Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 228 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

962483-1450698901-gumby-115 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    3AB47044-1985-442F-A64E-FDF55D3D5CDB (resized).png
    p186152_b_v8_aq (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    F6B1FF7E-0855-4804-8534-9874F6D171D5 (resized).png
    lead_large (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    54156541-C73B-4104-A13D-C613A1BB9A8E.gif
    8BCEDE76-9475-4877-841E-E084B8A56667 (resized).jpeg
    C2BB4800-AC88-4FD2-B7CD-8FB381323D8D (resized).jpeg
    29597862_841368752716403_4405956089667391720_n (resized).jpg
    IMG_4775 (resized).png
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    07fad13ceb00d0271a4eeb7d1bc07f1b.jpg
    There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
    #101 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

If we are going in for little kids themed machines from the 1990s,why not a Teletubbies game. Or maybe a Blues Clues or Barney machine?

Do you have kids? Teletubbies' target market is infants (or young toddlers) with almost zero appeal to anyone over that age. Toy Story is more targeted towards school age kids, plus it has that second level of humor that appeals specifically to adults. This should be obvious, but there is more depth to Toy Story then Teletubbies, Blues Clues, or Barney. In my opinion, this depth is why Toy Story works while the others you compared it to will not work.

#102 5 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

You feel very strongly about Toy Story I see.

I feel even more strongly when someone thinks Teletubbies and Barney are in the same category for themes. There's hyperbole, and then there's being downright incorrect. Your attempt to directly link Toy Story to these baby shows is either a swing and a miss in the humor category, or a confirmation that you have no idea what you're talking about.

#103 5 years ago

Probably no idea what youre talking about is the most likely explanation.

#104 5 years ago

Yeah Toy Story is a hard no for me.

#105 5 years ago

I will start this off by saying Toy Story is not a theme for me. However, if the rumors are true and we get a Pat Lawlor / Toy Story it will be the closest thing to a slam dunk JJP has had yet. If you are into JJP games and have kids, you will be buying. Hopefully after this turns into a cash cow for JJP they will grab the "Nightmare Before Christmas" licence. That would be a match made in heaven for them.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Toy Story is a killer franchise. Why people equate it with only children is beyond me.

I'm thinking the same thing about Incredibles. Absolutely love those movies - more than my kids do.

#107 5 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

However, if the rumors are true and we get a Pat Lawlor / Toy Story it will be the closest thing to a slam dunk JJP has had yet.

Yeah. I just don’t see how it would’nt be the best seller of theirs. With ease.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Sure some JJP games are routed. But you are not going to see a lot of 9K pinball machines on location. It's just not a good business decision so I wouldn't really factor that small amount of sales in. You would be JJP's top customer if you spent $63000 on Toy Story games. Good for you and for your locations if you can do that, I don't see how it's profitable though. Add in that if the game has issues like most have you will have 7 down games to deal with all at once.

Games, especially pinball go down a lot. But that is the nature of the operation. I am simply speaking from a theme standpoint. It would be desirable at many different locations. If the game can earn decent at each it is a winner.

#109 5 years ago

Complaints about the quality of the CGI from toy story is absurd. Pixar literally set the bar, killed cell based animation from other studios, and there are countless films from other studios that followed the animation style... the first film has a few issues, but those can be left out out as desired. There is plenty of content to choose from.

#110 5 years ago

Also there is the power Disney brings to this to automatically make it a very very recognized IP.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Yeah Toy Story is a hard no for me.

Same here. And I like Pixar stuff. Incredibles would translate to pinball much better IMO. Many seem to disagree though. Sounds like Toy Story will sell.

#112 5 years ago

Now from a PRODUCTION standpoint there are a lot of land mines with this title:

1) Do you get Tom Hanks and Tim Allen speech? Remember the closed space helmet from Apollo 13?
    2) Are there restrictions on the 3rd party toy characters? (Potato Head, Slinky Dog, Barbie)
    3) Working with Disney (who now control 40% of movie licenses UGGG)

#113 5 years ago

All I know is that I am going to start hoarding Hallmark ornaments to resell to the the glue-shit-everywhere-on-my-playfield crowd.

#114 5 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

...to the the glue-shit-everywhere-on-my-playfield crowd.

Have some goddamn respect sir, their name is "Pinside" and you should address them accordingly!

#115 5 years ago

I look at it this way.

For me, Toy Story, GNR, and Willy Wonka would EASILY beat the themes on ALL 4 machines JJP has already turned out.

