40 12 years ago

I have a couple machines I'm considering offering for trade. Why, well its interesting to see what gets offered and gives me a chance to try other machines.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

I have a couple machines I'm considering offering for trade. Why, well its interesting to see what gets offered and gives me a chance to try other machines.

oh yeah...see anything you like in my little pile? still digging that TFLE I got to play of yours here in Louisville...you can pick any 2 of mine and maybe 3 for it

#42 12 years ago

My Shadow is for trade right now. If you live semicolose to me, make me an offer

Tom

#43 12 years ago

When you offer to buy do you make an actual cash offer? I've often found that people who reply to "for trade" ads asking to buy don't make offers. Then after exchanging several emails you discover that 90% of them are really just looking for a cheap machine.

My suggestion would be to open with a strong cash offer. That way the potential seller knows you are serious about working out a deal.

PS: Johnny Mnemonic (FT)

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedquickss:

jasonpaulbauer said:I have a couple machines I'm considering offering for trade. Why, well its interesting to see what gets offered and gives me a chance to try other machines.
    oh yeah...see anything you like in my little pile? still digging that TFLE I got to play of yours here in Louisville...you can pick any 2 of mine and maybe 3 for it

I need to downsize, not upsize... If you had a MM I'd throw the TFLE and an Addams or FH ...

#45 12 years ago
    Quoted from lordnorth:

Hey,

I didn't make any sense, did I? Let's try this again. If someone has a machine I want and is willing to trade, whether up, down, or across, there's no coordination involved. If I have a less valuable game you want, ALL I have to do is come up with the extra money for you, and I don't have to do the sale. If I have the more valuable machine and I want your less valuable machine, I don't have to do a sale, and just wait for you to come up with the difference in price. On paper, dollar for dollar, there's absolutely no difference; you're right there. But as 30FathomDave said, with a trade, there's no tire kicking, lowballing, nothing. It's a one step process. Hopefully that makes it a bit more clear.

Luke

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-trade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.