Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

962483-1450698901-gumby-115 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    3AB47044-1985-442F-A64E-FDF55D3D5CDB (resized).png
    p186152_b_v8_aq (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    F6B1FF7E-0855-4804-8534-9874F6D171D5 (resized).png
    lead_large (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    54156541-C73B-4104-A13D-C613A1BB9A8E.gif
    8BCEDE76-9475-4877-841E-E084B8A56667 (resized).jpeg
    C2BB4800-AC88-4FD2-B7CD-8FB381323D8D (resized).jpeg
    29597862_841368752716403_4405956089667391720_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_4775 (resized).png
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    07fad13ceb00d0271a4eeb7d1bc07f1b.jpg

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
    #151 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What seems to be missing in all of this is the happy medium.
    Sure, I have no desire for ancient rock themes or movies from the 80s or more old TV shows when it comes to new pinball games. But all that gets offered up as an alternative is a children's movie? Talk about one extreme to another!

What themes do you think should be considered?

#152 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

His hip teenage daughter suggested Suicide Squad so I guess that?

#153 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

You want to talk about a theme that is unattainable “ Song of th South”. The movie has never been released for home viewing; it has been over 30 years since it was re-released in theaters

Song of the South was in theatres as I had seen it in 1972 or 1973. The last theater release was in 1986, do not remember that.
    'Zip a Dee Dah, Zip a Dee Day! ... My, oh My, What A Wonderful Day!" Those are some positive words.

Disney has stated that this film will never be released again in North America, in any format. Have read somewhere that it was/is available on DVD in Australia, Japan, and some European countries.

#154 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Certainly not any that require any reading skills.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

His hip teenage daughter suggested Suicide Squad so I guess that?

She's 20 and here now so I asked her. SS was like two years ago. Now she says she doesn't know. Apparently three years of college can cause you to spend your time thinking about other things than what should be the next pinball theme.

She did get a good laugh however when I mentioned Toy Story was being considered.

OK so I just asked what about Spongebob? She said "Yeah, there you go!, Spongebob is always good"

I bet Disney would have liked to have gotten in on some of that action.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#155 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Toy Story is a killer franchise. Why people equate it with only children is beyond me. I was 23 when it dropped saw it opening night in a theater packed with other 20 somethings. Everyone in there was blazed and rowdy it was a total party. Still an all time classic movie and is in no way dated, it's just as watchable today.

You guys are straight up party animals.

#156 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Certainly not any that require any reading skills.

Sure.

So let's hear what YOU think would make a good pinball game other than the old timer shite you seem to disagree with.

#157 5 years ago

I'm either too lazy to look it up, or dying from the turkey I ate today, but has there ever been a Disney, kid's theme pinball machine made?

I'm indifferent to the theme, and believe Toy Story will have success if it's made/marketed/released correctly, but how do we really know when most pinball themes aren't geared toward a very young demographic?

#158 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

OK so I just asked what about Spongebob? She said "Yeah, there you go!, Spongebob is always good"

Of all the cartooons for kids SpongeBob is the only one I would consider buying as a pin.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

So let's hear what YOU think would make a good pinball game other than the old timer shite you seem to disagree with.

I already mentioned I like it when the creative geniuses that get paid to make them surprise me and a theme or game just blows me away. Not much of that lately for sure.

Action, adventure, disaster and some of the other abandoned themes like sports (traditional and extreme), racing, off roading, fishing, etc tend to grab my attention as that is what I'm into. Any of these with a modern soundtrack, whether alt rock or hip hop or both, would be great. Games that are not PC with sexy artwork would also get me enthused.

As far as old timer shit you mentioned, I'll watch old movies or TV shows, but have no desire to keep any more monuments to them around the house.

#160 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

she says she doesn't know.

That's my kid alright.

lead_large (resized).jpglead_large (resized).jpg
    #161 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Of all the cartooons for kids SpongeBob is the only one I would consider buying as a pin.

That would be an awesome license to snag for a pinball machine. Love it.

#162 5 years ago
    Quoted from RA77:

Will Toy Story be a Wide Body ?
    I think JJP is awesome for going the extra mile
    Perhaps TS may trump WillyW ?
    Either way I want to see more JJP pins in Australia !

You want to see more JJP games there is a 40ft container on it's way arriving next week, and a stow away Jack himself will help unload them

#163 5 years ago

Which Wonka movie?

#164 5 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

You guys are straight up party animals.

Well it was the first full length pure CG movie, it was a landmark of cinema. To us 20 year old, computer savvy, pot heads it was our generations Pink Floyd at the Planetarium. It was right at that time that computer nerds were becoming super cool and successful. I realized living to snowboard is hard to make last forever and have been a software engineer ever since.

#165 5 years ago

FAR Out man!

Reminds me of when me and my crew used to go to ice capades on Acid.