That's a big start. If DI is a reskin, I'm in if it's Wonka or Toy Story. Not interested in any WOZ reskin at all.

#116 5 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Not interested in any WOZ reskin at all.

Not even an Evil Dead or Hudson Hawk reskin would make me get a WOZ

#117 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'm thinking the same thing about Incredibles. Absolutely love those movies - more than my kids do.

Totally agree Pixar is at it's best with the movies that work on two levels. Incredibles was way more a movie about Fatherhood than it was about Super Heros.

#118 5 years ago

Why toy story is a bad license: I don’t like it.

Why toy story is a good license: I like it.

Fascinating. We should do one of these threads for every possible license.

#119 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty sure we have

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why toy story is a bad license: I don’t like it.
    Why toy story is a good license: I like it.

Exacttly:
    WOZ= great
    GOT= meh
    Aerosmith=terrible
    Toy Story= Fantastic.

You can go around and around with threads based on personal opinion. God knows there are a lot of them here on Pinside. I have my personal preferences. I like Toy Story and would love to own a pin based on that theme

#121 5 years ago

Can we at least wait till it's announced before...

IMG_4775 (resized).pngIMG_4775 (resized).png
    #122 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

But it's not $7500 and it's also not going to start being $7500 because you are mad about it.

Mad LOL no I just will not waist kind words on an overpriced and overhyped game that may never come out

#123 5 years ago

I think this will appeal to the people that are younger coming into the hobby. I'm 40, so I was 16-17 (just starting to drive) when Toy Story came out. Toy Story was the first ever full-length, 3D animated movie in history. It holds a pretty big importance for me as in opened alot of doors in my field of work. These movies have been viewed by young and old for the past 25 years. Now flip the coin, I have never seen an episode of Munsters, I've never seen the beatles live or bought one of their albums. What I'm trying to say is Toy Story = new generation of pinball player, Munsters, Beatles, Jaws = older generation of players. I do believe it's good business to try an appeal to the younger crowd to keep a good and healthy customer base. We can't all have all old folk's pins

#124 5 years ago

Like it or not, a Toy Story pinball machine will open up the door for future pinball themes of all the other great Disney children's movies from the past that the mostly 40+ year old adults on this website have been dreaming of-

Cinderella
    The Aristocats
    Finding Nemo
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks
    Bambi
    Song of the South
    Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier
    Old Yeller
    Darby O’Gill and the Little People
    Son of Flubber
    The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
    The Barefoot Executive
    Escape to Witch Mountain
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Lion King
    101 Dalmations

and of course Dumbo to name a few.
    29597862_841368752716403_4405956089667391720_n (resized).jpg29597862_841368752716403_4405956089667391720_n (resized).jpg

#125 5 years ago

Wonka has nostalgia for older pinheads that have the cash to pay for an expensive jjp machine. Who doesn't love Gene Wilder???

Toy story is meh, and will draw a few kids and younger adults on location. Less sales to the pin market in my opinion. I would never buy it, and I don't consider myself too picky about theme. Adult themes or at least age-neutral themes are a must though. Agree with Ben about licensing limitations and hassles.

At least it's not a "previously Stern" theme like Pirates, and I'm happy that jjp continues to make machines. Hell of a company.

#126 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Like it or not, a Toy Story pinball machine will open up the door for future pinball themes of all the other great Disney children's movies from the past that the mostly 40+ year old adults on this website have been dreaming of-
    Cinderella
    The Aristocats
    Finding Nemo...
    [quoted image]

Too much time on your hands obviously

#127 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Let's quickly check in with the new Toy Story Land at Disney Hollywood Studios at (only!) 9:43am this morning...
    [quoted image]
    Yeah, no one gives a damn about Toy Story anymore.

Not like every other ride at Disney doesn't have an over an hour wait on a holiday weekend.

Surprised you aren't pimping a Dumbo pinball game as well. Toy Story land might be re-themed three or four times and Dumbo will still be standing. They are already ripping out Bugs Land and Monsters Inc at the land.

#128 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Again - this discussion isn’t about the relevance of Toy Story as a brand in our culture, that is indisputable of course. The issues I laid out are specifically addressing why i feel it has very little relevance and alignment with the pinball market and will be a tough sell. The markets and demographics just don’t align in my opinion. Not everything, regardless of how popular, will make a good pinball license. How about Hatchimals? American Girl? LEGO (NOT licensed LEGO themes, just generic LEGO)? There are many massive brands that have amazing market penetration but would make horrible pinballs. If that theme park had 10 Toy Story pins lined up in a cafe or gift shop or something I bet most would sit idle the majority of the time other than the curious middle aged man who stumbled over for a single game.

