Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

962483-1450698901-gumby-115 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    3AB47044-1985-442F-A64E-FDF55D3D5CDB (resized).png
    p186152_b_v8_aq (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    F6B1FF7E-0855-4804-8534-9874F6D171D5 (resized).png
    lead_large (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    54156541-C73B-4104-A13D-C613A1BB9A8E.gif
    8BCEDE76-9475-4877-841E-E084B8A56667 (resized).jpeg
    C2BB4800-AC88-4FD2-B7CD-8FB381323D8D (resized).jpeg
    29597862_841368752716403_4405956089667391720_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_4775 (resized).png
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    07fad13ceb00d0271a4eeb7d1bc07f1b.jpg
    There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

“barcade” (I hate that term but you know what I’m referring to).

what would you rather call it?

#202 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do you think any 5 year old would really notice the difference?

Pinball is not for five yr olds

#203 5 years ago

Toy Story is a good theme for pinball. Would also like one based on Cars, Lego or Monsters Inc movies.

#204 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

Toy Story COULD be a good theme. I emphasize could because if they don’t have the music and some actor callouts what is the point?

Not really that big of a deal - Woody always talks in all of the video games and toys, but it’s usually Tom Hanks’ brother Jim doing the role for those. He sounds more than enough like him to yell “Multiball!!” or “Jackpot!!”

#205 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Pinball is not for five yr olds

I guess that is the whole point of this thread.

#206 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

My 26 year old daughter can't wait for Toy Story and Harry Potter (if JJP ever does that one). Remember how a lot of people didn't think WOZ was a good theme? If it had a plain playfield with the typical boring shots and no theatrical presentation and not a good shooter, then some of the critics would blame it on a poor choice of theme. It has proven to be a great seller for JJP and lots of people think it is fantastic. It seems the good tournament type players are the biggest critics and I'm guessing that JJP is not targeting the best tournament players … just homeowners that want one to entertain family and friends. Toy Story is a long time popular and widely known theme. Theme alone wont cut it though. If it plays well, has lots of interesting shots, entertaining theme integration, and the typical JJP deep code with lots of theatrical modes, it will be a big hit. If they sell 3700-4000, of them (a little less than WOZ), it will keep their main line busy for more than 6 months. If they just keep making something on their lines that sell, they will be successful. Two a year? Well … if they make popular pins, then they would need to expand that mini-line to a second main line … or a second facility. I just hope that they don't cut back and not have all the bells and whistles, upper or lower playfields, etc. Expectations are high … game play is key … but first we will see what Wonka turns out to be. I know JJP employees are reading some of these threads … keep up the high JJP standards!

Deep theme is good and all, but if you are peddling a game like Toy Story, it better have some instant gratification. This isn't Hobbit.

#207 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess that is the whole point of this thread.

I am no fan of TS but many JJP fans will say any JJP theme put before them is fantastic. I have been thinking of getting a NIB soon and decided to not get an Iron Maden because I could not listen to the music for three to five years yes theme does matter

#208 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

decided to not get an Iron Maden because I could not listen to the music for three to five years

I could barely make it three months when I owned Metallica.

#209 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

...I have been thinking of getting a NIB soon and decided to not get an Iron Maden because I could not listen to the music for three to five years yes theme does matter

Music all the way down voices all the way up; It helps!

#210 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Music all the way down voices all the way up; It helps!

Or swap out the music for something better.

#211 5 years ago

Or sell it!

#212 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Or swap out the music for something better.

I swapped all of the songs on mine out for Baby Shark..... Much better now....

#213 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I was thinking of something more like Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Ozzy Osbourne and/or Black Sabbath!

#214 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

And THAT'S how you get the young kids into pinball!

#215 5 years ago

This may be my current potc rum talking, but seriously, this thread is ridiculous. TS is my most wanted theme second only to SW(dissapointed), and there is NO reason it won't let us down. Jjp games Rock. Just hope they have full license and manufacturing good to go. Come on jjp, bring on toystory!!!!!!

#216 5 years ago

I sure hope Gumby and Pokey is next.

962483-1450698901-gumby-115 (resized).jpg962483-1450698901-gumby-115 (resized).jpg
    #217 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I sure hope Gumby and Pokey is next.[quoted image]

I'm gonna say a big goddamn no on that on dude.
    I like them, and Mr Bill would be cool too, but if the next wave of modding includes threads on 'which kiln to get' and 'look at my shitty clay work' I'm finally going to leave.

#218 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm gonna say a big goddamn no on that on dude.

It was supposed to be kind of a joke. Fits this thread though, doesn't it?

#219 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It was supposed to be kind of a joke.

So was mine.

I mean BEST CASE it stays that way

#220 5 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

there is NO reason it won't let us down.

#221 5 years ago

As long as it has full assets it will be amazing. If it's like potc without assets, and main character call outs, I'll be dissapointed, but I would bet jjp can make it a fantastic game like they did with potc. Think lawlor play field mixed with potc creativity. Still hoping for full assets first though.

#222 5 years ago

I think it’s a great theme for pinball and will look forward to playing one.

#223 5 years ago

Wouldn't hold your breath. My guess is hardly any assets except clips and rights to reproduce art. Maybe Hanks' brother callouts. I have no idea why they don't find licences where they can attain better integration. For example, Gene did most of the callouts on Kiss, and Paul did some too. Whether you like the pin/band or not, it's super cool to hear their custom call-outs on the machine. I just don't get it. They could send out hundreds of inquiries and pick the ones that would A) sell and B) have active involvement from the licence owners. *sigh*

3 months later
    #224 5 years ago

Of course it is widely known now that WILLY WONKA will be announced and seen within a week and shipped soon thereafter. Hence TOY STORY (also from Pat Lawlor reportedly) will be JJP # 6 following WOO, TH, DI, POTC and WW.

2 months later
    #225 4 years ago

I wish JJP well
    To engage another Disney license seems crazy.
    We all know how these work out
    The constraints are ridiculous.
    Hopefully they make it work
    Just try not to set your expectations too high TS fans.
    Certainly not a theme for me but id be happy to eat my words if JJP can pull it off.

#226 4 years ago

Sure it is. Lots of families love Toy Story, and the timing is good with the movie coming out. They probably do need to get the games out faster thoughzz

3 years later
    #227 1 year ago

I got barbecued for this thread three years ago and it seems the majority of what I had initially said here is playing out before our eyes. I hadn’t expected the wild cards of 2022 pinball price escalation drama or a major step backward from innovation and technology like we saw in GNR but I have to say this thread actually aged pretty well all things considered!

#228 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

I got barbecued for this thread three years ago and it seems the majority of what I had initially said here is playing out before our eyes. I hadn’t expected the wild cards of 2022 pinball price escalation drama or a major step backward from innovation and technology like we saw in GNR but I have to say this thread actually aged pretty well all things considered!

I would not agree. The thing holding TS4 back is price. All the things you said about kids forgot it, etc hasn’t played out. People are still buying the game with a family approach- and jjp built to that deno.

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-toy-story-is-a-bad-license/page/5?hl=dw3000 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.