#166 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I asked my kid/family and they came back with Phineas and Ferb.
    F6B1FF7E-0855-4804-8534-9874F6D171D5 (resized).pngF6B1FF7E-0855-4804-8534-9874F6D171D5 (resized).png
    Spongebob is good idea but I feel that game should’ve been made by Sega when they were still open.
    (Not to mention his laugh would get annoying pretty quick in this house.)

Phineas and Ferb would make a MUCH better pinball machine than Toy Story due to all the vast/various material available. Not to mention it’d probably be a tad bit cheaper to acquire ALL aspects of the license (voicework, characters, art+music) since the creators would love the idea that their now-finished-series would be immortalized in none other than a pinball machine.
    (World under glass people!!! )

An amazing roster of well developed characters across the board; Perry alone could be an LE edition in the form of Agent P.

Jokes are well written for both adults and kids that also weaves previous situational comedy/character material throughout the shows story arc. (Which I love...)

Music for each episode has good genre variety and usually has a catchy upbeat song to go with it, which is perfect for pinball.

Callouts galore.
    Modes/mini-modes galore.
    Toys/mechanical contraptions/possibilities galore.
    Vibrant artwork.

The only downside to this theme is having to decide from all the great available content (ala B66’) what Phineas and Ferb goodness to make a cohesive game out of...

#167 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

You want to talk about a theme that is unattainable “ Song of th South”. The movie has never been released for home viewing; it has been over 30 years since it was re-released in theaters. I am surprised that splash mountain hasn’t been re-themed.
    On a separate note, we were just at Disneyland on Saturday and rode POTC. My wife did not like that they took the auction of women out of the ride.

Sots was released on home formats... just not in the US and has effectively been buried by Disney since 2001.

Disney is very PC these days... retroconning many attractions

#168 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That's my kid alright.
    [quoted image]

Mr.hand...will I pass this class?....

#169 5 years ago

i think somebody mentioned Teletubbies.

Did anybody else ever see Boohbah?

Now that was some trippy shit there.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #170 5 years ago

This.

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #171 5 years ago

Or even-

p186152_b_v8_aq (resized).jpgp186152_b_v8_aq (resized).jpg
    #172 5 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

I asked my kid/family and they came back with Phineas and Ferb.

I have to agree with Phineas and Ferb. They've even featured pinball prominently in at least one episode I can think of. Tons of source material, and P & F and pinball are very complimentary. It would've been better a few years ago while they were still being produced, but it seems that pinball is always a bit behind the curve.

I also think Toy Story would make an excellent theme. I'm always looking for family friendly themes for my location, and unless it was completely dreadful I would be handing my money directly to @gexchange for one right now if it were available!

Kevin

#173 5 years ago

Some of these licenses I've never heard of prior to this thread. Very insightful.

#174 5 years ago

My family and I love Toy Story. If done probably, I’d be a buyer. I’ve owned 2 JJP pins, they’re the best in the business. Only thing they could improve on is lowering the price.

#175 5 years ago

I’m hella jelly op...I tried hard for an epic downvote thread with my “drake pinball” thread but failed...only got like 20 or so

3AB47044-1985-442F-A64E-FDF55D3D5CDB (resized).png3AB47044-1985-442F-A64E-FDF55D3D5CDB (resized).png
    #176 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

I’ve owned 2 JJP pins, they’re the best in the business. Only thing they could improve on is lowering the price.

No there not and theres more to improve than just price.

#177 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

No there not and theres more to improve than just price.

He’s owned 2 - how many JJP’s have you owned?

#178 5 years ago

Seems like Toy Story + pinball is a great idea. Both are ridiculous and fun. Pat Lawlor?! Man, I hope so.

#179 5 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

Based on what you say most of the fools on Pinside have no business ever commenting on Bally or Williams games and with you having your collection set on private how do we know you have any business commenting on this thread

#180 5 years ago
    Quoted from mountaingamer:

I've played DI alot and enjoy the game but the theme sucks zero interest in owning any of the others I was an early buyer of TH but once I played it i backed out. WOZ is for me the worst theme in pinball and I don't care for the gameplay personally. I just had some good time on POTC and found it boring, no desire to play it again. Anything else? If someone is going to claim that JJP is the best in the biz with zero faults besides cost then I will respond in kind.

#181 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I've played DI alot and enjoy the game but the theme sucks zero interest in owning any of the others I was an early buyer of TH but once I played it i backed out. WOZ is for me the worst theme in pinball and I don't care for the gameplay personally. I just had some good time on POTC and found it boring, no desire to play it again. Anything else? If someone is going to claim that JJP is the best in the biz with zero faults besides cost then I will respond in kind.

They are not flawless, but they are a hell of a lot better than any other company in the business. Leagues ahead of Stern. Oh, and dialed in's theme has improved with code. My big complaint is the shit choices in licenses.