Worthless thread that few would agree with. Toy Story will be huge and if a theme park had 10 GNR's in a gift shop, they wouldn't get played either. You have made zero valid points and think The Hobbit is a good game, lol....

#129 5 years ago

I think the point he's making is with all the pinsiders saying they want old man themes because no young people are buying or can afford or even care about pinball machines, then why all the sudden a children's theme?

#130 5 years ago

Do you get a pinside achievement for -60 or more downvotes on a single post?

#131 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think the point he's making is with all the pinsiders saying they want old man themes because no young people are buying or can afford pinball machines, then why all the sudden a children's theme?

Maybe its because we are not all old men who want shit themed rock band games, that I will add, HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE. Or maybe its because some of us have families and actually care about them getting involved and playing too. Nah, that makes zero sense.

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Maybe its because we are not all old men who want shit themed rock band games, that I will add, HAS ALREADY BEEN MADE. Or maybe its because some of us have families and actually care about them getting involved and playing too. Nah, that makes zero sense.

What seems to be missing in all of this is the happy medium.

Sure, I have no desire for ancient rock themes or movies from the 80s or more old TV shows when it comes to new pinball games. But all that gets offered up as an alternative is a children's movie? Talk about one extreme to another!

I understand wanting to get the kids involved, but they grow up fast and they will be over any pinball theme in no time, especially one for the 10 and under crowd. Trust me on that one.

#133 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What seems to be missing in all of this is the happy medium.

Sure, I have no desire for ancient rock themes or movies from the 80s or more old TV shows when it comes to new pinball games. But all that gets offered up as an alternative is a children's movie? Talk about one extreme to another!

Can you give some examples of any licensed themes you would be interested in?

#134 5 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Can you give some examples of any licensed themes you would be interested in?

I prefer it when the creative geniuses that make these games that cost so much money come up with the themes that surprise me and just blow me away! That's always been part of the excitement of pinball for me.

I will admit there have been quite a few surprises lately.

And I do appreciate Toy Story for what it was. I got pretty good scores on Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania when my daughter was under 10 and we used to go there. And we'd stop and piece together a Mr. Potato Head on the way out.

#135 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I got pretty good scores on Buzz Lightyear

Yeah, but can you beat MY GC Spicoli?
    8BCEDE76-9475-4877-841E-E084B8A56667 (resized).jpeg8BCEDE76-9475-4877-841E-E084B8A56667 (resized).jpegC2BB4800-AC88-4FD2-B7CD-8FB381323D8D (resized).jpegC2BB4800-AC88-4FD2-B7CD-8FB381323D8D (resized).jpeg
    Too bad Disney didn’t bother to get with the current times and spring for the seventh digit.
    Or at the very least, let me roll it.

#136 5 years ago

Yeah, screw the pinball machine. It looks like I may have to use the funds to renew that annual pass now.

Nimble, has the price gone up much in the last 10 years?

#137 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheGunnett:

Disney’s opened Toy Story lands in several of there theme parks across the world this year. 11 acres in Hollywood Studios Florida, California and Shanghai. A new movie comes out next year!
    Guns and Roses was a good band but I don’t see a reunion tour anytime soon. Isn’t Axel performing with AC/DC? Willy Wonka, good title but why now ? If any of the rumors are true , Toy Story is the only relevant title and the original is 23 years old now, I’d say it has nostalgic memories for many and can reach a younger audience.

GnR has been on a reunion tour for almost 2 years and absolutely tore the place down, racking in millions. I saw them in concert and they were incredible. GnR has aged really well.

Toy Story - could care less. I don't think it's a bad theme though. Pirates is worse.

#138 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

has the price gone up much in the last 10 years?

54156541-C73B-4104-A13D-C613A1BB9A8E.gif54156541-C73B-4104-A13D-C613A1BB9A8E.gif
    #139 5 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

GnR has been on a reunion tour for almost 2 years and absolutely tore the place down, racking in millions. I saw them in concert and they were incredible. GnR has aged really well.

GNR was an awesome band and the last time I saw them T-2 was the latest and greatest pinball machine. First time, the original High Speed had just come out.