#182 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

Based on what you say most of the fools on Pinside have no business ever commenting on Bally or Williams games and with you having your collection set on private how do we know you have any business commenting on this thread

Just asked a question since the tone of his post was anti-JJP

Quoted from Hazoff:

Nothing else we all like what we like - pins, themes, companies. I’m rooting for JJP more as I’ve been let down by others... just my .2¢

#183 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

If someone is going to claim that JJP is the best in the biz with zero faults besides cost then I will respond in kind.

There is no manufacturer or game, past or present, that doesn't have shortcomings of one form or another.

#184 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

There is no manufacturer or game, past or present, that doesn't have shortcomings of one form or another.

Gottlieb switched from shiny chrome metal playfield posts to white plastic in 1965. The nerve of them cutting cost like that. Too bad pinside wasn't around back then to bash the hell out of them.

#185 5 years ago

I think Toy Story is a great, modern theme.

Willy Wonka?

Hmmmmm.....

#186 5 years ago

I feel like JJP puts the most effort in the way of theme integration. As far as the most fun to play, that is really a player to player opinion that cant be made to be fact.

I am looking forward to this release if true, I love the idea of a theme that will appeal largely to a much younger player base. I am not sure what other theme we have that does that as much as the Toy Story license. Exciting times for pinball for sure.

#187 5 years ago

When they make Toy Story, they need to include a Partysaurus Rex Multiball:

https://vimeo.com/51194871

#188 5 years ago

I will just note here that the trailer package for "Ralph Wrecks The Internet" includes _two_ teasers for "Toy Story 4".

#189 5 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And all those classic toys represent othe r license holders that need to be brought into the arrangement. Which is why you'll likely see generic versions, very limited examples or them just not included at all.

How many of the main characters in Toy Story are actually classic toys?
    - Mr & Mrs Potato Head (Hasbro)
    - Barbie (Mattel)

All of the other main characters are caricatures of classic toys with no license attachments.

#190 5 years ago

Etch a sketch, slinky dog, speak and spell... hot wheels, fisher price toys, lincoln logs, yeah, side characters at best...

#191 5 years ago

I'm emphasizing "main" characters. Yes, there are lots of cameo appearances for licensed toys but they aren't crucial to the story and wouldn't be missed on the pin.

#192 5 years ago

I'll admit you guys are coming up with a lot of great reasons why Toy Story would be a terrible pinball theme.

How bout most kids today would rather get an X-Box for Christmas than play with their parents stupid games.

If I still had a toddler running around I'd probably get them something like this instead. And watch them grow out of it in less than a year.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#193 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Leagues ahead of Stern

Wow.

#194 5 years ago

Toy Story COULD be a good theme. I emphasize could because if they don’t have the music and some actor callouts what is the point?

A hodge podge of toys on a PF missing the things that brought them to life and the theatrics would be a HUGE miss!

#195 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

if they don’t have the music and some actor callouts what is the point?

Do you think any 5 year old would really notice the difference?

#196 5 years ago

Pinball people are funny to me. If a videogame gets a movie license, Toy Story or otherwise, gamers all know it's going to be shit, because licensed games are shovelware for grandparents to buy for birthdays. You're on the B team if you have to work on the lame licensed game.

Pinball people though, they can't get enough grandma games, they demand them.

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

licensed games are shovelware for grandparents to buy for birthdays.

I resemble that remark.

But you probably never played "Spongebob, Battle For Bikini Bottom".

#198 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Do you think any 5 year old would really notice the difference?

Since you asked and I have kids in that age bracket I’m qualified to answer this...simple answer, YES!

And 5 year olds aren’t the ones dropping the coin either.

#199 5 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

5 year olds aren’t the ones dropping the coin either.

It probably wouldn't do very good on location then either.

#200 5 years ago

My 26 year old daughter can't wait for Toy Story and Harry Potter (if JJP ever does that one). Remember how a lot of people didn't think WOZ was a good theme? If it had a plain playfield with the typical boring shots and no theatrical presentation and not a good shooter, then some of the critics would blame it on a poor choice of theme. It has proven to be a great seller for JJP and lots of people think it is fantastic. It seems the good tournament type players are the biggest critics and I'm guessing that JJP is not targeting the best tournament players … just homeowners that want one to entertain family and friends. Toy Story is a long time popular and widely known theme. Theme alone wont cut it though. If it plays well, has lots of interesting shots, entertaining theme integration, and the typical JJP deep code with lots of theatrical modes, it will be a big hit. If they sell 3700-4000, of them (a little less than WOZ), it will keep their main line busy for more than 6 months. If they just keep making something on their lines that sell, they will be successful. Two a year? Well … if they make popular pins, then they would need to expand that mini-line to a second main line … or a second facility. I just hope that they don't cut back and not have all the bells and whistles, upper or lower playfields, etc. Expectations are high … game play is key … but first we will see what Wonka turns out to be. I know JJP employees are reading some of these threads … keep up the high JJP standards!

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-toy-story-is-a-bad-license/page/4?hl=willsmuz8999 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.