With the newer technology, this one should have better audio and an expanded song list over what the game from 25 years ago had.
    Has it really been 25 years?

One in a Million
    I Used To love Her
    My Michelle (full song this time}
    Back Off Bitch
    You're Crazy
    Out To Get Me
    Pretty Tied Up

would be some great material JJP could work with.

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Cinderella
    The Aristocats
    Finding Nemo
    Bedknobs and Broomsticks
    Bambi
    Song of the South
    Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier
    Old Yeller
    Darby O’Gill and the Little People
    Son of Flubber
    The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
    The Barefoot Executive
    Escape to Witch Mountain
    The Little Mermaid
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Lion King
    101 Dalmations
    and of course Dumbo to name a few.
    [quoted image]

You want to talk about a theme that is unattainable “ Song of th South”. The movie has never been released for home viewing; it has been over 30 years since it was re-released in theaters. I am surprised that splash mountain hasn’t been re-themed.

On a separate note, we were just at Disneyland on Saturday and rode POTC. My wife did not like that they took the auction of women out of the ride.

#141 5 years ago

I think it could be a cool imaginative theme for families but I would go a slightly different direction compared to the movies and create a new Toy Story Pinball Adventure something like what I posted in another thread:

Story
    - use the characters but use a fresh story line to stop Zerg from taking over the universe

Challenges
    - collect the characters
    - main mission is to collect parts for Buzz's real space ship, depending on parts collected will determine the spaceship's destination and wizard mode
    - collect toy parts from Sid's yard to add to the space ship
    - soliders do a recon mission to find parts (at Stern, Spooky, Americian Pinball, Deeproot, but don't bother with Homepin)
    - definitely go to the arcade and collect the aliens as you need them for the language translation - then may as well dive into a JJP pinball game while at the arcade to retrieve some parts and incorporate JJP's other games on the screen and 3d walk around in the world of that game on the screen
    - fly to say 1 of 3 planets / worlds (depending on the ship you built) to save the planet from Zurg's universe take over, if you defeat the wizard mode and save the planet you then fly directly to another planet as you get spaceship upgrades and you choose the planet.

Characters
    - Buzz, Woodie, Jessie, Rex, slinky dog, potato head, Aliens (Claw Machine), Rex, the green army soldiers , Emperor Zurg

Ramps
    - a slinky dog ramp where the slinky coil goes around the ramp and maybe the ramp could stretch out to place the ball in a new area once some goals are achieved say 300mm long then stretches to 350mm long and then 400mm long.
    - also have a bright orange hotwheels track with a loop or a jump and depending on the speed on the ramp could be - slow lands on the playfield, medium gets to a lower ramp and high speed gets to a higher ramp and a better adventure

The planets could have weird planet names but the 1st letter of each planet can be be from J - J - P (Jersey Jack Pinball)

#142 5 years ago
    Quoted from BigT:

You want to talk about a theme that is unattainable “ Song of th South”. The movie has never been released for home viewing; it has been over 30 years since it was re-released in theaters. I am surprised that splash mountain hasn’t been re-themed.

On Pinside, we refer to that as a "Dream Theme".

Quoted from BigT:

On a separate note, we were just at Disneyland on Saturday and rode POTC. My wife did not like that they took the auction of women out of the ride.

I heard the POTC pinball game not only includes the auction, but has the wenches and the pirates running in circles in three different directions.

#143 5 years ago

Toy Story? thats the new theme? meh, it will be yet another "Flintstones" or "Shaq".

#144 5 years ago

Closing in on 100 down votes.

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Not shocking, this is pinside after all. But I am pleasantly surprised by how this dialogue has been overall very civil regardless of the stupid post voting functionality. There is hope for this group yet! We CAN actually have a discussion ripe with differing opinions and for the most part keep it civil!

#146 5 years ago

In general I've always used the voting system as an agree/disagree rather than dumping on the OP. This perspective also keeps things more civil.

#147 5 years ago

Toy Story - not a bad theme, just not for me

GnR - ditto

Wonka - I'd probably bite

one pinheads opinion.......

#148 5 years ago

I'd play Toy Story in a New York minute

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

So does that mean there are at least 100 people on this website that want to pay $10,000 for a pinball machine themed after a children's movie?

Man, I wonder what would happen if they ever decided to do an adult theme.

#150 5 years ago

Means your in the vocal, overbearing, obnoxious minority.

There are 228 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-toy-story-is-a-bad-license/page/3?hl=genjuro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.